Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08 | 02:47 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

isnt someone onhere getting the headers installed today?
Old 03-05-08 | 02:49 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Waiting on CrazyIS.
Old 03-05-08 | 03:34 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

woot I hope he makes a video ASAP while rolling out of the shop!
Old 03-05-08 | 03:52 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
^^ explain.. you have a custom piggy-back ecu...
My piggy back only adjusts AFR. I would never try adjusting timing. That level of tuning is like black magic.
Old 03-05-08 | 05:48 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
My piggy back only adjusts AFR. I would never try adjusting timing. That level of tuning is like black magic.
with an SAFC couldnt you use it just for changing to AFR for maximum performance with headers and what not
Old 03-06-08 | 06:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
with an SAFC couldnt you use it just for changing to AFR for maximum performance with headers and what not
Sure. That's really all the SAFC does.
Old 03-06-08 | 08:17 AM
CrazyIS
Rookie

Hey guys,

I got my headers on yesterday!
I ended up going back to work after, and I worked pretty late last night so I didn't get a chance to make a video yet, but I will try today.

Anyways here is what I think of the headers so far..

After we rolled it out of the garage it sounded a little raspy. After about 5 miles the raspy sound went away. At first I didn't fill any change in power or torque, but after about 20 miles of freeway driving things changed. The car definitely has more get up and go. Especially when you slow down in a high gear there is less of a need to down shift. Accelerating off the line is a lot quicker. Overall I am beginning to feel like I have something close to a sport car. As of right now I have put 40 mile on these headers and as of right now I think it was worth the money. Thanks Daniel.

As for the sound...

I have to admit that my car is louder now. It’s quite at idle. When driving at normal speeds and acceleration below 3000 rpms you begin to get a deep rumble sound, that wasn't there before, compared to just having the tanabe and the afe intake. Over 4000 rpms the car begins to growl a little louder than it did before, but with the addition of this deep base under-tone that enters the cabin. That deep base sound is what is bugging me a little bit. Will have to see if that changes over time. Overall on the sound, it’s not that bad. I liked how quite it was with just the intake and the tanabe better, but like I said the increased sound it is not all that bad, and it makes the car seem pretty tough. Plus the increased performance makes up for it.

I will try and get video of the sound tonight.
Old 03-06-08 | 08:41 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

How long did it take to install?

Also, the fact that you have intake and exhaust may be whats causing the extra noise. Daniel's IS250 didn't have exhaust or intake.
Old 03-06-08 | 08:57 AM
Smooth 1
Driver

Man, I need some Dyno numbers!! I can't believe he put the headers on and let you out of the garage without getting that and seeing what the power curve looks like.
Old 03-06-08 | 09:45 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by CrazyIS
Hey guys,

I got my headers on yesterday!
I ended up going back to work after, and I worked pretty late last night so I didn't get a chance to make a video yet, but I will try today.

Anyways here is what I think of the headers so far..

After we rolled it out of the garage it sounded a little raspy. After about 5 miles the raspy sound went away. At first I didn't fill any change in power or torque, but after about 20 miles of freeway driving things changed. The car definitely has more get up and go. Especially when you slow down in a high gear there is less of a need to down shift. Accelerating off the line is a lot quicker. Overall I am beginning to feel like I have something close to a sport car. As of right now I have put 40 mile on these headers and as of right now I think it was worth the money. Thanks Daniel.

As for the sound...

I have to admit that my car is louder now. It’s quite at idle. When driving at normal speeds and acceleration below 3000 rpms you begin to get a deep rumble sound, that wasn't there before, compared to just having the tanabe and the afe intake. Over 4000 rpms the car begins to growl a little louder than it did before, but with the addition of this deep base under-tone that enters the cabin. That deep base sound is what is bugging me a little bit. Will have to see if that changes over time. Overall on the sound, it’s not that bad. I liked how quite it was with just the intake and the tanabe better, but like I said the increased sound it is not all that bad, and it makes the car seem pretty tough. Plus the increased performance makes up for it.

I will try and get video of the sound tonight.
You are very welcome! Exactly what I felt! The car is just easier to drive. The sound should get a little better with some more miles on there.

The install took about 4 hours.
Old 03-06-08 | 09:46 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by Smooth 1
Man, I need some Dyno numbers!! I can't believe he put the headers on and let you out of the garage without getting that and seeing what the power curve looks like.
The dyno has been done:

Old 03-06-08 | 11:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Wow. The stock header is really even crappier than I first thought, or the OEM cat is a whole lot more restrictive than I though. Probably a combination of both.

There's obviously something in the VVTi making the big torque spike at 3k. It sure would be nice to be able to play with it through software to see if it could be smoothed out a bit.

What was the difference between the blue and the red runs?
Old 03-06-08 | 04:26 PM
chums
Lead Lap

excellent news, crazyis! thanks for being the first to buy and test the new headers! hopefully ill be able to buy my own after i move back home in fall
Old 03-06-08 | 05:02 PM
Smooth 1
Driver

Originally Posted by mazzuri
The dyno has been done:

But this is the 250 right? I know the exhaust configuration is simular, but it's still not the 350. I'd love to do the headers, but I would really like to see how it changes the torque curve, and if it really raises the average hp across the usable revs, or if it justs creates a higher peak. And from what I have benn looking at, it almost seems that you would have to run a piggyback on the ECU to really help shape the power. So, if I were to just put the headers on, what does that look like and how much different or better would it be to put the piggy back on? Suddenly it doesn't look like it's a few bolts and few hours changing headers, but tuning and dyno ing also. Am I reading to much into this?
BTW, Mazzuri, hats off anyway for a great job on the headers.
Old 03-06-08 | 07:03 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

WOOT WOOT!

my NEW wish list.
Intake.
Mazzuri Headers.
Custom Exhaust 2.5 inch true dual w/ carbon ti tips.
75 shot of juice.

call it a day.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers