Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 06:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fail to see how a set of pipes can "break in" in such a way that the sound will change. It's not like the sound deadening material is changing over a few hundred miles. I think that you are just getting used to the sound.

On a side note, If I were you, I would disable that nag light on the tachometer right away. It's coming on WAY too soon!
Old 03-08-08, 10:48 AM
Smooth 1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the sound does change as the seals conform. I know that alot of exhaust systems have slight leaks until they heat up and cool down a few times and the seals close up and tighten. I think that's why there is some sound changing as it "breaks" in so to speak.
Old 03-08-08, 11:55 AM
CrazyIS
Rookie

AN ISSUE WITH THE HEADERS. I need some help on.
Twice so far when I am in traffic the check engine light has come on, and a warning that says CHECK VSC. The car goes into some kind of safty mode and I am forced to find a place to pull over.
All I need to due, to recover is turn off the car and turn it back on and I am good to go. Both times it happened I was in traffic coasting between nuetral, 2nd, and 3rd gear.
Should I be worried? What can I do to prevent this?
Old 03-08-08, 12:15 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CrazyIS
Twice so far when I am in traffic the check engine light has come on, and a warning that says CHECK VSC. The car goes into some kind of safty mode and I am forced to find a place to pull over.
All I need to due, to recover is turn off the car and turn it back on and I am good to go. Both times it happened I was in traffic coasting between nuetral, 2nd, and 3rd gear.
Stop by an AutoZone, and ask them to pull the diagnostic codes. It is a free service.
Old 03-08-08, 12:27 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by CrazyIS
I posted about this on the previous page, to see if any one knows something I don't. At this point I am almost positive it's one of two things.

1. I had the issue when the car was cold, but never in traffic. Jay (the 1st guy to buy a set) so far has 120 miles or so with the header and has not gotten the same warning. So one of the reasons I think this is happening to us CA folk is our cheap gas. It would be more prone to knock and would make sense for me to get it when the car is cold and under load and in traffic when the engine gets hotter. Like I said earlier when i did a full tank of 100 with the header I had no issues at all.

2. It may be a random misfire here and there, due to the A/F being on the lean side in the lower RPMS, if that is the case adding some fuel should take care of it for good.

Working with Toyotas I don't usually see a misfire from a lean mixture, but this engine is very different and with it's very high compression it may be much more sensitive... If I had to pick one, I think it's number 1 that is causing the problem. Since Jay has been filling up 93 and has had no problems.

As far as safety, that is why it goes in to that safe more to protect everything, so a random knock or a misfire will not hurt anything as there are safety measures built in to protect the engine.

Old 03-08-08, 01:15 PM
CrazyIS
Rookie

Danial where did you buy 100 octane around here?
I put octane booster before the second check engine. That didn't work, but let me try the 100 octane fuel.
Old 03-08-08, 01:42 PM
mazzuri
Driver

The only place I know is at the end of the 110 when you are heading to Pasadena. I think it's North. Rigth when the freeway ends there is a gas station on the right. They sell 100 there.

Last edited by mazzuri; 03-08-08 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 02:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

A can of octane booster probably only increased your tank of 91.0 to probably 91.5.
Old 03-08-08, 10:57 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...0&d=1197319229

from
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...50100&t=528974
Old 03-09-08, 06:00 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

What is the point of this?
Old 03-09-08, 09:25 AM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I think hes answering a question for another member about where to get 100 octane gas.
Old 03-09-08, 10:58 AM
CrazyIS
Rookie

Thanks teejay and Danial. I am going to stop there this week and try the 100 octane out and see if thats it.
Old 03-09-08, 12:01 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
100 octane locations in the wonderful CARB state of CA. There use to be a way to search for 100 octane through 76's website but couldn't find it so sent that link instead.

If 100 octane resolves your problem then this makes an interesting mod for CA owners. Let us know how much the 100 octane costs! 91 right now is about $3.75...
Old 03-09-08, 01:26 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

lol I don't see how this is really a fix even if 100 octane takes care of the problem. 100 octane must be like 8 bucks a gallon or something. Maybe for a track car or something it's worth considering.

If these are the kind of problems that we can expect then these headers are in no way ready for primetime yet.
Old 03-09-08, 05:29 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

well 93 octane seems to be working for the one guy. my question is why wasn't he filling up with 93 in the first place? isn't that the recommended type for our car? only the 350?

i think the sound is fantastic on the 250 from what i hear, hope the 350 isn't all too loud. i'm sure it will be powerful regardless. u go daniel

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers