Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 04:48 PM
CrazyIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Do you have, or know someone who has an OBDII datalogger? It would be very interesting to see your long term fuel trims and ignition timing curves. For all we know, the ECU might be retarding timing and running rich to correct the issue that was causing the CEL.
No Idea what an OBDII is so I probably don't know of anyone with one.
Old 03-27-08, 06:33 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have, or know someone who has an OBDII datalogger? It would be very interesting to see your long term fuel trims and ignition timing curves. For all we know, the ECU might be retarding timing and running rich to correct the issue that was causing the CEL.
I agree.. Has the ECU been completely reset yet. I'd like to see it reset then drive another 300 miles, check A/F ratios then.
Old 03-27-08, 07:03 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I agree.. Has the ECU been completely reset yet. I'd like to see it reset then drive another 300 miles, check A/F ratios then.
I totally disagree on the reset ECU. Fully settled fuel trims and timing curves after several hundred miles are WAY more significant than reset / default values.
Old 03-27-08, 08:28 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

The OEM Lexus scantool communicates exceptionally fast especially if only a few parameters are selected. It can datalog the engine's data list information for several minutes. I don't think aftermarket can do so. Most OEM manufacturers use multiple communication protocals on the OBD-II port. Lexus uses their own and a lot of systems in the vehicle can be communicated with and in some cases different selections can be made. There isn't any support from the aftermarket currently and I seriously doubt they would ever come close to figuring even one of them out.

I might be able to install these headers in someone who is dying to try them out (Combfilter) and post some of the results before and after. I know I can datalog the MAF meter's input, injector duration and A/F output with speed and rpms and plot a graph. The installation of the headers if it nets a gain would be apparent with increased MAF signal and injector duration. The manifolds simply won't make any gains unless there is more air moving thru the engine.
Old 03-27-08, 09:00 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hehe If I was dying to have them, I would have already bought a set.

I have a lot of faith that mazzuri makes a good product and the price is reasonable. Just want to see more data come in regarding is350's with these. I would also have to go to a much more quiet exhaust such as stock. My borla is already loud enough.
Old 03-27-08, 10:33 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

thats what im gonna do.. install the headers and then remove my magnaflow mufflers and put back on the stock ones..

Originally Posted by combfilter
hehe If I was dying to have them, I would have already bought a set.

I have a lot of faith that mazzuri makes a good product and the price is reasonable. Just want to see more data come in regarding is350's with these. I would also have to go to a much more quiet exhaust such as stock. My borla is already loud enough.
Old 03-28-08, 07:07 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
The OEM Lexus scantool communicates exceptionally fast especially if only a few parameters are selected. It can datalog the engine's data list information for several minutes. I don't think aftermarket can do so. Most OEM manufacturers use multiple communication protocals on the OBD-II port. Lexus uses their own and a lot of systems in the vehicle can be communicated with and in some cases different selections can be made. There isn't any support from the aftermarket currently and I seriously doubt they would ever come close to figuring even one of them out.

I might be able to install these headers in someone who is dying to try them out (Combfilter) and post some of the results before and after. I know I can datalog the MAF meter's input, injector duration and A/F output with speed and rpms and plot a graph. The installation of the headers if it nets a gain would be apparent with increased MAF signal and injector duration. The manifolds simply won't make any gains unless there is more air moving thru the engine.
My OBDII datalogger isn't anything special, but it does a fine job capturing the parameters that matter.
Old 03-28-08, 08:18 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by yummy
sorry no dyno dont have the extra money but i will be going to the dragstrip first sunday of april before with just the k&n intake i was able to run 13.57 so now i have tanabe exhaust and mazzuri headers i will post what times i hit after i go to the track to see if it actually made a difference
What 1/4 mile track are you planning to go to in So Cal??

So far i am free the 1st Sunday of April and i am dying to do some runs with my car with some before and after exhaust mods..

Joe Z
Old 03-28-08, 09:34 AM
yummy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
What 1/4 mile track are you planning to go to in So Cal??

So far i am free the 1st Sunday of April and i am dying to do some runs with my car with some before and after exhaust mods..

Joe Z
i will be going to Sac raceway dragstrip for the CMI event
Old 03-28-08, 09:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by yummy
i will be going to Sac raceway dragstrip for the CMI event
Damn.. 400 miles away....
Old 03-28-08, 03:44 PM
CrazyIS
Rookie

From what I understand Pomona is open on Thursdays. I need to get the details, but I am thinking of going sometime in April, to pull my time.
Old 03-28-08, 04:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Guys - ET means nothing in terms of horsepower. Trap speed is everything. Ignore the times, focus on trap speed. If you run faster, you made more power, if you don't, you didn't. You also need to correct for density altitude if you want to compare runs from different days. You can get accurate weather info for Sac Raceway from here if you click on Mather Field (KMHR) including historical data with hour by hour observations so you can calculate density altitude pretty accurately.
Old 03-29-08, 02:07 PM
GB Packfan
Driver

So we're screwed in Cali, correct? Yet, I'm tempted to get them, even it meant taking them off every two years for smog.
Old 03-29-08, 10:49 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GB Packfan
So we're screwed in Cali, correct? Yet, I'm tempted to get them, even it meant taking them off every two years for smog.
You're screwed in any state that does a visual emissions inspection (which is a lot of em).... You might can find an exhaust shop to make some generic cats fit the mazzuri headers though and that would get you past visual in most states if the inspection place doesn't know what to look for (which is a lot of them who just check for the right number of cats)

In CA however that still won't work as the headers won't have an EO number, so swapping before inspection would be the only choice.

I don't think CA requires inspection for the first 4 years or something on a new car so you'd be ok for a little while anyway.
Old 03-29-08, 11:41 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you buy a new car in CA your first smog check is in 7 years I think. By that time I think I'm ready to move onto something else.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers