Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 10:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

From CA DMV site:

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:

* The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
* A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
This is actually relaxed from previous versions of the smog abatement program. It definitely used to be four years, then 5, now 6. But you still pay a tax for smog abatement regardless of your testing status. Just another reason I left.

Also, the majority of states outside California will allow you to install catalytic converters with the Mazzuri headers and pass their testing as long as the cats are measurably doing what they are intended to do. You will pass a visual because outside of California the visual means presence of the cat, not presence of the OEM system in its original configuration in its entirety.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-30-08 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-30-08, 10:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
When you buy a new car in CA your first smog check is in 7 years I think. By that time I think I'm ready to move onto something else.
Looked it up- Inspection requirement is anywhere from immediately (if the car was ever registered outside CA) to 4 years (intra-CA vehicle sale) to 7 years (brand new vehicle from current model year in CA)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....ck/doineed.htm

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 6 or less model-years old are exempt from the biennial Smog Check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in 2008 calendar year,this exemption includes model-years 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 4 or less model-years old are exempt from the Smog Check inspection requirement upon change of ownership and transfer of title transactions with DMV. In 2008 this exemption includes model-years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Beginning April 1, 2005, vehicles being initially registered in California that were previously registered in another state are exempt if the vehicle is a 1975 and older model-year vehicle. Newer vehicles, the first 6 model years, are not exempted upon initial registration in California. These vehicles are required to undergo a Smog Check Inspection.
Old 03-31-08, 06:55 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're screwed in any state that does a visual emissions inspection (which is a lot of em).... You might can find an exhaust shop to make some generic cats fit the mazzuri headers though and that would get you past visual in most states if the inspection place doesn't know what to look for (which is a lot of them who just check for the right number of cats)

In CA however that still won't work as the headers won't have an EO number, so swapping before inspection would be the only choice.

I don't think CA requires inspection for the first 4 years or something on a new car so you'd be ok for a little while anyway.
long live the south!
Old 03-31-08, 08:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
long live the south!
Not really. North Carolina requires a visual too. No cats, no pass.

Some or all of at least half a dozen other southern states too....
Old 04-04-08, 01:49 AM
newis350
Pole Position

has anyone had their headers coated before installation?
Old 04-04-08, 04:04 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i will coat them when i get them.
Old 04-05-08, 05:27 AM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nabbun
i will coat them when i get them.
What benefits does coating provide?
Old 04-05-08, 09:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coated headers will result in a cooler engine bay, and hotter exhaust. On turbo applications, the hotter exhaust can lead to improved performance. I doubt there would be much of a difference in performance on our cars.
Old 04-05-08, 11:33 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Coated headers will result in a cooler engine bay, and hotter exhaust. On turbo applications, the hotter exhaust can lead to improved performance. I doubt there would be much of a difference in performance on our cars.
I thought you want LESS heat with turbos in order to prevent detonation, which is one reason for intercoolers. Also, isn't cooler air is more dense.
Old 04-05-08, 05:47 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I thought you want LESS heat with turbos in order to prevent detonation, which is one reason for intercoolers. Also, isn't cooler air is more dense.
You want heat in the turbo manifold, not the combustion chamber.
Old 04-06-08, 06:49 AM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
Thanks, so there is no reason to coat Daniel's headers for our IS's.
Old 04-06-08, 09:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Not true at all. More heat means the exhaust will retain its energy further down the tube and aid extraction. I would coat them for sure.
Old 04-06-08, 10:13 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

won't mazzuri offer coated versions for extra cost?
Old 04-07-08, 04:23 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Coating, does it equal to wrapping the headers with heat insulating material?
Old 04-07-08, 09:26 AM
Jetstream
Driver School Candidate

My understanding of coating is this... It provides a heat barrier and provides some rust protection. supposedly it helps smooth the airflow and help with the vacuum effect created by well tuned headers and help prevent buildup on the insides of the tubes, so debatably there is a tiny power gain from doing the coating.

The other bling aspect to coating is it will give them a high luster finish so you won't see the joint welds, metal discoloration, etc... Or you can choose to have them coated whatever color you want. This IMO doesn't matter much for our cars being you'll never see the headers.

Average price I've seen locally is ~$200 to have a set done.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers