Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 09:34 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are made from Stainless Steel, so rust won't be a problem and like Jetstream said, you don't see them on our cars so I wouldn't even bother coating them..... they turn a really nice gold color after a few miles.
Old 04-07-08, 10:17 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like the color they change into naturally but I would want to at least wrap them for the heat purpose.
Old 04-07-08, 10:31 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay away from header wrap. I did it once, and it caused the welds to crack.
Old 04-07-08, 12:18 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

But will coating them make them last longer in our cars? How's the durability compared to stock headers? I've always heard aftermarket headers wear out faster.
Old 04-07-08, 12:30 PM
mikeh555
Pole Position

so any other updates on the 350 ???
Old 04-07-08, 01:54 PM
Jetstream
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ba-b4
But will coating them make them last longer in our cars? How's the durability compared to stock headers? I've always heard aftermarket headers wear out faster.
To split hairs, yes it would help with the longevity, but the headers should outlast the car regardless if you had them coated or not. I'm no expert, but main reasons to coat would be for the heat protection, styling (which i don't care much about with this car), and then there's some debate if coating would help a tiny bit with the performance.

I have no idea how much air flow that area gets to know if heat is a real concern. From what Daniel has said it's real tight working in that area though, so there's not much breathing room. And now knowing they are made of stainless steel gives me less concern over weathering.

Daniel what's your opinion on coating?
Old 04-07-08, 05:59 PM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jetstream
To split hairs, yes it would help with the longevity, but the headers should outlast the car regardless if you had them coated or not. I'm no expert, but main reasons to coat would be for the heat protection, styling (which i don't care much about with this car), and then there's some debate if coating would help a tiny bit with the performance.

I have no idea how much air flow that area gets to know if heat is a real concern. From what Daniel has said it's real tight working in that area though, so there's not much breathing room. And now knowing they are made of stainless steel gives me less concern over weathering.

Daniel what's your opinion on coating?
Not to speak for Daniel but a few posts back he said no need to coat... I just received a quote from JetHiot and it turns out that of the 3 locations in the USA where they do coating, one location is just 30 nminutes from my home, so I will probably have them done - outsides only.
Old 04-07-08, 06:02 PM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Could I ask anyone to post a few DIY pics or instructions for removal of the OEM and install of Daniel's... I have a set coming for my 250 RWD and I am pretty good with tools and my hands and have an impact wrench, but not extensive air wrenches... What has to come off in what sequence and what tools (special or otherwise will I need)?

Thanks in advance...muchas gracias
Old 04-07-08, 06:17 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Many headers wear out because they are mild steel and rust on the outside from moisture and corrode on the inside from exhaust gas and moisture from the heat cycles, that's one of the advantages of getting the inside and outside coated. Mazzuri's are stainless steel so you don't have to worry about rust and corrosion like a mild steel, although it still slightly exists. Coating the outside of s.s. headers would help with the underhood heat, though.
Old 04-07-08, 07:01 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

exactly what kind of coating are we talking about here? just wrapping them up or are we talking coating them in that aluminum suspended in a resin coat that i've seen on a Rides built or two?
Old 04-07-08, 07:50 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

http://http://www.jet-hot.com/techinfo.html
Old 04-07-08, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Jet Hot's explanation of how it works is not based in any science at all, but the coating does actually work to keep velocity up and underhood temps down. It also helps light up your cat faster if you are leaving any cats in the exhaust, so your cold cycle emissions are less.

This is the same reason you want to coat turbo headers - turbos are driven by waste heat. The more you let absorb into the header, the less goes into driving the turbine.
Old 04-08-08, 10:39 AM
Jetstream
Driver School Candidate

So what's the general consensus on coating the headers? I can't see it making a dramatic difference as far as performance, so it really comes down to a question of heat protection in my mind. I have no idea if that's really needed with our cars or not. Sounds like Daniel tested his out and ran with them not being coated. Assuming if there were concerns of ambient heat he would have mentioned that...
Old 04-08-08, 08:11 PM
chickenass
Rookie

hey i am a newbie at doing work to my car, and i am really interested in these headers, will it void my warranty? and will it be damaging my cel etc or car? basically to make things short is it 100% safe for the car? and not damage any parts
Old 04-08-08, 08:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chickenass
hey i am a newbie at doing work to my car, and i am really interested in these headers, will it void my warranty? and will it be damaging my cel etc or car? basically to make things short is it 100% safe for the car? and not damage any parts
(virtually) nothing can "void your warranty" in the sense most folks mean. It's illegal to deny a warranty claim unless they can prove that the problem was -caused- by an aftermarket part.

What this means is that if, for example, you put in an aftermarket HID headlight kit, they could possibly deny warranty coverage if there's a wiring harness problem they could show was related to the aftermarket HIDs... but they can't deny warranty coverage if something went wrong with your rear brake calipers.

With the headers they could probably deny warranty coverage on a decent range of engine problems, but you'd still be covered if, say, your navigation system stopped working.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers