Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 07:12 AM
Toptier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erikbaker
Are there any other 250 owners out there that have dyno'ed their cars?

I am still planning on putting my 350 on a dyno. I have just been way too busy to get around to it. But after seeing Mondays results, I want a second opinion, and soon. Unless anyone thinks I should just wait untill a solution is found. But wheres the fun in that..?
I think that another dyno would be helpful instead of basing everything off mine. The only thing is did you get a base line before the headers were installed? Otherwise we won't know what kind of gains you got.
Old 04-23-08, 04:41 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

No I did not get a base line dyno. But the mods I have are pretty generic. So we would have to base my car off of someone elses dyno, and keep in mind that the alltitude, air density and temperatures will be different. The only real concrete data we will get is the A/F ratio.
Old 04-23-08, 04:46 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I did not get a base line dyno. But the mods I have are pretty generic. So we would have to base my car off of someone elses dyno, and keep in mind that the alltitude, air density and temperatures will be different. The only real concrete data we will get is the A/F ratio.
I wish it were different, but your results would be worthless without a baseline. Unless you dyno over 280 rwhp, we couldn't assume that there were any gains at all. FWIW, my baseline dyno was 276 rwhp on a DynoJet (SAE corrected). For TopTeir to have an SAE corrected value in the 260's on a DynaPack (normally reads higher than DynoJet) is pretty significant.

Last edited by Gernby; 04-23-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 04:48 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least we'll be able to see what an aftermarket exhaust that eliminates the secondary cats will do.
Old 04-23-08, 05:00 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

At least we'll be able to see what an aftermarket exhaust that eliminates the secondary cats will do.
True, you and I are going to swap my stock exhast for your custom exhast, for dyno purposes. I found another shop for that today. Promblem is it will cost $150, I think thats a bit steep. The other shop I have found will only charge us $100, but his dyno is broken and will not be fixed for a few weeks.

If Daniel is cosidering redesigning his headers, my dyno might be helpful in his new calculations... If he is going to redesign them we should wait untill I have the new set.

Daniel, thanks for sending us 350 guys a new set (if you change the design). That is good buisness from your side. If another dyno will help you, just let me know.
Old 04-23-08, 05:45 PM
mazzuri
Driver

True, you and I are going to swap my stock exhast for your custom exhast, for dyno purposes. I found another shop for that today. Promblem is it will cost $150, I think thats a bit steep. The other shop I have found will only charge us $100, but his dyno is broken and will not be fixed for a few weeks.

If Daniel is cosidering redesigning his headers, my dyno might be helpful in his new calculations... If he is going to redesign them we should wait untill I have the new set.

Daniel, thanks for sending us 350 guys a new set (if you change the design). That is good buisness from your side. If another dyno will help you, just let me know.
No problem. Another dyno won't really show much more than what has been shown.

I have an idea on what needs to change, but it will requier a new ypipe all the way to the stock exhaust. The good news is I can make it all on my car, as everything is the same for the 350 and than have someone do a before and after dyno with it that has a 350. So as soon as I have some free time I'll get started on it.
Old 04-23-08, 05:58 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mazzuri

I have an idea on what needs to change, but it will requier a new ypipe all the way to the stock exhaust. The good news is I can make it all on my car, as everything is the same for the 350 and than have someone do a before and after dyno with it that has a 350. So as soon as I have some free time I'll get started on it.
would it be possible to make whatever ur gonna do work with my x pipe?

honestly i dont see how the y pipe design ur thinking of has anything to do with power that should be gained from the headers.. doin anything after the headers.. ur just gaining power from using a different exhaust.. which those of us who have a catback exhaust.. already have that gain..
Old 04-24-08, 03:47 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i'm pretty sure mazzuri knows wth he's talking about so we'll leave him be.

As we all know, the power he's made on the IS 250 with the headers were with the stock exhaust.

I'm pretty sure the different y pipe would lead to better flow or something.
Old 04-24-08, 06:44 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by car_lost
So he would do a dyno before and after swapping out the new exhaust?
Old 04-24-08, 06:48 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
So he would do a dyno before and after swapping out the new exhaust?
That's the plan.
Old 04-24-08, 07:38 AM
anajri
Driver

hey guys
I dont write often but i have an idea that might work. I live in the Domininca republic and we have the distribution rights for toyota and lexus. I have a race car and know some people that have highr HP street cars.
here is the idea. hope this helps in the fuel issues with the 350. I have a friend that has a supra 2jz jspec as you know have smaller injectors than the us spec. anyway before the new injectors came in turned up boost and the car was lean, so what he did to rich it out was that he installed a NOS kit but without the NOS, so it was a single fogger that only sprayed fuel. he went to the dyno and tryed out different nozzles until he got the disired air fuel ratio.. I belive this could work until anybody can get those damn ecu cracked and the only bad that can come from this is that it doesnt work so. This is just me trying to help in the conversation and giving ideas. Hope someone can try this out. With out the car being lean the ecu should adjust the ignition back to normal and hopefully see some real gains up top and not just down in the rev line..

any thoghts..
Old 04-24-08, 08:02 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

anajri,

Wet N2O systems use a simple solenoid that is either on or off. It would provide the same amount of fuel regardless of throttle position or RPM. Basically, it would run extremely rich down low, then slowly lean out as RPMs rise. The ECU would also detect it immediately, and throw a ton of DTCs.

That said, I still feel strongly that fuel was not the problem, and wouldn't invest any effort at all on fuel tuning until I knew what was going on with ignition timing.
Old 04-24-08, 09:26 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
would it be possible to make whatever ur gonna do work with my x pipe?

honestly i dont see how the y pipe design ur thinking of has anything to do with power that should be gained from the headers.. doin anything after the headers.. ur just gaining power from using a different exhaust.. which those of us who have a catback exhaust.. already have that gain..
The ypipe will have to be new, not because I am looking for power in the there, but because I said it from day one, the headers need to end around where the second o2 sensors are, the way they are now is too short and not ideal. So If i make the headers a lot longer, the stock ypipe will not work and will have to be new. I was trying to avoide this, to keep the cost and work load down, but it seems like it needs to be done.
Old 04-24-08, 09:36 AM
Smooth 1
Driver

The ypipe will have to be new, not because I am looking for power in the there, but because I said it from day one, the headers need to end around where the second o2 sensors are, the way they are now is too short and not ideal. So If i make the headers a lot longer, the stock ypipe will not work and will have to be new. I was trying to avoide this, to keep the cost and work load down, but it seems like it needs to be done.
This was what I thought way back when I first saw the headers. Which was why I wanted to see the dyno on the 350. The 3.5 has to flow alot more air than the 2.5. So wouldn't a longer header,(properly tuned to the exhaust valves of course), produce more power and much more ideal torque curve? I know on the Mustangs everyone drops the shorties first thing, and I've seen some nice power gains and great tc curves just from that, and an exhaust system to finish it.
Old 04-24-08, 09:37 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

ooo nice so more power than intiailly expected? or is to achieve those initial projections

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers