Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 05:30 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats taking him so long? I spoke to Shaun, he hasnt seen the dyno either. Have you tried calling the shop?
Old 05-12-08, 06:43 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Ok I got it finally:

It was faxed to me so the quality is not the best, I traced the lines as best I could to see them better. The blue is stock, the red is with my header.

Ok, the hp numbers don't wow me, in fact it looks almost identical to Tops dyno, but there is no denying that those TQ numbers look amazing. There is about 25 more wtq in every RPM and the stock peak comes up much sooner than stock, I'd say by at least 1500 rpm. I have an idea why there isn't much gain on the hp end, I will make some changes to the set I sent to combfilter, I think it will take care of the top end, we'll see.
Old 05-12-08, 08:18 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Thanks for the post and for having this dyno performed. I spoke with Shaun today, he said that at no point during the dyno did they have the hood closed. Remember my dyno (page38, post#565) showed an increase of 6wtq and 6whp by closing the hood and allowing the air intake temps to rise from 89-93 degrees on the first run to 125-131 on the second run. If closing the hood makes that much of a difference (6 hp) , that would mean I loss 1 hp over stock. It would also mean I gained 19wtq.

All that being said 19wtq is great! But -1 hp, whats up with that?
Old 05-12-08, 08:54 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by erikbaker
Thanks for the post and for having this dyno performed. I spoke with Shaun today, he said that at no point during the dyno did they have the hood closed. Remember my dyno (page38, post#565) showed an increase of 6wtq and 6whp by closing the hood and allowing the air intake temps to rise from 89-93 degrees on the first run to 125-131 on the second run. If closing the hood makes that much of a difference (6 hp) , that would mean I loss 1 hp over stock. It would also mean I gained 19wtq.

All that being said 19wtq is great! But -1 hp, whats up with that?
You can pull 3 4 dynos within the same hour and get 4 different results, so I don't know how much you closing the hood really made a difference. Generally it's better to have the air colder than hotter, the 350 is a weird car to dyno, I have read people gaining 10 whp from moving the fan from one area under the hood to another. So you can't really do the math like you are doing, but hopefully combfilters results will be a lot more conclusive.
Old 05-12-08, 09:26 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

You can pull 3 4 dynos within the same hour and get 4 different results, so I don't know how much you closing the hood really made a difference. Generally it's better to have the air colder than hotter, the 350 is a weird car to dyno, I have read people gaining 10 whp from moving the fan from one area under the hood to another. So you can't really do the math like you are doing, but hopefully combfilters results will be a lot more conclusive.
Your absolutly rigth. Dont get me wrong, I am definitly enjoying the headers. I have noticed a slight metallic sounding vibration from the headers though. But I've found out it is the damn nut I droped during the install. It landed in between the flange where the three pipes come together I havent been able to reach it, so there it sits.

Good luck to all of you who do this mod.
I cant wait to see your results too.

Last edited by erikbaker; 05-12-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 06:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a question assuming the dyno chart above is correct. How can a car gain this much consistent torque across the full rpms, yet the hp remains almost unchanged? I know horsepower and torque are related by the equation.

HP = TQ*RPM/5252.
Old 05-13-08, 07:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I have a question assuming the dyno chart above is correct. How can a car gain this much consistent torque across the full rpms, yet the hp remains almost unchanged? I know horsepower and torque are related by the equation.

HP = TQ*RPM/5252.
It can't. This plot is inaccurate. You can't gain torque while loosing HP at the same RPM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:15 AM
mazzuri
Driver

HP = TQ*RPM/5252.
That's a good point, I just realised the stock dyno doesn't even cross at the rigth rpm, the TQ and HP always cross at 5250. The stock 350 crosses at 4800, while the one with the header crosses at the rigth place. Maybe the dyno was already broken while their where dynoing, or it was a scale issue.
Old 05-13-08, 09:17 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzuri
That's a good point, I just realised the stock dyno doesn't even cross at the rigth rpm, the TQ and HP always cross at 5250. The stock 350 crosses at 4800, while the one with the header crosses at the rigth place. Maybe the dyno was already broken while their where dynoing, or it was a scale issue.
I'm going to bet the dyno was 50% broken and then 100% on the next car.
Old 05-13-08, 03:30 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

That's a good point, I just realised the stock dyno doesn't even cross at the rigth rpm, the TQ and HP always cross at 5250. The stock 350 crosses at 4800, while the one with the header crosses at the rigth place. Maybe the dyno was already broken while their where dynoing, or it was a scale issue
Well then Daniel, should we call the shop and ask for another dyno of a stock 350 when he gets it repaired? He probably wont charge for it, if his dyno was broken/breaking during our the last run.
Thanks again for all the time you are putting into the headers.
Old 05-13-08, 03:47 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by erikbaker
Well then Daniel, should we call the shop and ask for another dyno of a stock 350 when he gets it repaired? He probably wont charge for it, if his dyno was broken/breaking during our the last run.
Thanks again for all the time you are putting into the headers.
Well ahead of you . Here is his responce:

"Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I had not looked closely at your graphs, just a quick look when I was on the phone with you but looking now I see there is a problem. & It is defiantly possible, one of the processes of the damaged unit is RPM acquisition which would effect many things. I will be happy to re-dyno a stock car at no further expense once we have the problem/s sorted out or I can refund your payment. Sorry about any inconvenience, please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Todd palmer"

So when his dyno is fixed I will contact Shawn to set up another dyno if possible.

So the story continues
Old 05-13-08, 10:45 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

So when his dyno is fixed I will contact Shawn to set up another dyno if possible.

So the story continues
You know at this point its just good entertainment...

Did Todd happen to mention when the dyno will be fixed?
Old 05-13-08, 10:57 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP = TQ*RPM/5252.
Old 05-16-08, 06:46 AM
08mica
Pole Position

Just ordered!!!

Now let's see if I can wait for them to get here.

I am also considering doing a before and after dyno to see the gains but haven't decided yet. Never hurts to verify numbers but two seperate dyno's adds up. That's an extra $150. On top of the price of the headers, plus installation, and maybe and exhaust. Closing in on $2K quickly.

I'd actually like to do a before and after headers+ exhaust. Too bad the price of the Tanabe just went up $100. Off to see if I can find a reasonable exhaust and a dyno shop around here.
Old 05-16-08, 09:02 AM
DZP
Pit Crew

Where are you planning on getting it installed in OH?

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers