Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 10:17 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
I know it's a long long thread, but just to keep you from having to read the whole thing. I do not have the headers installed. This is just a baseline dyno so we will know gains once the headers are installed. The headers should be down here in a couple of weeks. My access to my friends lift is limited to sundays. This being said, I will do what i can to get them on asap once i get them.

From what I understand the install is not really hard, but not real easy either. I think Daniel/carchitect/lobux and a few others could do it in less than 1-2hrs. I am guessing it will take me and my friend 4-5. Reading here (and talking to carchitect it looks like the drivers side is where it's real tight.

To others:
I talked to carchitect on sunday and time permitting (he is super busy) he might be able to come grab my car this thursday and take it up to Lexus with him. There he will hook up the scan tool and get us more data.

"progress through proxy"

we'll keep the thread updated as progress continues.
No way it's a 1 to 2 hour job, I have done 4 installs I still can't do it under 5 hours.
Old 05-20-08, 06:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the SAE corrected graphs.

Based on the MPH, it looks like they used 5th gear. If so, there were probably another couple ponies left on the table. It's not that big of a deal, but make sure they do the same next time.
Old 05-20-08, 09:00 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Some input..

^^ The preferred gear to use on an IS250 & IS350 is 4th gear..
(Using 3rd or 5th is just not good for accurate testing results)

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Uncorrected on a day with excellent density altitude maybe, but not corrected for weather. Typical is low to mid 260's.
I agree with Lance here on this...

I have independently Dyno tested 3 different IS350's and all put down Base numbers of 264-265 rwhp.. (SAE Corrected and Dyno'd in 4th gear)
This of course was on 3 separate occasions, but using the same DynoJet System, with same operator and pretty much same conditions..

Joe Z
Old 05-20-08, 10:15 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

5th gear was never used for any of the pulls. manual mode was set to 4th and it never went past that. Watch the video and count.

How will the peak hp change regardless of where it's plotted on the graph?
Old 05-20-08, 10:36 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

Damn, CEL, CHECK VSC, hazard indicator, and tracktion controll light is on. My car is misfiring in random cylinders as well. I am sitting at my dealership right now, typing on their computer. On my way up here I averaged 45.5 MPG, thats a good thing right?
Seriously I am very nervious about my car. The good news is that my service rep here has headers on some of his cars. So he understands what they can and most importantly cant do. He doesnt think the headers are whats causing this issue. He also said that if they cant fix it with the headers on I can remove them and all the work will be covered under warrenty.
I will keep everyone updated on this issue.
Old 05-20-08, 10:51 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by erikbaker
Damn, CEL, CHECK VSC, hazard indicator, and tracktion controll light is on. My car is misfiring in random cylinders as well. I am sitting at my dealership right now, typing on their computer. On my way up here I averaged 45.5 MPG, thats a good thing right?
Seriously I am very nervious about my car. The good news is that my service rep here has headers on some of his cars. So he understands what they can and most importantly cant do. He doesnt think the headers are whats causing this issue. He also said that if they cant fix it with the headers on I can remove them and all the work will be covered under warrenty.
I will keep everyone updated on this issue.
Super great gas mileage can be a sign of a vacuum leak. Always check the obvious first i.e. the mods'. Not sure about the original health of your car prior to headers etc... but I would confirm that the sleeves on your JoeZ pipe are tight around the throttle body and air box. Air bypassing the MAF sensor is no good. I would not think that the headers are the problem unless one of the sensors is jack'd up.

You are gonna have to pay if it's related to the mods'. Hopfully you will get luck and it will be something else.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Old 05-20-08, 03:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't dispute the 4th gear thing, but I'm surprised that 4th gear will reach 120 MPH. Anyhow, the reason why HP changes based on gear is because gearing loss increases as you get further above or below a 1:1 ratio, and 4th gear is closest to 1:1. If you use 3rd or 5th gear, the whole power curve would shift down a bit.
Old 05-20-08, 04:00 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Super great gas mileage can be a sign of a vacuum leak. Always check the obvious first i.e. the mods'. Not sure about the original health of your car prior to headers etc... but I would confirm that the sleeves on your JoeZ pipe are tight around the throttle body and air box. Air bypassing the MAF sensor is no good. I would not think that the headers are the problem unless one of the sensors is jack'd up.

You are gonna have to pay if it's related to the mods'. Hopfully you will get luck and it will be something else.
My car is still at the dealer, and yes I checked all the obvious stuff first. After the initial scan the tech wouldnt touch my car. He said the car is not stock so he will not try to fix it, untill it is stock. My service rep who truly believes the headers arnt the promblem is having somone else look at it. This other mechanic is a lot more dilagent and will not blam the issue on after market parts. He too believes the issue isnt caused by the headers. I will keep you all posted as to what is wrong with my car when I find out. Until then I will post the current status of my car in the road side assistance portion of the forums.
FYI if the issue is related to the headers, I have been told all I need to do is replace them with the stock headers and they will fix my car for free, they will consider it a warrenty issue. Thats the best news I've gotten so far about my problem.
Old 05-20-08, 04:11 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

On another note, while I was at the dealer today I saw Shaun (the dealer who dyno'd a stock 350 for us). He let me drive his car. He has the Lexus HKS exhaust and a K&N filter. Wow, my car is/was definitly faster then his. My car does/did throw you back into your seat a lot more. I was doing this comparision by flooring it at 45mph. We all know that when you do this the car drops into 2nd and takes off. My car definitly throws you back into the seat with much more agression, than his will. Gotta love that butt dyno...
Old 05-20-08, 04:35 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On another note, while I was at the dealer today I saw Shaun (the dealer who dyno'd a stock 350 for us). He let me drive his car. He has the Lexus HKS exhaust and a K&N filter. Wow, my car is/was definitly faster then his. My car does/did throw you back into your seat a lot more. I was doing this comparision by flooring it at 45mph. We all know that when you do this the car drops into 2nd and takes off. My car definitly throws you back into the seat with much more agression, than his will. Gotta love that butt dyno...
That's the torque you gained. HP you typically won't feel on a 300+hp car, but 26lbs of torque, I bet you can feel.
Old 05-20-08, 07:41 PM
mazzuri
Driver

I spoke with Todd his dyno is back in action, he said after next week we are more than welcome to come and redyno, so if you can talk to Shaun see if he is able to do another dyno when ever he has time. If he does tell him to set up a good time for him and lets do it one more time.
Old 05-21-08, 02:41 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

are the headers getting sent to combfilter any different than the ones listed on the mazzuri website?? i remember Daniel saying something about changing a few things on the comb's.. also when are they getting sent?
Old 05-21-08, 08:16 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daniel had told me that he has fixed the headers already. I cant wait for these!
Old 05-21-08, 10:09 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

how would we know if they are fixed.. they havent been tested
Old 05-22-08, 07:58 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He stated it over at my.is

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers