Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 09:08 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the sim is properly installed, it in no way can cause a misfire, it's physically impossible. The wires it taps in to have no control over anything in the engine and are there to only monitor and advise the ECU. As I told Erik, a lot of people have this sim now, and no one has this issue.

With that said with the sim off now and the problem going away, is no coincidence. More then likely it has to be something relating to that. The only thing I can think off was the power wire on the sim, it uses the ignition power wire for power and if it was not properly connected may cause a misfire, other than that an o2 sim can not cause a misfire (if properly connected) even if it explodes in a violent fashion.
Old 05-29-08, 07:42 AM
Toptier
Pole Position

So if the new version shows to be better then the old will the people that have the old get an upgrade still?
Old 05-29-08, 08:42 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by Toptier
So if the new version shows to be better then the old will the people that have the old get an upgrade still?
Yes, they will.
Old 05-29-08, 03:33 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

So I just returned from a small trip up the interstate and around town... With my o2 sim reinstalled. My car didnt misfire at all. I will drive with it on untill I get a misfire or we fiqure out which Mazzuri header is better. Then I will install that header, and this time I will solder in the o2 sim. Currently the sim is just spliced in with some twist caps and about 3 rolls of electrical tape. I feel like an idiot for not checking the sim connections first. But all the info I had was telling me that the headers and sim couldnt be the issue. When I uninstalled the sim the connections still felt and looked solid. But FYI solder your sim in if you install the headers your self.

If anything changes I will let you all know.

One more thing, I will be redynoing the car on Wednesday morning. So the results should be posted that night.
Old 05-29-08, 03:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Solder + wiring harness = very bad. If you're really worried about it, get some good quality connectors with crimp on pins. Solder is the worst thing you can do to a wiring harness. It is illegal to solder wiring on an aircraft and there are lots of good reasons why.
Old 05-29-08, 04:51 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

^^ True that.

When I found out about that stuff, I ran it by Richard@autosportwiring and he informed me of the FIA certified crimper and heat shrinkable connectors he sells to repair harnesses. Once I used some of them I was hooked on them. They work a lot better than soldering and increasing the wiring resistance not to mention the soldered wiring will eventually break from the lack of movement and create nightmares in the future. Soldering is best left for circuitboard work only.
Old 05-29-08, 05:29 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

FIA certified crimper and heat shrinkable connectors

Awsome idea. I will get some of these, thanks
Old 05-29-08, 05:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Solder + wiring harness = very bad. If you're really worried about it, get some good quality connectors with crimp on pins. Solder is the worst thing you can do to a wiring harness. It is illegal to solder wiring on an aircraft and there are lots of good reasons why.
I would be interested in reading why soldering would be a bad thing. Although I'm not in the industry anymore, my Bachelor's degree is in Electronics Engineering Technology from Texas A&M University, and I can't think of any reason why soldering the connections wouldn't be good. However, I do agree that with the right equipment, connectors, and pins (very rare), modifying the harness by removing the OEM pins and recrimping new wires and pins would be cleaner.
Old 05-29-08, 05:40 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

I've been following this thread with great interest, (though, I think that without proper ecu tuning the headers won't do a whole lot) when the "sim" seemed to cause the misfire for ericbaker, my first thought was, why use a "sim", why not just use an extension pipe for the o2 sensor, lots of tuners use them for turbo cars, why wouldn't it work here. I realize that it may be a lot of trial and error to find the right length so the computer thinks there is a cat in the exhaust stream...
Just a thought, Mazzuri, have you considered this?
Old 05-29-08, 05:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
I've been following this thread with great interest, (though, I think that without proper ecu tuning the headers won't do a whole lot) when the "sim" seemed to cause the misfire for ericbaker, my first thought was, why use a "sim", why not just use an extension pipe for the o2 sensor, lots of tuners use them for turbo cars, why wouldn't it work here. I realize that it may be a lot of trial and error to find the right length so the computer thinks there is a cat in the exhaust stream...
You don't understand the real issue behind tuning. Factory ECU's always run rich. Adding a "good" bolt-on will make it run leaner, which causes the AFR to be more optimum than before. Basically, with the minor bolt-ons that are currently available for the 2IS, any "good" bolt-on will benefit the platform without tuning. The benefit of tuning actually goes down with each good bolt-on.
Old 05-29-08, 06:04 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
You don't understand the real issue behind tuning. Factory ECU's always run rich. Adding a "good" bolt-on will make it run leaner, which causes the AFR to be more optimum than before. Basically, with the minor bolt-ons that are currently available for the 2IS, any "good" bolt-on will benefit the platform without tuning. The benefit of tuning actually goes down with each good bolt-on.
No, I really do understand, I have had a few N/A cars that I threw a lot of "good" bolt-ons at with nominal results, it wasn't until they got a good ecu tune on a dyno did the car really respond to any of those "good" bolt-ons.
Old 05-29-08, 06:52 PM
mazzuri
Driver

1st time in my life I am reading that soldering the wire harness is a bad idea. I have done it all my life, every one I know has done it all their life, some people who only install motecs and haltecs only solder and do not trust anything else (as do I), never ones had an issue and only read about people who have issues with the quick connect things. I would only solder, I don't feel comfortable using something that may come apart, no matter who or what certified it.

The only mistake people make with soldering harnesses is they don't do it right, and don't unplug the harness before soldering and a lot of times fry the stuff inside.
Old 05-29-08, 06:54 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by Giggity

I tried everything to make the CEL go away without using a sim, but nothing worked.
Old 05-29-08, 07:28 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I would be interested in reading why soldering would be a bad thing. Although I'm not in the industry anymore, my Bachelor's degree is in Electronics Engineering Technology from Texas A&M University,
That explains everything. a F'ing aggie. Surprised you didn't get your car painted maroon.
Old 05-29-08, 07:55 PM
08mica
Pole Position

No pics. but guess what brown did for me today?

Tomorrow, took the day off to go dyno, install, ant wait 500 miles.

BTW I hate Brown. If I could tell the stories of thenumber of times thye screwed my stuff up. I just don't know. I don'tt evenship often.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers