Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08 | 12:29 AM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

This has to be one of the longest threads ever made lol...Cant wait to see the results from the new headers.
Old 06-07-08 | 06:45 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
You need to calm down buddy.
Did you click "Quote" on the wrong post? Lextacy isn't the one that needs to calm down.
Old 06-07-08 | 11:36 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Sorry, some of us (mazzuri, carchitect, myself) have full time jobs, wives, girlfriends, other activities. Carchitect actually called me last night to see if we could put these on in my garage right then, but I had prior engagments and also had to do some sidework early today. That being said, he is way more busy than me, and is the one that will be heading up the install. I also have to schedule lift time with my friend pending carchitect and my other friend schedules.

Trust me, they will be on asap and we will of course get it dyno'd
and logged and post up all the information as we have thus far.

The only update I have is some pics i took last night for everyone.

Looks like UPS played soccer with the box D shipped them in:

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-09-08 at 07:22 PM. Reason: From the 60's, fixing the images.
Old 06-07-08 | 11:42 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by erikbaker
Your right! But you must agree if you had the headers sitting on your floor at home, you would want to install them ASAP; right? I realy want to reinstall them, but its not easy, so I must wait...
agreed, this isn't like just bolting on an exhaust, or something. Very little room to work with, plus it's a 42k dollar car so you kind of want to make sure it done right.
Old 06-07-08 | 05:55 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Combfilter, take your time and do it right. The rest of us can wait, we all know you are going to do the most detailed diagnostic of these headers to date. That kind of work takes time and a coordinated effort. With installs like this you want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Did you buy new crush gaskets yet? You will need some.

Thanks for all the hard work you have done, and are about to do.
Old 06-07-08 | 06:15 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Troy,

Thanks so much for posting the pics, but would you please edit your post to align all the pics vertically so that the thread won't be 3 pages wide?

Last edited by Gernby; 06-07-08 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-07-08 | 06:22 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
Troy,

Thanks so much for posting the pics, but would you please edit your post to align all the pics vertically so that the thread won't be 3 pages wide?
no Greg.

You need to get with the 90's and get a wider monitor.
Old 06-07-08 | 06:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
no Greg.

You need to get with the 90's and get a wider monitor.
Ummm ... I have a 24" widescreen at 1920 X 1200. You just need to get with the 80's, and learn how to post pics in forums.
Old 06-08-08 | 07:43 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Troy has been busy in the weekends and I've been busy in the weekdays. After hours I'm usually working on two major Supra projects. The headers would be cake to install compared to the stuff I have going on. Troy stopped by today afternoon with his boat for me to take a look at. We fixed that and I got back to wrenching on the supra again. I've just taken a break after spending 6 hours out there today. So I haven't had time to get those headers installed yet.

I think if everything works out tuesday, we should have them done that evening.
Old 06-09-08 | 01:51 AM
Wests
Lead Lap

Hmmm, those welds don't look very good.
Old 06-09-08 | 02:11 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wests
Hmmm, those welds don't look very good.

looks like a row of nickles to me...
Old 06-09-08 | 04:09 PM
mazzuri
Driver

I started welding when I started this business, before that I have never done it. So I don't consider my self a professional, but I am better than average and getting better every day.

The welds are not 100% perfect, but are 100% strong.
Old 06-09-08 | 06:26 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

hey if they fit, hold up very strong, and give you this much power im not complaining
Old 06-09-08 | 06:42 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

just hope the are strong...
Old 06-10-08 | 09:29 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

The headers are on. I will have pics and video posted up maybe tomorrow or the next night. Carhitect came by around 7 tonight , and we took about a 30min burrito break. I think the total install time (granted you must know he has already removed the IS manifold a few times) took about 3hrs between 2 people in which he did most of the work. Knowing what he knows and how much time he has under the hood of the 2is, I think it would take the average car dude about 5hrs??

I can say after watching and helping that this can be DIY. Good tools help speed up the process.

BTW, did this all on jack stands Screw lifts . It really wasn't that bad.

The hardest part was the o2 sensor on the driver side (getting it out), and the oil dipstick tube is in the way. The headers actually go in easier than the manifolds coming out. They fit great. The "only" item I have a concern with is where the collectors meet the exhaust. Those flanges don't seem to fit as perfect as I would like. carhchitect picked up some new crush gaskets before he came by (thanks erikbaker for this headsup/tip) for that section. I do not think it's leaking and won't be able to tell for a few days.

The o2 sim is not hooked up yet, but we did start up the car and take it for a spin (after disconnecting the negative on the battery). Not sure how long i can drive it till it throws up a cel, so we just went about 5 miles. Does the car feel faster, I don't know and won't know. You can't feel much on a 300hp car to begin with (which always made me laugh on the intake threads on how much people say they feel). I am guessing there is more torque, but again just drove it real short. I really wont know jack till we get the o2 sim on this weekend and then drive it around for a while.

Loudness:......emmmmm all I can say is that the xpipe borla design was raspy to begin with, now it's crazy raspy. I've never been a fan of that, and just increased that raspyness by 2. It doesn't drone any more than the stock manifold did with the borla, so whatever on that. Drone is the same raspyness from borla/xpipe increased.

So yeah as carchitec says, i went from the most ULEV car to an UHEV

I'll post up some pics tomorrow night or thursday night along with some video clips.

sorry for grammar / typo's in this, i am typing this fast so I can go to bed. I have a busy week ahead.

so that leaves o2 sensor to do, drive for a few days, then dyno sometime next week, then get with carhitect and do some more logging with the scan tool, then overlay that scan over the stock scan, then call it a wrap.

Ericbaker thanks again for the heads up.

BTW daniel's headers fit really good. I think he did a pretty good job.

stock manifolds weigh 20lbs, daniels headers weigh 15lbs.

gnite. oh and big thanks to carchitect who really has done a lot of work on this.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers