Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 09:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Cant wait for the results!! I'm anxious for the dyno run!!
Old 06-10-08, 09:36 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks once again for the review. Looking forward to hearing more as you drive the car more and dyno it.
Old 06-11-08, 06:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update Troy! I'm really glad to hear that jack stands aren't a problem for the install.

And thanks to DaveGS4 for fixing the pictures above!
Old 06-11-08, 07:56 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
The "only" item I have a concern with is where the collectors meet the exhaust. Those flanges don't seem to fit as perfect as I would like.
Combfilter,

Can you take some pictures of this section for us so we can see the fitment in this section you're talking about?
Old 06-11-08, 08:30 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im confused on what a "crush gasket" is....
Old 06-11-08, 08:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Im confused on what a "crush gasket" is....
I'm guessing the flanges on the headers are not CNC'd.

Which means he may be talking about these gaskets seen below:

photo credit to "SoDiezl350"

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-11-08 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-08, 09:36 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I was able to do a small sound clip. Everyone remember, that I have the loudest exhaust out there for the 2is. It was semi raspy before , but now it officially sounds like a rice burner. What do I expect by not having any cats? Pretty much this, so don't rush to judge that if you got these headers that your car would sound the same. I'll deal with the raspyness down the road.

standing rev's mazzuri ver 2.0 header with borla offroad.
Old 06-11-08, 09:42 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I like the sound! Im probably the only one that likes raspy LOL
Old 06-11-08, 10:59 AM
newis350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by combfilter
The headers are on. I will have pics and video posted up maybe tomorrow or the next night. Carhitect came by around 7 tonight , and we took about a 30min burrito break. I think the total install time (granted you must know he has already removed the IS manifold a few times) took about 3hrs between 2 people in which he did most of the work. Knowing what he knows and how much time he has under the hood of the 2is, I think it would take the average car dude about 5hrs??

I can say after watching and helping that this can be DIY. Good tools help speed up the process.

BTW, did this all on jack stands Screw lifts . It really wasn't that bad.

The hardest part was the o2 sensor on the driver side (getting it out), and the oil dipstick tube is in the way. The headers actually go in easier than the manifolds coming out. They fit great. The "only" item I have a concern with is where the collectors meet the exhaust. Those flanges don't seem to fit as perfect as I would like. carhchitect picked up some new crush gaskets before he came by (thanks erikbaker for this headsup/tip) for that section. I do not think it's leaking and won't be able to tell for a few days.

The o2 sim is not hooked up yet, but we did start up the car and take it for a spin (after disconnecting the negative on the battery). Not sure how long i can drive it till it throws up a cel, so we just went about 5 miles. Does the car feel faster, I don't know and won't know. You can't feel much on a 300hp car to begin with (which always made me laugh on the intake threads on how much people say they feel). I am guessing there is more torque, but again just drove it real short. I really wont know jack till we get the o2 sim on this weekend and then drive it around for a while.

Loudness:......emmmmm all I can say is that the xpipe borla design was raspy to begin with, now it's crazy raspy. I've never been a fan of that, and just increased that raspyness by 2. It doesn't drone any more than the stock manifold did with the borla, so whatever on that. Drone is the same raspyness from borla/xpipe increased.

So yeah as carchitec says, i went from the most ULEV car to an UHEV

I'll post up some pics tomorrow night or thursday night along with some video clips.

sorry for grammar / typo's in this, i am typing this fast so I can go to bed. I have a busy week ahead.

so that leaves o2 sensor to do, drive for a few days, then dyno sometime next week, then get with carhitect and do some more logging with the scan tool, then overlay that scan over the stock scan, then call it a wrap.

Ericbaker thanks again for the heads up.

BTW daniel's headers fit really good. I think he did a pretty good job.

stock manifolds weigh 20lbs, daniels headers weigh 15lbs.

gnite. oh and big thanks to carchitect who really has done a lot of work on this.
combfilter. thanks for the writeup and all the work by you and carhitect.
Old 06-11-08, 11:41 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

It was semi raspy before , but now it officially sounds like a rice burner.
It almost sounds the same as mine when you rev the engine, or when you are in WOT. But if you have stock exhaust after the headers it pretty much sounds the same when you are driving normaly.
Old 06-11-08, 01:55 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

my exhaust is just like yours comb.. but i plan to add some race cats and weld on the stock mufflers.. maybe losing a few hp, but hopefully keeping a nice tone.. im strongly against burning rice
Old 06-11-08, 02:05 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Troy,

Have you considered having your OEM cats installed into the Borla exhaust?
Old 06-11-08, 02:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Man... you guys love hacking that oem system...
Old 06-11-08, 02:39 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nah, I don't really care about anything right now. I have had 3 pm's today regarding people wanting to come by and hear, drive in it. I / we are not even done with everything yet. I am going to roll with my setup for a bit till I decide what I want to change/remove/add. It's going to be months. I like my borla's power, and I will come across that hurdle once I have everything sorted. I have one friend who is willing to give me his tanabe, I still have my magnaflow setup, friends with shops so I have lots of resources. I get magnaflow stuff really cheap, so if it looks like I need to stick some cats in, I will.

Lets get the main part out of the way first and tweek my personal sound taste later. Heck I might end up liking that sound. Furthermore, i believe this is the only 350 with no cats right now, so I expected it to be even louder. I don't drive the car hardly at all. Maybe just on saturdays. My corolla is my main raw dawg.

I talked to joe again today and we are both surprised at how well daniels headers fit up in there.

up next o2 sim, then drive.
Old 06-11-08, 03:26 PM
nick01
Pole Position

Hey comb are you going to the DFW meet? Its on June 22nd I'd love to hear it

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers