Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 11:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mazzuri
I can cut the flanges on my CNC plasma table the same minute I need them, and avoid the headaches that come with waiting on machine shops to deliver the parts. So why go thought the trouble of having a machine shop machine the extra space in the flange to fix something that isn't broken.
As you were Daniel... You really never take my friendly advice anyways....

Joe Z
Old 06-13-08, 12:46 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
As you were Daniel... You really never take my friendly advice anyways....

Joe Z
If something works, why make it 30 times harder, by adding cost, time, and the possibility of the machinist saying sorry it will be another 2 weeks. I like to have everything under my control, that is why I have my own mandrel bender and a way to cut flanges.

You of all people should know what it's like to have customers kicking your door down for their prodcuts and the people who make all your stuff say it will be another 2 weeks. I don't like that and try to avoid that as much as I can by doing all of it in-house.
Old 06-13-08, 12:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^I couldn't agree with you anymore. Having 100% control over what you are selling is great. Out sourcing and relying on someone to pull through is a bunch of bs. Been down that road in business before and you just can not rely on anyone but yourself!
Old 06-13-08, 12:53 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^^I couldn't agree with you anymore. Having 100% control over what you are selling is great. Out sourcing and relying on someone to pull through is a bunch of bs. Been down that road in business before and you just can not rely on anyone but yourself!
I agree 100% and with world trade and shipping, it is sad that outsourcing still makes it cheaper to produce items overseas despite shipping and intermodal costs (especially with fuel prices). Even if outsourcing is still done domestically, lead time is always increased the vast majority of the time.
Old 06-13-08, 01:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzuri
If something works, why make it 30 times harder, by adding cost, time, and the possibility of the machinist saying sorry it will be another 2 weeks. I like to have everything under my control, that is why I have my own mandrel bender and a way to cut flanges.

You of all people should know what it's like to have customers kicking your door down for their prodcuts and the people who make all your stuff say it will be another 2 weeks. I don't like that and try to avoid that as much as I can by doing all of it in-house.
^^ No problem Daniel.. Your right... I see what your saying..

and

YES.. I have a general idea of what you and I have experienced regarding parts suppliers..

Joe Z
Old 06-13-08, 04:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

All:

If you don't want to be the one responsible for having this thread closed, please help keep this thread on topic and focused on meaningful questions and replies about these headers.

Random thread bumps, sales discussions, arguments and off-topic replies will be removed and members that continually create strife in this thread will have their access removed to the 2IS performance sub-forum.
Old 06-13-08, 06:30 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

So before I reinstall my headers or the new design... My car needs to have the cam gears replaced. My car started making the dreaded "noise" a little over a week ago. I wounder if it has anything to do with the previous issue I had. One more thing is that last night. I put car back to 100% stock, which means I put all the plastics back on the car. I also removed the sim that I had reinstalled. Remember I removed it after my first problem with the misfires. I then drove it a bit to pick up dinner. Its been raining a lot in SW florida. Last night was no exception. So while I was driving I was messing around a bit. This is the first rainy season I've seen in my new IS350. Well I threw another CEL, CHECK VSC, and Traction controll light.

Have any of you experinced an issue like this? Or do you think this is related to my cam gear issue? I was pushing the VSC to the limit. I would floor it at 60mph. The car would break loose then VDIM would step in. I know I shouldnt F with my car as hard as I do somtimes, but come on its a 350.
Old 06-13-08, 06:47 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Combfilter, when are you going to install your o2 sim? I know Daniel says the car will definitly through a CEL soon, but I was thinking that maybe the 350's tolerance could be higher when it comes to emissions. It will be interesting to see how far your car will make it with out the sim.
Old 06-13-08, 09:29 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by erikbaker
Combfilter, when are you going to install your o2 sim? I know Daniel says the car will definitly through a CEL soon, but I was thinking that maybe the 350's tolerance could be higher when it comes to emissions. It will be interesting to see how far your car will make it with out the sim.

my car threw it's cel/vsc warning tonight. So basically i made it about 20 total miles or 6 miles a day since the install of the header . I am not worried about, but i guess it is annoying to look at. I can clear it up by pulling the battery, but then the car will have to re-learn everything. In talking with carchitect tonight, I think I should be a go for dyno'ing this next week regardless if we get the o2 sim on or not. My ecu should still operate the same. I guess if I wanted to I can run down to autozone and get them to clear the cel for me. the main thing is not to disconnect the battery again, until dyno. I don't want to change any of the mappings the car has learned.

It doesn't look like the o2 sim will be on till next week looking at carchitects weekend schedule.

I'll talk to him again and get a 2nd confirmation that even with the check vsc light on, if the car is good to dyno. if so, i'll schedule a dyno this coming week.

sorry you are having so many problems with your car.

You should be good at removing/adding the headers by now. You could start charging for installs there in FL
Old 06-13-08, 09:57 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

You should be good at removing/adding the headers by now.
True, I have gotten pretty good at the removal/install/removal/install/removal. But I'm certainly not happy to do it so much to the same car...

I think I should be a go for dyno'ing this next week regardless if we get the o2 sim on or not. My ecu should still operate the same.
The sim isnt too hard to install, the only issue I've had to deal with is that there isnt much wire to work with. If it would help you, I can give you advice on the install. Your right the sim shouldnt matter too much for the dyno. But considering the whole "drive the car 500+ miles first" thing. It maybe a good idea to install the sim so that your ECU isnt fighting you. I realy have absolutly no idea if the sim would make a difference or not. So if carchitect thinks you dont need it, then you dont need it.

I was happy to hear you chirpped second gear, that frigen sweet!

Keep us posted, good luck...
Old 06-13-08, 10:22 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

yea im anxious to see actual numbers.. bc my car will sometimes chirp when it shifts to second also..
Old 06-13-08, 10:42 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats alot of torque gains... too bad I would never get it to pass smog here in California, let alone it being probably illegal...
Old 06-14-08, 06:54 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it would have the same effect on the 2IS, but I know for sure that Hondas run richer when there is a DTC for secondary O2 sensor, which would certainly impact dyno results. It would also take more miles / driving cycles after the sim was installed for the timing and fuel trims to resettle.
Old 06-14-08, 12:03 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
wow thats alot of torque gains... too bad I would never get it to pass smog here in California, let alone it being probably illegal...
It's illegal in all 50 states since it removes the primary cats.

In most states you could find an exhaust shop willing to rig something up with 3rd party aftermarket parts so it at least _looks_ like you still have 4 cats on the vehicle and that'll skate past most visuals.

In CA you're completely hosed because the headers don't have an EO number... but new cars don't need inspection for several years so you'd be good till then at least unless you get the car looked at by a cop/inspector for some other reason (ie impounded for street racing or whatnot)
Old 06-14-08, 12:42 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by combfilter
my car threw it's cel/vsc warning tonight. So basically i made it about 20 total miles or 6 miles a day since the install of the header . I am not worried about, but i guess it is annoying to look at. I can clear it up by pulling the battery, but then the car will have to re-learn everything. In talking with carchitect tonight, I think I should be a go for dyno'ing this next week regardless if we get the o2 sim on or not. My ecu should still operate the same. I guess if I wanted to I can run down to autozone and get them to clear the cel for me. the main thing is not to disconnect the battery again, until dyno. I don't want to change any of the mappings the car has learned.

It doesn't look like the o2 sim will be on till next week looking at carchitects weekend schedule.

I'll talk to him again and get a 2nd confirmation that even with the check vsc light on, if the car is good to dyno. if so, i'll schedule a dyno this coming week.

sorry you are having so many problems with your car.

You should be good at removing/adding the headers by now. You could start charging for installs there in FL
It's really not hard at all. It would take you less than 10 minutes. You can even twist and tape the wires really good, for now. I did that a few times while testing the sim.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers