Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 08:49 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!, I hope this would help solve my issues as well. After I put my car back to stock everything was fine. So I decided to put the sim back in to see if the problem would return. My car ran just fine with the sim in. I had to take it out the other day so I could bring it to lexus to have my cam gears replaced. The same night I removed the sim I threw another CEL, Check VSC, the difference this time as compaired to before is that my car didnt go into safe mode this time. I got my car just before the 08's came out, this saved me 5g. I'm sure my 350 is one of the last 07's produced.
Old 06-18-08, 09:06 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i am most curious to see if toptier has any issues. He has an 07 and i am not sure how his is working. All 06's seem to be fine

erik your vsc/check engine you have one when the sim isn't there is going to be a code for the cats being gone. You can reset this code and it will come back at (x) amount of miles.

the vsc/check that comes up with the sim on is an ecm/pcm code. and it comes up immediate. You can clear it out and it comes right back. Your code for the cats missing will go away because the sim does achieve this; however, it seems on the 07 and above is350 (which do have a different part number for the ecu than the 06's) seem to be more picky about the sim signal coming on too early. This throws an error p0606 which is not the same as the 606 error on the is250's. On the 350's it has to do with the ecm's / not mirroring each other. carhitect can explain this in nerd talk for lobux and them.

Basically, I am real curious to see if you are throwing a 606 on your car.

Neither error I have will put my car into limp mode and has not to this date. which is why i think you have somethign else wrong with your car.

I should still be able to dyno just fine with all my cel's on. Car feels pretty good right. Perhaps this weekend sometime. I need to drive the car some.
Old 06-18-08, 09:07 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

WOW!, I hope this will solve my issues as well. After I put my car back to stock and it ran fine. I decided to reinstall just the sim. The car run just fine with the sim in place. Last week I had to remove the sim, so I could have my cam gears replaced. The same night I did this I threw another CEL, CHECK VSC. The difference between this time and the first time is that my car never went into same mode (same mode really sucks) this time. I bought my car just before the 08's came out, this saved me about 5G. So I am sure my car is one of the newest 07's. For what it's worth I ran my car with the headers and sim for over a month before I threw the CEL, and all these problems started.
Old 06-18-08, 09:08 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

Sorry for the repeat post. My computer at work is old. They dont give us Chefs the new computers. We get the hand me downs...
Old 06-18-08, 09:12 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

erik your vsc/check engine you have one when the sim isn't there is going to be a code for the cats being gone.
I never ran the car with headers on and the sim out. So I've never throw a code for that.
Old 06-18-08, 10:08 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding about the different ECU for '07 and up was all about the ability to disable TRAC and VSC without doing the pedal dance. I would be really surprised if they made any changes to the emissions monitoring logic after just a single year. If there was a problem with emissions monitoring for '06, then I would have expected a recall.
Old 06-18-08, 10:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just found a thread that talks about the sim I used successfully on my S2000. Many people (myself included) tried using a 3 wire sim, and they sometimes worked, but the 5 wire sim was much better. It simulates the true behavior of a working O2 while driving by monitoring RPM and throttle position to create a more realistic output.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210266
Old 06-18-08, 10:26 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It looks like you can buy them here, but you would need 2 of them.
Old 06-18-08, 10:49 AM
Toptier
Pole Position

I just replied to Combfilters PM. But for everyone else, I have over a 1000 miles on the headers and sim and have not had any problems. No check engine lights, or any of the problems that erikbaker is experiencing. I have an 07 manufactured in 04/07

Thats weird that I am the only one not having any issues
Old 06-18-08, 10:57 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by erikbaker
WOW!, I hope this will solve my issues as well. After I put my car back to stock and it ran fine. I decided to reinstall just the sim. The car run just fine with the sim in place. Last week I had to remove the sim, so I could have my cam gears replaced. The same night I did this I threw another CEL, CHECK VSC. The difference between this time and the first time is that my car never went into same mode (same mode really sucks) this time. I bought my car just before the 08's came out, this saved me about 5G. So I am sure my car is one of the newest 07's. For what it's worth I ran my car with the headers and sim for over a month before I threw the CEL, and all these problems started.

Hmm I am going to test a sim my self on an O8 IS350 with a sim I know is good. After reading that Eriks car is a late 07 and he had no problem, I think it was a bad sim. Also, since a few 08 IS250s have the sim (including my car) and no one has had this issue, I just don't think Toyota would change the emissions part of how the car works for both models, even the ECU for the most part is the same, no?
Old 06-18-08, 11:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Troy, yours is a very early '07, right? Didn't you actually get it in '06?
Old 06-18-08, 01:04 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Ok, my Lexus service rep. just left me a message. My cam gears will be covered under warrenty even though my cars VIN# dosnt qualify JFYI. He couldnt remember the exact code my car threw, but he said it was another random misfire. He said it was P09...something. Again my car threw the CEL right after it was returned to 100% stock. This was about 4 miles after I removed the sim, I had the stock headers on as well.
Old 06-18-08, 01:21 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mazzuri
From what I understood, and Troy can correct me if I am wrong, but the sim it self worked 100%, but it was as if the ECU was looking for the stock o2 sensors and knew something else was there.
...they're learning
Old 06-18-08, 08:16 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
My understanding about the different ECU for '07 and up was all about the ability to disable TRAC and VSC without doing the pedal dance. I would be really surprised if they made any changes to the emissions monitoring logic after just a single year. If there was a problem with emissions monitoring for '06, then I would have expected a recall.
A manufacturer may change the monitor criteria as long as it complies with the test protocal requirements.

The Lexus/Toyota Hybrids use a completely different monitoring criteria compared to non-hybrid vehicles for the evaporative emissions systems. They both exceed the CARB requirements but they monitor them differently.

Changing the test criteria for the monitors is not a problem as long the final result can be achieved. And they certainly will not recall/campaign certain models to have their ecu's replaced. Some manufacturers have done their monitors using lesser input/outputs from their ecus and came up with better results by simply changing the sensor logic of the ecu. As a matter of fact, Honda is one of them. They monitor their EGR system operation with the MAP sensor.
Old 06-18-08, 09:08 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

The code we recieved after the sims were installed on Troy's car was a p0606 ecm/pcm processor malfunction. It is a hard code and coes on instantly. The code comes on when it sees either both A/F sensors disconnected or both HO2 sensors disconnected. The HO2 sensors are the secondary sensors. They monitor the convertor's performance. Thats their only function. They will not change the behaviour of the ecu or how it controls the engine. They can be divided in two circuits. The heater circuit and the sensor circuit. The heater circuit is powered by the circuit open relay. The ecm provides a controlled ground to control the current required to warmup and maintain heat on the HO2 sensor's heating element. The sensor circuit have a sensor signal and sensor ground both of which are provided by the ecm. Since Troy's IS350 have this code come on during startup, there is a possibility that the code is from the ecm performing a sensor circuit inspection by measuring the continuity, resistance, or current accross these two leads. If the sensors were disconnected (as in the case of the sims being wired in) there won't be any continuity from the signals leads to the ground leads.

I did notice that even with the check engine light on, and the sims installed, the datalist was showing the normal waveform of the secondary sensors. So the ecm should've been happy with the result.

The vehicle drives normal and this is the only minor setback we are currently experiencing. I'm planning on using smoe non-foulers (as someone had suggested above) The sensors with the non-foulers installed would create clearance issues. I plan on making a 90 deg bend with a pipe and weld it to the middle on the non-fouler.

I made an image of what I'm trying to say down below.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers