Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 09:20 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A manufacturer may change the monitor criteria as long as it complies with the test protocal requirements.

The Lexus/Toyota Hybrids use a completely different monitoring criteria compared to non-hybrid vehicles for the evaporative emissions systems. They both exceed the CARB requirements but they monitor them differently.

Changing the test criteria for the monitors is not a problem as long the final result can be achieved. And they certainly will not recall/campaign certain models to have their ecu's replaced. Some manufacturers have done their monitors using lesser input/outputs from their ecus and came up with better results by simply changing the sensor logic of the ecu. As a matter of fact, Honda is one of them. They monitor their EGR system operation with the MAP sensor.
You obviously know what you are talking about. So how can we take your knowledge and apply it to our situation? You state that Lexus may have changed their ECU between the 07's and 08's. (Why would they change the 350's and not the 250's?) If they did how can we correct for that? Combfilters car isnt doing too well with the o2 sim, and I'm obviously up shiits creek with out a paddle (FYI, My problems are not all related to the headers). Do you think we need a more high tech o2 sim like the one Gernby showed us?
I really want these issues resolved! I also want Daniel's headers to be succesful. But Combfilter is having problems and so am I, something must be causing it. I know that the other 350's with the headers are just fine. So this isnt a wide spread problem.

Carchitect, I take it you work with Lexus, my service rep is very interested in helping us solve these issues. Please PM if you would like to speak with him dirrectly. The tech who is working on my car is also very skilled and interested in the headers. Together you may find a solution. Or maybe not, I'm just trying to help...
Old 06-18-08, 09:24 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

I made an image of what I'm trying to say down below.
Nice work. Thanks for all that your doing.
Old 06-18-08, 09:50 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by erikbaker
I really want these issues resolved! I also want Daniel's headers to be succesful.
There is no doubt in my mind that his headers are successful. My car is chirping 2nd gears with a DA of +2600. I am going to drive it to work tomorrow cel's and all. This will give me 50 miles RT plus maybe another 10 tomorrow night. This is more than enough time to let the ecu learn it's changes. I will then try to dyno on friday in the 100 degree tx heat. If need be, I'll do another dyno again in 2weeks just to have another one for measure

Now, the o2 sim obviously is a different hurdle.

We have daniel trying to get an 08 or even 07 is350 in his part of the world. We need to see how that goes. If all goes well, he will send me that one and we will give it a shot.

We have carhictect's mind spinning it's gears thinking about alternate solutions.

We also have some pretty good resources on this forum. lobux, daniel, other car nerds, etc..

We'll figure it out.

oh yeah side question which is off topic but kind of on topic (since it has to do with the baseline dyno):
one thing i don't understand about my baseline dyno is that the DA that day was around +2400. Why would after I SAE correct it would it lower the hp by 5 on all 3 runs. If anything, i would think it would almost add hp to correct for the 100 degree heat and relative humidity?

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...rrent=sae2.jpg
Old 06-18-08, 09:54 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

hahaha maybe the o2 sims don't like smg 07 is350's only Toptier's is white

it's got to be the color guys!!!
Old 06-19-08, 07:04 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you verified that the AFR and timing curves are similar even with the CEL?
Old 06-19-08, 07:06 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
oh yeah side question which is off topic but kind of on topic (since it has to do with the baseline dyno):
one thing i don't understand about my baseline dyno is that the DA that day was around +2400. Why would after I SAE correct it would it lower the hp by 5 on all 3 runs. If anything, i would think it would almost add hp to correct for the 100 degree heat and relative humidity?

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...rrent=sae2.jpg
It looks to me like the SAE correction is 1.03, right? If so, then it is actually increasing your numbers by 3%.
Old 06-19-08, 08:19 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
It looks to me like the SAE correction is 1.03, right? If so, then it is actually increasing your numbers by 3%.
negative.
uncorrected numbers are as follows:

Corrected numbers are as follows (1.03 correction):

uncorrected link:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/basedyno.jpg

corrected link:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/car/sae1.jpg
Old 06-19-08, 08:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The paper copy that you have is not Uncorrected, it is STD. If you view your runs using the "Uncorrected" option in WinPep, your peak rwhp would be around 270. Smoothing also changes the peak numbers a bit. It isn't obvious if the paper graphs were using any smoothing.
Old 06-19-08, 04:29 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Just curious, how much time in the 1/4 mile do you guys expect to gain with the headers and the amount of power we're seeing it makes on the dyno?
Old 06-19-08, 04:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teejnut
Just curious, how much time in the 1/4 mile do you guys expect to gain with the headers and the amount of power we're seeing it makes on the dyno?
I wouldn't know where to start with that wild guess. The big bump in mid-range torque is the biggest benefit, and that would primarily help in 1st gear, and partly in 2nd gear on a 1/4 mile run. It mght even make the launch more difficult with limitted traction. If I were to take a very uneducated stab at a guess, I would go with .3 seconds.
Old 06-20-08, 05:11 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Good work guys. This is exciting!

Here's a question. If there is some much gain to be had at the manifold. How come Toyco didn't do it in the first place? Their performance goal was already reached?

Last edited by phatboyc; 06-20-08 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 05:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Good work guys. This is exciting!

Here's a question. If there is some much gain to be had at the manifold. How come Toyco didn't do it in the first place? Their performance goal was already reached?
The mazzuri headers aren't street legal in any state in the US.

That'd be a problem for Toyota.
Old 06-20-08, 06:11 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

So there is no way Toyco could make some same size and form but street legal?
Old 06-20-08, 06:22 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

they could but why would they?

we're talking about a car they heavily invested money into.

It's a For Profit company and they aim to make the best returns possible while delivering a product that suits the general public.

So, of course they're going to cut corners when and wherever they can and the headers they put on our cars are easy to make, cheap, meet the power they aimed to make and meet sound and emissions tests.

So you tell me why a mass manufacturer such as toyota would put race headers on a Luxury sports sedan. (emphasis on LUXURY)

Edit - Oh don't get me wrong, I wish they did come with race headers, straight through exhaust with minimal bends and restrictions, sport tuned suspension by the likes of bilstien, light racing rims, more aggressive body styling in carbon fiber, etc etc . . . . . . . Get my drift?

Edit again - that's what the aftermarket is for. You don't like they way they built it? Fix it.

Last edited by nabbun; 06-20-08 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 09:48 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Gotcha. Perhaps they'll subcontract it to mazzuri for their F-Sport accessories.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers