Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mazzuri super headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 02:57 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would it void warranty? Next time you go to the dealer have the foreman make you a print out of the snapshot. It just sounds logical to try and get them to print out a snapshot of the misfire, I dont see why they wouldn't be able to provide it for the customer if its requested.

Last edited by 07IS350; 07-09-08 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 03:54 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The mods are causing misfires. There wouldn't be misfires if it was stock. Just cause to void warranty. I don't get misfire code tho with my mods. I haven't had to use him for the 2IS yet, I abused him during my IS300T build.
Old 07-09-08, 04:08 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
The mods are causing misfires. There wouldn't be misfires if it was stock. Just cause to void warranty. I don't get misfire code tho with my mods. I haven't had to use him for the 2IS yet, I abused him during my IS300T build.
It would help a lot if you actually read more than the last 3 pages of this thread.
Old 07-09-08, 04:40 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Well of course the warranty would probably be voided if you have mods, thats why you take them off before you take your car to the dealer J/K.

Last edited by 07IS350; 07-09-08 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 05:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzuri
It would help a lot if you actually read more than the last 3 pages of this thread.
Originally Posted by 07IS350
Well of course the warranty would probably be voided if you have mods, thats why you take them off before you take your car to the dealer
It would help alot to terminate any discussion about defrauding a dealer by blowing up your car with mods on it, returning it to stock, and expecting the dealer to fix it under warranty. Any further posts suggesting it is OK to do this will be deleted.

It is illegal to defraud a dealer the same way it is illegal for a dealer to defraud you. Submitting a warranty claim to repair something that failed related to a modification you've done is fraud.

mazzuri - while I understand your point, the fundamental problem is the car works fine without the headers installed. That's the configuration Lexus warranties, not the configuration with headers. If the fault only occurs when the headers are installed, Lexus has no obligation to determine what is wrong or why and they can most assuredly deny any warranty claim because the car is not in the standard configuration when the issue occurs. If the MIL lights and a DTC is set with the stock configuration, they owe him a fix. If not, then there is no fix Lexus needs to pay to resolve.

I have no issues with mods, I've done many myself, but I have big issues with doing mods and expecting Lexus (or any other manufacturer) to support your racing/modding program without formally entering an agreement stating they are your sponsors.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-09-08 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 06:53 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a deep breath, I didn't say your mod. BTW I'm around alot more than you think. Comments like this is why I choose to not post. I'll leave your thread now. Good Luck

Last edited by HKS350; 07-09-08 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 07:08 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Lobuxracer: Your absolutly right. I, in no way condone fraud it was just a lil humor. Erikbaker is having these issues with the header install and still has them after he removes them, saying that I dont think It would be dishonest to submit a warranty claim.

Now, would the cel have came on had he not installed the headers and drivin the car a few more miles? Maybe. Did he damage an 02 or any other sensor during the install? Possible. Are the headers causing the cel issue? Once again possible. The point is we dont know if its the headers or not, therefore it would be a legit claim. That is all up the the lexus tech to figure out but, if the tech comes to the conclusion that the headers caused the cel or a component was damaged during install, then the customer better be ready to pay out of pocket.

Last edited by 07IS350; 07-09-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 07:58 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
mazzuri - while I understand your point, the fundamental problem is the car works fine without the headers installed. That's the configuration Lexus warranties, not the configuration with headers. If the fault only occurs when the headers are installed, Lexus has no obligation to determine what is wrong or why and they can most assuredly deny any warranty claim because the car is not in the standard configuration when the issue occurs. If the MIL lights and a DTC is set with the stock configuration, they owe him a fix. If not, then there is no fix Lexus needs to pay to resolve.
I am not trying to disagree with that you are saying, I told Jeremy to read a few more pages back, because he was explaining how Ericks car would not be covered under warranty and not getting the full picture. If he went a few pages back, he would read a little more about the details of how this problems came up the 1st time and what the dealer said/did about it.

It's just annoying to repeat my self and have people post incorrect info, when they are too lazy to read. That is all.

My header is on over 20 cars, most are 250s, 6 are 350s, no one has any issues with the sim or misfires. The misfires are not because of the header and the dealer already confirmed this.
Old 07-09-08, 08:02 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by erikbaker
That exactly what I'm doing. Its at the dealer right now. I hope they find the issue this time.

When I limped back to my house yesterday, I reset the ECU again and had the sim out. I drove it on the interstate for a few miles and the misfires came back. So the sim definitly wasnt causing the misfires.

My car ran great the first month or so with the headers (the first time) then one day, boom misfire. This time around it made it a day and a few miles. So I dont think the headers are causing the problem. I just think they are helping exposing a fault in my car that only shows up when the restrictions are taken away from the engine.

When I drove it to the dealership today the car ran perfectly again.

Doing all that work last night sucked! I had to go to Walmart at 2 in the morning to get a replacment O ring for the dip stick. When I got back to my house I relized I lock my self out! I had to wake up a friend to get the number of a house keeper we both use, then call her, she then meet me at a gas station with my house key (I need to leave her a nice tip next time). So I finally finished the car at 4am. GOOD TIMES!

If hear anything that will help, I will let you all know.
I am sorry you had to take them off and on and off, if you where near me I would for sure be rigth next to you helping you out at any time.

If there is anything I can do to make your life a little easier at this point let me know.
Old 07-09-08, 10:16 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

I am sorry you had to take them off and on and off, if you where near me I would for sure be rigth next to you helping you out at any time.

If there is anything I can do to make your life a little easier at this point let me know.
Thanks, I appreciate the support. There is nothing I can do untill the dealer tells me what the problem is/was. My service rep and tech are fully aware of the mods I've been doing. They do not want to void my warrenty, they have been very accomidating to me this entire time. They are just as interested in the results, as us C.L. members are. I hope to hear from them tomorrow, detailing how the flux compasitor or something is behind my issues.
Old 07-10-08, 07:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My header is on over 20 cars, most are 250s, 6 are 350s, no one has any issues with the sim or misfires. The misfires are not because of the header and the dealer already confirmed this.
Is Combfilter's sim problem resolved now!?! That's great news. I was hoping he would have posted some updates here after last weekend...
Old 07-10-08, 08:05 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
Is Combfilter's sim problem resolved now!?! That's great news. I was hoping he would have posted some updates here after last weekend...
We are still working on a fix for that specific issue. I spoke with the people that made my sim, and they did indeed confirm that it seems like Lexus did change something on the newer ECUs. They are working on a fix, but I don't consider that a problem with the sim, since the sim was working and there were no codes for the o2 sensors, it just needs some more fine tuning for the newer ECUs.
Old 07-10-08, 09:27 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Sorry, I have not been reading this forum too much lately. I can only handle so many threads about tanabe exhaust and intakes. There is nothing or nobody really doing anything spectacular with the IS (other than the 2jz swap dude).

My problem is not resolved, There has been no updates from my end since the dyno.

Carchitect has been super busy lately, and sometimes it's hard for him to get the scantool because they use it up their daily.

Basically, here's whats going on from my end so there really won't be much more updates from the v2 headers

1. based on carchitects schedule - log some pulls with the scan tool with the headers on my car . This information will be provided to this thread as promised to both mazzuri and the rest of you. I will post the before and after stuff so you guys can nerd out on the data

2. remove the v2 headers off my car and put the stock manifolds back on. Not looking forward to this. Send the v2 headers back to Daniel.

3. basically just leave my car as is from that point on. I love the tq gains that the v1 headers have, but the sim issues/cel's are not fun. Also me not having any cats at all gets really annoying. My car sounds like a total rice burner right now. I seriously have driven it less than 100 miles in the last month.

So here is a comparison of before and after dyno pulls with the headers on. Listen to how "metalic" my IS sounds. Some of you might like that sound but i don't. Listen around 3k rpm, it almost sounds like my whole heat shield is rattling, but it's not.

borla only
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPAHO5eIMik

borla with headers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E0BcS-o3Bqk

Eventually, I think I will trade up the IS for a new STI once the price drops. I'd say in about a year. heck I can really get anything considering I am single with no kids. The IS is just kind of a boring car. the looks are great, but man when you go ride in other cars around the same price range you realize there is more fun to be had.

Heck this looks interesting too. v6 s2000 w/350hp
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/07...rendering.html

anyways (i am way offtopic), wish I had more news for the rest of you, but thats about it.
Old 07-10-08, 02:52 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

Well Lexus cant find anything wrong with the car. I hate to speculate and guess but here goes... The misfire could be occuring because the car's ECU cant adapt to the change of the intake and exhast. The motor has been released of alot of it's restrictions, gasses are now flowing out of the engine easier this must result in more air coming in (plus I live at sea level)I put my hand in front of the intake before and after installation, and man the car really sucks in the air alot harder with the mods on.

I dont have all the information like Gernby suggested, sorry. That info would be very important to us right now.

So I have a question, maybe I should just keep it to myself but... Do you think the ECU would except the changes if they where done over a length of time? For instance one small mod at a time? This might allow the ECU to adjust slowly instead of all at once. So what I'm saying is run the car with the intake and filter on it for a month. After a month, replace the stock intake and filter, but add the headers. Last question. This one is for the 5 others with these headers. What other mods do you have on your car, intake, exhaust, or stock?
Old 07-11-08, 07:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Given the stock ECU can handle 5 lbs of boost from a supercharger I find it hard to believe that intake, exhaust, and headers can possibly be giving it fits if all the sensors and whatnot are working correctly.

Quick Reply: mazzuri super headers