Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Flashing the engine for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 10:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone could crack the encryption, then we might also be able to raise the rev limiter and remove the speed limiter.
Old 01-24-08, 10:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

And change shift points, possibly tweak VDIM settings, and lots of other nice little things...
Old 01-24-08, 11:21 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And change shift points, possibly tweak VDIM settings, and lots of other nice little things...
That would require cracking the encryption of a handfull of other ECUs too. I think there are about 6 different computers scattered throughout the car.
Old 01-24-08, 11:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
That would require cracking the encryption of a handfull of other ECUs too. I think there are about 6 different computers scattered throughout the car.
I'd be surprised if they didn't use the same encryption system.

It seems unlikely Lexus would spend the time/money to develop multiple, different, encryption systems, all equally hard to break... especially when they need to talk to each other.
Old 01-24-08, 11:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'd be surprised if they didn't use the same encryption system.

It seems unlikely Lexus would spend the time/money to develop multiple, different, encryption systems, all equally hard to break... especially when they need to talk to each other.
That may be the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if each ECU used a totally different platform (8051, ARM7, etc) since each application has different requirements. Each platform would have its own inherent encryption in addition to whatever Toyota might have added. They all communicate via CAN, which is very standardized.
Old 01-24-08, 02:30 PM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Flashing" is just reprogramming the ECU. You are basically tuning the car, running more timing, different air.fuel ratio, etc. For an N/A car, the gains are usually extremely minimal unless the car is tuned very very conservatively.

Forced induction cars like EVOs, STis, 1.8t VWs, 335i's all benefit greatly from "flashes" because they are usually tuned much more conservatively and you can easily raise the boost and timing, providing significant gains.

No one has cracked the IS ECU Im sure because its worthless and for all the time and effort, the gains would most likely be negligble.
Old 01-30-08, 12:39 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carchitect
I'm pretty sure the IS300 sold in asia is the same as the 06 GS300 3GR-FSE 235 hp engine. That engine does indeed have direct injection... and no port injection just like the IS250's 4GR-FSE here in the states.
Wat Kattan said; we've got the 3GR-FSE with only port injection and not direct injection.

Originally Posted by kattanh3
Finally a performance aspect where I feel that I have an advantage over the rest of you lot lol..
I reallllllly hope your right, but realisticly im not gonna keep my hopes up

Originally Posted by kattanh3
the encryption is my biggest challenge? isn’t TOMs offering an ECU remap? Let’s ignore the fact that it is ridiculously expensive and only works on Japanese IS350s, I think the decryption method would be identical… I am really not experienced as all the remaps/reflashes I’ve encountered were simple plug&play’s.

If anybody can suggest something please pitch in.

This isnt definate at all, but the guy from Polimar (TOMS Agent here) was tellin me that TOMS is workin on a supercharger for us, so that should include all the other TOMS goodies that dont work no our "special" cars, like ECU tune up, delimiter .... but like i said, dont hold your breath.
This was a while ago, im gonna see if they have any updates on this
Old 03-16-08, 03:09 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
This isnt definate at all, but the guy from Polimar (TOMS Agent here) was tellin me that TOMS is workin on a supercharger for us, so that should include all the other TOMS goodies that dont work no our "special" cars, like ECU tune up, delimiter .... but like i said, dont hold your breath.
This was a while ago, im gonna see if they have any updates on this
Any news ndk? (no thread hyjacking intended)
Old 03-16-08, 04:30 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

None Yet, But When U Come We Can Pay Polimar A Visit
Old 03-16-08, 06:48 PM
08mica
Pole Position

Like said above, for a NA car the gains woul likely be small. On Turbo cars.....watch out. I went from ~11psi to `spiking ~19psi in my A$ and with some larger injectors to feek the engine I increased hp from 170 to roughly 225. A pretty sweet gain....until you see that torque went for a paltry 166 to over 280. A small turbo with lots of boost and a little advanced timing can make a car come alive.

With a NA car, all that could really be tweaked is timing, rev limiter, and maybe some other things. From what I understand is that the Toyota codes are extremely tough to crack, and the market for upgrading them is limited.----Lets face it, most people don't buy a toyota/lex with any intention on tunning it.
Old 03-16-08, 06:58 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Unless that Toyota is followed by the letters S U P R A of course.
Old 03-16-08, 07:46 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 08mica
Like said above, for a NA car the gains woul likely be small. On Turbo cars.....watch out. I went from ~11psi to `spiking ~19psi in my A$ and with some larger injectors to feek the engine I increased hp from 170 to roughly 225. A pretty sweet gain....until you see that torque went for a paltry 166 to over 280. A small turbo with lots of boost and a little advanced timing can make a car come alive.

With a NA car, all that could really be tweaked is timing, rev limiter, and maybe some other things. From what I understand is that the Toyota codes are extremely tough to crack, and the market for upgrading them is limited.----Lets face it, most people don't buy a toyota/lex with any intention on tunning it.
Toms cracked it in Japan...but US cars use a different ECU, so if they work on the US ECU, then maybe....the gains can be pretty nice on a car with intake and exhaust...like 30-50hp.....thats not a small amount of power....356 HP? and still basically stock!
Old 03-16-08, 08:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

You can't simply add up what all the seperate mods "claim" they give you and come up with an HP figure. It doesn't work that way.
Old 03-16-08, 08:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Anyone considering cracking Toyota's encryption will also need to be concerned about DMCA. If you don't think Scion/Toyota/Lexus will enforce their rights under DMCA, I'd suspect you are not talking to a good attorney.

There are other issues besides DMCA, and with Toyota announcing they're creating their own automobile specific operating system by 2015, I have my doubts there will be much, if any, ability to crack the ECM by the aftermarket. I know people who do this for a living. None are pursuing Toyota products.
Old 03-17-08, 12:50 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ndk83
None Yet, But When U Come We Can Pay Polimar A Visit
Good idea, let’s try to squeeze that into Thursday as well. I am hoping that since we don't have direct injection we will have a milder compression ratio giving us better luck with engine denotation.

Quick Reply: Flashing the engine for more power?