Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust sounds... need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 12:36 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The largest issue is the 2.25" tubing. The smaller the tubing the more the exhaust magnifies turbulence into rasp and popping noises. Further, single exhaust helps minimize the same issues. How many 4" single exhausts have you heard with any rasp or popping?

I simply built exactly what the customer wanted. Part of the objective was that you did not want to be able to see the muffler at all which eliminates most of your options. I did everything in my power to work with build something that fit your requirements, Blake.

Doesn't help that you were leaving to go to school the next morning in another state.
Old 01-16-08, 12:44 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be, I did run 2.5 pipe and I'm not having his prolbem
Old 01-16-08, 01:04 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Taylor@DP
The largest issue is the 2.25" tubing. The smaller the tubing the more the exhaust magnifies turbulence into rasp and popping noises. Further, single exhaust helps minimize the same issues. How many 4" single exhausts have you heard with any rasp or popping?

I simply built exactly what the customer wanted. Part of the objective was that you did not want to be able to see the muffler at all which eliminates most of your options. I did everything in my power to work with build something that fit your requirements, Blake.

Doesn't help that you were leaving to go to school the next morning in another state.
the placing of the muffler really isnt going to change the sound caused by my system.. and you never explained that 2.5" could produce less rasp then a 2.25" when i was debating between the 2 sizes.

you told me it would sound awesome and be very smooth.. it isn't

but i agree it doesnt help that i was leaving the next morning from the time of the install.. but we had everything planned out almost a month in advance
Old 01-16-08, 01:36 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Backfires!

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Does it sound anything like mine?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329217

I have no resonaters x-pipe to HKS... Mine is only raspy when it cold. I get alot of backfires now. ( I likey though)
Haha! Yea, mine backfires when I'm pulling up to stop lights after down shifting into first! It almost makes me want to look around to see if anyone else heard it. Haha!
Old 01-16-08, 01:42 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

I will not be drug into a pissing contest with you but I will state the facts. I made no promises as to the resulting sound of the exhaust. Yes I am surprised to see that you have this issue. However, this is not my first custom exhaust build. The perfect exhaust does not exist - do you remember that line?

You told me you wanted to pick up at least 10rwhp over your current axle back. I said it was possible but not likely. You said you can not stand the look of the large muffler cans from the rear of the vehicle so I designed a solution. You said you want to make as much power as possible but not be any louder. I explained that as you increase flow, it will generally become louder at WOT.
You said that you wanted 2.25" tubing because you did not want to loose torque. I was already tired of defending my previous experience, and did not want to argue anymore so I did exactly what you stated confidently you wanted.

As a result, I ate a $220 shipping bill to get the parts on time for you so that I could complete the job by the deadline. I only charged you for 1/2 the time required to complete the job (even after I explained you are responsible for paying the actual time to build), and I built a 100% mandrel, 304 stainless, fully TIG welded, beautiful exhaust.

You have changed your mind so many times I can't even count. At the last minute you wanted to have the X-pipe in front of the resonators which I explained that we will need to remove the secondary cats to do this. So I did as you asked.

In the end, you have exactly what you wanted as far as material, part selection, and workmanship for a fraction of the costs. This is part of the game, if you can't handle it don't modify your car.

I will not be debating this anymore and this will be the last offer to bring it by when you are back in town.
Old 01-16-08, 02:06 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You need your OEM Cats period, or it will rasp no matter what you do--with your exhaust setup--

High flows may help, but will not calm the sound as much.

I don't understand why you didn't keep your OEM CATS?
Old 01-16-08, 02:08 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor@DP
I will not be drug into a pissing contest with you but I will state the facts. I made no promises as to the resulting sound of the exhaust. Yes I am surprised to see that you have this issue. However, this is not my first custom exhaust build. The perfect exhaust does not exist - do you remember that line?

You told me you wanted to pick up at least 10rwhp over your current axle back. I said it was possible but not likely. You said you can not stand the look of the large muffler cans from the rear of the vehicle so I designed a solution. You said you want to make as much power as possible but not be any louder. I explained that as you increase flow, it will generally become louder at WOT.
You said that you wanted 2.25" tubing because you did not want to loose torque. I was already tired of defending my previous experience, and did not want to argue anymore so I did exactly what you stated confidently you wanted.

As a result, I ate a $220 shipping bill to get the parts on time for you so that I could complete the job by the deadline. I only charged you for 1/2 the time required to complete the job (even after I explained you are responsible for paying the actual time to build), and I built a 100% mandrel, 304 stainless, fully TIG welded, beautiful exhaust.

You have changed your mind so many times I can't even count. At the last minute you wanted to have the X-pipe in front of the resonators which I explained that we will need to remove the secondary cats to do this. So I did as you asked.

In the end, you have exactly what you wanted as far as material, part selection, and workmanship for a fraction of the costs. This is part of the game, if you can't handle it don't modify your car.

I will not be debating this anymore and this will be the last offer to bring it by when you are back in town.
Lextasy, sounds like you got exactly what you wanted. Taylor has a really good reputation from the supra guys, so i can't imagine his above statements not being true. I am sorry that you not happy with the outcome.

If you go back and search your threads regarding exhaust or anything performance for that matter, you (and i3urton) change your mind more than two people on coke talking about a movie. whatever is the topic of that week you guys are getting it, whether its n2o, exhaust, intake. You should understand the possible outcome of doing these modifications.

enjoy your car man. I wish I had one at your age.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-16-08, 02:28 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Taylor.. yes you did a great job on my exhaust.. my only complaint is the noise at higher rpms.. but we had planned on taking off the secondary cats before i asked you to put the x pipe in front of the resonators.. i never changed my mind about doing that.. you had told me it wouldnt fit so i asked again once the parts were n if we could see if it was possible for sure or not..

i didnt change my mind at all.. always want power .. always will. i just was not expecting this sound.. neither was Taylor.. so i was trying to see if there was a small solution to get rid of it.. that it as all
Old 01-16-08, 02:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you mainly disliking the sound from inside the car, or the outside as well? If the sound on the inside bothers you, then maybe you could solve the problem by insulating your trunk pan.
Old 01-16-08, 03:38 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

no its mainly outside the car.. but i would like to tone down the inside a tad if possible.. so i guess i could take that into consideration
Old 01-16-08, 04:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great discussion gang!!

Quick question??

What type of resonators are being used in your set up???

Perforated core or Louvered core ?

(side-by-side Samples pictured below, click for enlarged)

The Louvered core designed resonator (on the right) will do a much better job with exhaust sound turbulence, than the preforated ones.

Edit:
Just did some quick research on google...
Looks like the "Vibrant" ones you have, are a preforated core design.. sorry

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-16-08 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 04:27 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

Joe Z, you are correct they are perforated cores. A louvered core will create more turbulence and absorb more of the sound waves but your idea is correct. Again this exhaust was designed for the best possible flow which a louvered core does not provide. A louvered core resonator would be a good option now that sound is a larger factor than flow.
Old 01-16-08, 05:11 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

I might be pissing in to a head wind here, but this is one of the primary reasons why the after-market is slow to bring any thing other than cosmetics to the 2nd gen IS
Old 01-16-08, 06:11 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the lesson on resonators Joe. I always wondered what the differences were with resonators besides the actual size and finish.
Old 01-20-08, 01:19 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

ok i am now cosidering removing my 18" resonators and putting some additional magnaflow mufflers.. i found these http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...14415-390.html
do you guys thinks this would quiet down my system best?

or i also found these.. which i will put in front of my x pipe if possible.. http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...94605-794.html
it says "The 94400 Series universal has the same basic catalyst as the 94000 Series universal with the addition of a built-in resonated core that helps quiet exhaust noise."

i want to figure out which will help quiet it down and get rid of the high pitch noise.. but don't want to sacrifice too much performance

Quick Reply: exhaust sounds... need HELP!!!