Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust sounds... need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 07:13 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry exhaust sounds... need HELP!!!

OK guys.. so ive had a custom exhaust for about a week and i need help bigtime!!

It is all custom.. goes from the primary cats to a magnaflow x pipe where the secondary cats were.. right into 2 18" bottle style resonators from vibrant performance.. then some high quality tubing into 2 magnaflow mufflers at the end of the system..

all .049" sidewall tubing in 2.25"

but i dont get it!! the resonators are not doing their job!!!!

after 4500 rpms my car sounds like its farting!! this ***** is terrible and has to go asap!!

what do you guys suggest??
Old 01-15-08, 09:01 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

If the secondary cats can be made to fit put them back on. The honeycomb takes some of the rasp out.
Old 01-15-08, 11:33 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

alright thanks

i might try and do that.. bad thing is though.. i no longer have my seconadaries.. anyone taken theres off willing to sell??
Old 01-16-08, 04:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I suggest just buying some high flow cats to replace your old ones. BTW..the exhaust shop that I used for my mid-pipe said that longer resonators don't always work very well. Oddly enough a 12" resonator may have done a better job than the 18".

Either way, I'd throw on some high flow cats in place of those 18" resonators.
Old 01-16-08, 06:42 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Yowza!

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
OK guys.. so ive had a custom exhaust for about a week and i need help bigtime!!

It is all custom.. goes from the primary cats to a magnaflow x pipe where the secondary cats were.. right into 2 18" bottle style resonators from vibrant performance.. then some high quality tubing into 2 magnaflow mufflers at the end of the system..

all .049" sidewall tubing in 2.25"

but i dont get it!! the resonators are not doing their job!!!!

after 4500 rpms my car sounds like its farting!! this ***** is terrible and has to go asap!!

what do you guys suggest??
You have to take into consideration that these cars don't act like a Chevy when you put full exhaust on them.

I'm sure the design, flow & back pressure has alot to do with this...I bet your hearing the same sound that I did when my o2 sensor fell out after being cross threaded. Haha Total loss of power and yes, it sounded like it was farting too!
Old 01-16-08, 07:02 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Wow... your experience sure has me rethinking a custom Magnaflow exhaust system... may just go HKS and be done with it....
Old 01-16-08, 07:28 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do anything until you put the car up on a lift or something to look for exhaust leaks.
Old 01-16-08, 07:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gernby
I wouldn't do anything until you put the car up on a lift or something to look for exhaust leaks.
Yes, definitely get the car up on a lift. Check for leaks and get us some pictures of the exhaust system.
Old 01-16-08, 07:39 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about you guys but I like the rasp! haha, mine exhaust sounds like a louder version of a G35/Supra.
Old 01-16-08, 07:54 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have access to a video camera, please post a video like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgz-2BuKM0w
Old 01-16-08, 09:13 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why not take it back to the shop you had do it and have them take a look at it. But chaser07 is right. You wanted the custom exhaust and now you got it. Your quiet lexus has taken on a new form.

Now I could be 100% wrong, but based on past experience the exhaust shop can't just throw away your old cats. They typically are supposed to give them to a place that recycles them or disposes of them properly. I had to save gernby's last year, because the shop had already gave them to the recycle place. Luckly they still had them, and returned them back tot he shop.
Old 01-16-08, 09:14 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it sound anything like mine?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329217

I have no resonaters x-pipe to HKS... Mine is only raspy when it cold. I get alot of backfires now. ( I likey though)
Old 01-16-08, 09:41 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Does it sound anything like mine?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329217

I have no resonaters x-pipe to HKS... Mine is only raspy when it cold. I get alot of backfires now. ( I likey though)
Jeremy,

Can you post a picture of your exhaust setup. I'm curious to see what it looks like from the mid-pipe back.
Old 01-16-08, 10:15 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

it sounds kinda like jeremys from what i can tell.. i dunno.. if u reved it to 5k does it sounds farting even not under load?? mine does.. if i stay lower then it sounds fine and smooth.

i may try and keepmy set up now.. but throw on some high flow cats right before the x pipe... wish i would have kept my old ones though

and it may be illegal or whatever but Taylor told me the trashed picked them up, so im guessing thats what happend.
Old 01-16-08, 10:48 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
it sounds kinda like jeremys from what i can tell.. i dunno.. if u reved it to 5k does it sounds farting even not under load?? mine does.. if i stay lower then it sounds fine and smooth.
At 4k there is a little raspy sound, but only under light loads, and only for @ 200 rpms . I had a friend of mine say it sounds like a badass/ nasty 350z. Otherwise its just as smooth as just the HKS's. I'm thinking the HKS have alot more packing and are changing the sound on mine. What packing wall thickness are you running and is it the same for the front and rear mufflers? Also, I,d like to say that if you could move the frist set of mufflers to the same place as the main(large round) factory muffler then the raspy sound will go away. Placement could be the issue. The X-pipe will always have a raspy tone to it also. I'd start to think about how the sound was canclled out from factory and try to adapt to what you already have. X-pipe in the place of the secondary cats >> mufflers in the place of the factory muffler>> And put back your HKS mufflers to finish off. If you want a smoother sound then try Tanabe to finish off. There also seems to be a change in what you wanted. If you wanted more power then you have the right setup. If you just wanted a little louder then you should have just removed the cats only.

Quick Reply: exhaust sounds... need HELP!!!