Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 08:26 PM
is250awdnj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Turbo Discussion Thread

I don't know about you guys but the one thing that I want more than anything for my car is a turbo. But I was looking at my engine tonight when I came to a point that it may be impossible.

Our headers are located on the right bottom side of the engine.
And our intake, throttle body, intake manifold, etc. is located at the top left of our engine.

The point I'm making is that the two main components to the working of a turbo are located at two opposite sides of the IS's engine.

So my hypothesis is that when it comes to turbo charging the IS, the case is closed.

What do you think?
Old 01-16-08, 10:35 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want turbos, but a GTR. If you are a broke boy who wants turbos, but a sooby.
Old 01-17-08, 05:04 AM
is250awdnj
Driver

I have a 1992 Plymouth Laser AWD Turbo in my garage right now. The discussion isn't about my want/need for turbo in a car. It's about everyone else's want/need for a turbo in the 2G IS.
Old 01-17-08, 05:35 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never say never. I have not the first idea about turbo-ing a car but they can do anything now a days. I want to supercharge mine.
Old 01-17-08, 07:04 AM
is250awdnj
Driver

I have faith but I'm trying to discuss the technical possibility or impossibility of turbo charging 2IS. With reference to my first post, the task seems impossible. I've thought of different ways for it to work but they are impossible because of the location of parts on our engine. I want other people's thoughts and ideas on the subject.
Old 01-17-08, 08:02 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default "Remote" Turbo possiblility

Originally Posted by is250awdnj
I don't know about you guys but the one thing that I want more than anything for my car is a turbo. But I was looking at my engine tonight when I came to a point that it may be impossible.

Our headers are located on the right bottom side of the engine.
And our intake, throttle body, intake manifold, etc. is located at the top left of our engine.

The point I'm making is that the two main components to the working of a turbo are located at two opposite sides of the IS's engine.

So my hypothesis is that when it comes to turbo charging the IS, the case is closed.

What do you think?
Back when I had my 05' Tahoe, I was looking into turbo charging it after I became bored.

After researching the different types of Turbo's I ran across a "Remote" Turbo set up. I believe the "Remote" stood for "a remote location" as far as the placement of the turbo goes. They had placed the turbo underneath the vehicle, basically under the passenger seat.

It would take a few brains to collaborate on this idea as far as the placement of the turbo goes, but placement isn't the issue from what I've heard within these forums. It's our compression ratio that you need to be worried about. That's basically why the Super Charger's for the 2GIS only add's 50hp...They'd have to come out with some aftermarket "engine internals" to lower the compression ratio first to get the best bang for your buck...

I'm no expert but it's something to dwell on... Good luck
Old 01-17-08, 09:51 AM
is250awdnj
Driver

I understand what your getting at, but even if the real issue is what your talking about. Our engines are practically brand new and like I mentioned before, I have a 92 Laser that handles great amountys of horsepower through upgrades with stock internals. So how could a new Lexus' internals be more delicate than an old car with 80k+ on the motor?
Old 01-17-08, 10:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

the difference regarding internals is the the 4g63t is a overbuilt beast of an engine with low static compression, 7.8:1.

modern lexus engines are high compression and aren't nearly as strong as a 4g63t. that means they won't be able to handle the same kind of boost that a dsm can. of course, 6 psi is perfectly do able ona high comp engine and will easily make 100+hp on a larger displacement v6 over stock.

can it be done? yes. you'll need to mount the turbo somewhere else other than right on the manifold. lots of cars are built this way. look at some ls1 turbo camaros for example. then it's just a matter of running charge piping to the front to the IC, then up tht e throttle body.
then you'll need some sort of engine management, fuel pump, fuel injectors and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-17-08, 10:43 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

one way to help keep your lexus engine together is by using water injection. this keep pre ignition to a minimum even on a high compression engine while allowing full timing and higher boost. you can equate it to using 110 octane race fuel.
Old 01-17-08, 10:46 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't really call this "THE" turbo thread since there have been several others. Of course, the bigger issues with putting a turbo on this car will be the engine internals and ECM. It also seems silly to even consider this with an IS250.
Old 01-17-08, 11:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Gernby has it right.... location of the hardware is the -least- problem with turboing a 2IS.

Complete inability to use any engine management other than stock and the nearly 12:1 compression ratio are both a whole lot bigger issues.

You could run 5 lbs of boost on the stock engine/computer setup... but LMS already will sell you a supercharger that does that, and it's not real impressive (about 40 whp for about $6000). A turbo'll get you a little more since you avoid the parasitic loss, but it still will be a horrible mod for the cost.
Old 01-17-08, 04:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

with the different trims of IS offered I dont see why anyone would try FI, you can easily spend the same amount of money on parts, labor, tuning, maintainence as you would going to the next highest IS trim, and at least youd have a factory warranty
Old 01-17-08, 05:54 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

i'm tired of seeing these same threads.....honestly it's been covered before....

unless if you want to spend some serious money, and i mean a lot, to attempt to make a turbo for this car, considering the high compression of the motor, meaning new interals would have to be built to lower the compression to get a substantial amount of power out of the motor. the area in which to route piping, not to mention the ecu would have to be cracked or a standalone in it's place which we have seen to almost impossible and extremely difficult to program necessary engine management to sustain boost and keep the a/f ratio's in check.

unless if you feel like spending a **** ton to do this then it isn't not gonna happen. don't get me wrong it would be cool to see this and someone do it, but most of us won't drop that amount of money to do it. i could prob pick an used STI and mod it extensively in addition to my IS.

as many of you i will always look for more performance, however the high strung nature of these motors will limit us with boost, the only thing you can do to help the motor is bolt on parts, such as headers, which hopefully if they fit i will be purchasing in the near future.
Old 01-17-08, 07:32 PM
is250awdnj
Driver

All of these points are great. The main reason I created this thread with this topic is because, I too, am sick of seeing member's want for more horsepower. The exhaust and intake for our car is only taking modders so far in hp.

Yes, turbo charging our care would take lots of money and work but what you aren't seeing is that there are people on the forum and not even on the forum that if they are willing to spend the kind of money into supercharging, as a couple people already did, they can spend that kind of money on turbo charging too.

I'm also another person that's sick of seeing the same mods over and over. So why not talk about something outrageous but possible if the time/money was spent? I never pointed fingers and told people to do it or that I was going to do it. I just wanted to see if there was a way and what tasks would have to be completed for making this possible.
Old 01-19-08, 09:39 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is250awdnj
I'm also another person that's sick of seeing the same mods over and over.
then goto japan and get this

it will cost you about the same as the R&D, labor, and parts needed to do a quality turbo job on this car and you'll be pretty damn rare

Quick Reply: The Turbo Discussion Thread