Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help! HKS hangs too low :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 05:26 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! HKS hangs too low :(

im unhappy with how my HKS exhaust seems to be hanging a bit low. i like the look of the exhaust as is, but i have problems with the exhaust scratching a bit on my driveway. just wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on how i could maybe make my exhaust sit a bit higher? so that there is maybe a 1 finger gap between the tips and bumper? here are some pics:

Old 01-23-08, 05:34 PM
micah
Rookie

you might be able to just move it up on the stock rubber exhaust hangers. not sure how yours are set up, but there might be a hole in the middle that you can slide it in to. or by shorter, stiffer ones at a muffler shop. most places shoudl be able to remedy this. it only looks like it needs to come up about 2 inches or so. hope this helps.
Old 01-23-08, 05:44 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

first loosen up the blots, second get a freind to hold the exhaust in the position you want it on the hanger, meaning push up from the bottom of the can. while he is doing that re tighten your bolts while he is still pushing it up. then you should be good, done this with a lot of exhausts including my own hks and it's pretty much dead even now, just off by a few centimeters, but no biggie.
Old 01-23-08, 05:59 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy some hose clamps at the Home Depot. Place around the rubber hangers. Tighten until the gap is correct. They look like this
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-08, 06:01 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did this to almost every exhaust I've had. It will turn out like this.
Attached Thumbnails help! HKS hangs too low :(-christmas-07-026.jpg  
Old 01-23-08, 08:13 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
first loosen up the blots, second get a freind to hold the exhaust in the position you want it on the hanger, meaning push up from the bottom of the can. while he is doing that re tighten your bolts while he is still pushing it up. then you should be good, done this with a lot of exhausts including my own hks and it's pretty much dead even now, just off by a few centimeters, but no biggie.
Yep this is how i "fixed" my borla. your left side is almost always going to be a #$@# hair lower than your right. I have noticed a lot of threads with people having the same issue on the left side. Do what as3 said, and then if you search for caymandive 's post you can see how he used a zip tie to pull up the rubber hanger piece higher. Looks like Jeremy also has a suggestion with that clamp/ring.

Here was my borla before I adjusted it. I was happy with the right side, but you can see the left.
Old 01-23-08, 11:58 PM
x2mkx
Driver

sweet thx for the help guys! think im gonna go with jeremy's suggestion and get some hose clamps, considering the fact that i dont have access to a lift. im hoping i can achieve those results with just a jack, and MAYBE two jack stands. again, thx for the feedback!

btw comb, that squirrel in youre picture was HILARIOUS. i couldnt stop laughing it was just too freakin random LOL
Old 01-24-08, 07:58 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hahah that pic is from another thread a while back. Yeah here in texas we have those things everywhere.
Old 01-24-08, 08:01 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by combfilter
hahah that pic is from another thread a while back. Yeah here in texas we have those things everywhere.
Yeah the majority of them are laying in the middle of the road and dead as a door nail.
Old 01-24-08, 08:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep this is how i "fixed" my borla. your left side is almost always going to be a #$@# hair lower than your right. I have noticed a lot of threads with people having the same issue on the left side. Do what as3 said, and then if you search for caymandive 's post you can see how he used a zip tie to pull up the rubber hanger piece higher. Looks like Jeremy also has a suggestion with that clamp/ring.

Here was my borla before I adjusted it. I was happy with the right side, but you can see the left.
With the Tanabe,the lefty side was pretty much the same on my 250.
I just bent the muffler prongs that go into the hangers and pushed up the muffler while tightening the two bolts and it's very close to the right side.
Old 01-24-08, 08:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Squirrel...
Old 01-24-08, 09:13 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u sure thats a squirrel? looks awfully small or is that just the tail? we get alot of em here in NY too....digs up ur lawn....bastards..
Old 01-24-08, 09:40 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
u sure thats a squirrel? looks awfully small or is that just the tail? we get alot of em here in NY too....digs up ur lawn....bastards..
That's definitely a squirrel.
Old 01-24-08, 10:41 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmmm ... got me thinking about some Squirrel K-bobs, Squirrel Chouder, Squirrel Tacos, Squirrel Nuggets, Squirrel Burgers, Squirrel Casserole ... time for lunch ...
Old 01-24-08, 04:44 PM
x2mkx
Driver

sweet! all done...i used the hose clamps like jeremy suggested and tightened them until i got about a 1 finger gap between the top of the tip and the bumper. heres a pic:

dunno if its noticeable but i can sure tell the difference in person!

oh and gernby, u got my stomach upset LOL

Quick Reply: help! HKS hangs too low :(