Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Valve body upgrade on GS4...who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 04:09 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Valve body upgrade on GS4...who's done it?

I was thinking of doing this for a while now. I was going to do this mod when I had my PI TC and 3.76 LSD installed but decided not to. I would like to know how the drivability is with this mod and just how much of a difference does it make in performance. Since this is my daily driver I wouldn't want to lose the smoothness of shifting. What exactly is done with this mod? Thanks!
Nick
Old 01-26-08, 08:35 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The VB upgrade improves the flow of the tranny fluids so it will shift harder and faster. Because it's able to do that it decreases the heat build up in the tranny. You do it mostly to increase the life of the tranny but the added performance is a plus.

There's really no point because your NA. The stock tranny should be able to handle about 500hp at the flywheel.
Old 01-27-08, 10:42 AM
jesod
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it because I was slipping a little bit between shifts w/ the Nitrous and the shifts were not really crisp. I can say that the shifting is a lot firmer but unless I get on it a little I don't really notice too much of a difference. It dropped about .2-.4 seconds off the 1/4 not only because of quicker shifts but no slipping.
Old 01-27-08, 07:16 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSoup
The VB upgrade improves the flow of the tranny fluids so it will shift harder and faster. Because it's able to do that it decreases the heat build up in the tranny. You do it mostly to increase the life of the tranny but the added performance is a plus.

There's really no point because your NA. The stock tranny should be able to handle about 500hp at the flywheel.
how do you do such an upgrade? is there a kit you can buy? is this a DIY type of thing or do I need to go to a shop to have it done? is the gs4 trans the same as the gs3 trans? im currently working on a T78 2jzgte swap and im looking to beef up my trans. Im not looking to go too much past 500, but i also dont want to buy a custom trans either. . .
Old 01-27-08, 09:59 PM
jesod
Pole Position

My and my bro did mine. Dropped the Valve Body sent it to IPT then they sent it back. We put it back in. Look at IPT website. Little spendy but if it saves the trans it's a good move. If you don't have mechanical skills, probably better to have a trans. guy do it.
Old 01-28-08, 05:15 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSoup

Thanks...well explained! I was simply looking for a quicker shift without having to change my tranny. I thought the VB ungrade would be for me.
Old 01-28-08, 09:49 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
is there a kit you can buy? is this a DIY type of thing or do I need to go to a shop to have it done?

http://www.swiftracing.com/engine/tranny.htm
http://www.levelten.com/store/import...exus_hydro.htm
Unless you are a serious mechanic with all the necessary equipment, I would suggest taking it too a shop.
Old 01-28-08, 03:25 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Avoid Level Ten like the plague... Check out Supraforums for member's experiences...

added linky:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...light=level+10

Last edited by trbopooh; 01-28-08 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added linky
Old 01-29-08, 04:01 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

I want to buy an upgraded torque convertor with this upgrade as well. When buying the TC, how does one determine what stall to go with?
Old 01-29-08, 05:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I want to buy an upgraded torque convertor with this upgrade as well. When buying the TC, how does one determine what stall to go with?
Your basic range for the Precision Industries or Lextreme TC is 2800 - 3200 stall. The higher the # the more extreme (off-the-line performance) but less drivability. Many members including myself go with the halfway point 2900/3000 . GL! Also, VERY important buy a B&M transmission cooler. They are roughly $60 and saves your tranny from the added heat of the upgraded torque converter. It helps keep trans fluids at a cooler level.
Old 01-29-08, 11:58 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

i had a VB before but it was not shifting really hard into 3rd. didnt get much in 1st to second. i was told it was because of the 2800 TC i have. for the time i had it, it was fun but not really daily drive quality. this was just my experience.
Old 01-30-08, 05:17 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShaneC
i had a VB before but it was not shifting really hard into 3rd. didnt get much in 1st to second. i was told it was because of the 2800 TC i have. for the time i had it, it was fun but not really daily drive quality. this was just my experience.
Thanks! I'll put this into consideration.
Old 02-04-08, 06:57 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

my next question would be: is the 4speed and 5speed valve bodies the same? meaning could i use a VB for the 5 speed in my 4 speed trans?
Old 02-06-08, 12:42 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

my next question would be: is the 4speed and 5speed valve bodies the same? meaning could i use a VB for the 5 speed in my 4 speed trans?
i would like to know this as well...does anyone know?
Old 02-16-08, 11:18 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously doubt a five speed vb upgrade will work in a 4 speed. As far as a TC is concerned, a GS300 already has a high stall TC in it. I know its more than a stock GS400. Since your working on a GTE tranny, i'm not as familiar with them and couldn't guess what the stall speed is.

Quick Reply: Valve body upgrade on GS4...who's done it?