Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JoeZ vs Injen

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 08:26 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you listen at 1:05 of this video of our moderator JavyLSU's dyno, (I could be totally wrong here) but I believe he has/had a JoeZ intake in this video.

That noise you hear at that point is the intake noise difference.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nMOmrO837jc
Old 02-06-08, 08:54 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
If you listen at 1:05 of this video of our moderator JavyLSU's dyno, (I could be totally wrong here) but I believe he has/had a JoeZ intake in this video.

That noise you hear at that point is the intake noise difference.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nMOmrO837jc
NOPE!! he has the K&N intake.. it says it on the video info
Old 02-06-08, 09:00 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well I am glad I put the ( ) part because I figured I could be wrong.

the noise you hear though is def. intake.
Old 02-09-08, 09:04 AM
lexus250
Pole Position

I had the injen, loved the sound and dyno showed an increase in rwhp. But the thing is that in reality on the road low end (1st gear) was great, but anything after that (2nd, 3rd, 4th) suffered form it. So rwhp gain YES, real 1/4 mile time lost YES.
Old 02-09-08, 03:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus250
I had the injen, loved the sound and dyno showed an increase in rwhp. But the thing is that in reality on the road low end (1st gear) was great, but anything after that (2nd, 3rd, 4th) suffered form it. So rwhp gain YES, real 1/4 mile time lost YES.
You mean you dyno'd more but lost 1/4 mile time? So, more than likely there is no correlation between your dyno and real world performance? Say it isn't so!
Old 02-09-08, 05:09 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

What i am thinking that was happening was the Injen intake was making good RWHP at low end because of the less restriction. But when it got to higher speed it felt like the engin was being sufficated by to much air and the computer was compensating for it. So I put down more rwhp because on the dyno there is a consistent amount of air. I posted dyno sheets before and showed 171 rwhp compared to stock at 164 rwhp in cooler weather.
Old 02-09-08, 07:27 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a supporter of any SRI's that are available for our cars, but I do want to make a defense about them. When people say that they feel like they gained power here, and lost power there ... they really have no clue whether they gained or lost overall. They are really only saying that the shape of the torque curve changed. Dyno testing is worthless for intakes because of the open / closed / fanned hood thing. Track testing is nice, but it doesn't do jack jimminy crap for factoring in differendes in weather.

Last edited by Gernby; 02-09-08 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lexus250
What i am thinking that was happening was the Injen intake was making good RWHP at low end because of the less restriction. But when it got to higher speed it felt like the engin was being sufficated by to much air and the computer was compensating for it. So I put down more rwhp because on the dyno there is a consistent amount of air. I posted dyno sheets before and showed 171 rwhp compared to stock at 164 rwhp in cooler weather.
I think your impression of how engines make power is a little naive. Low end power never suffers from "restriction" even with a clogged air filter because so little airflow is required to run at low rpm, even with the throttle wide open. It is impossible to "suffocate" an engine with too much air, and there is more than enough excess capacity in any Toyota engine to compensate for even very large increases in airflow. I've seen way too many real world results to think differently.

Once again, lots of driving impressions, and very little measurable substance.

If you lost time in the 1/4 mile, you made less power. Period. Whether the problem was weather or the intake is another discussion, but the truth is, if you went slower at the track, you made less power than the last time you were there. There can be no question about that.
Old 02-11-08, 08:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

While I agree with 99.9% of what you just said there, I'd look more at losing trap speed in the 1/4 to mean less power than losing ET.

ET can easily be changed by things having nothing to do with power at the wheels, including suspension, vehicle weight, tires, amount of VHT on the track, etc...
Old 02-11-08, 12:11 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

I did loose overall power your right but my peek RWHP was more on the dyno.
Old 02-11-08, 02:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Kurtz
While I agree with 99.9% of what you just said there, I'd look more at losing trap speed in the 1/4 to mean less power than losing ET.

ET can easily be changed by things having nothing to do with power at the wheels, including suspension, vehicle weight, tires, amount of VHT on the track, etc...
Agreed. Trap speed is hp, and more is better. ET can change for a million things having nothing to do with hp. But the OP didn't mention trap speed because like many people, he equates hp with time not speed when the exact opposite is true.
Old 02-11-08, 02:50 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

so pple that put in intakes install them just for sound just like the exhaust.
Old 02-11-08, 03:49 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Agreed. Trap speed is hp, and more is better. ET can change for a million things having nothing to do with hp. But the OP didn't mention trap speed because like many people, he equates hp with time not speed when the exact opposite is true.

too true and yet so many clowns out there just rep their times not trap speed
Old 02-11-08, 06:18 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
too true and yet so many clowns out there just rep their times not trap speed
kinda makes since though.. u win by the fastest time.. not highest speed
Old 02-11-08, 06:45 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
kinda makes since though.. u win by the fastest time.. not highest speed

true but at time comes down to a whole lot of factors most importantly tires and drivetrain. time may win sponsors but mph earns you bragging rights.

Quick Reply: JoeZ vs Injen