Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JoeZ vs Injen

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 04:23 PM
Letsrunem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JoeZ vs Injen

I currently have an Injen SP2 intake and i love the sound. From what my buddies told me, intakes don't really give you too much in regards to performance. But after reading numerous threads, i heard that a lot of intakes are actually taking power away from cars. The last thing i would want is to have any power taken away from my car.

So im wondering,

Since the intake doesnt really do anything as far as performance, should i sell my intake and get the JoeZ? or should i just stay with what i have because plus or minus 3 horsepower isnt really going to do much anyway.

Someone who has experience with both intakes, please get back to me.
Old 02-05-08, 05:00 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

you will notice zero performance difference by switching intakes.. maybe the joez will be somewhat quieter.. but thats all you are going to notice.. its gonna be maybe a 2-5 hp difference.. i dont even think you would see a difference in track time.. if u raced your car
Old 02-06-08, 08:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
you will notice zero performance difference by switching intakes.. maybe the joez will be somewhat quieter.. but thats all you are going to notice.. its gonna be maybe a 2-5 hp difference.. i dont even think you would see a difference in track time.. if u raced your car
I'll try not to sound biased, when I post this....

Little know fact....
Best 1/4 mile times found here on Club Lexus (w/ IS350), have been running the "Joe Z Intakes" in their set up.

Old 02-06-08, 09:26 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ they also didn't have front passenger seats in their car(gernby and caymandive), low fuel, drag radials (cept gernby didn't have drag radials), good density altitude, lower profile tires to change gearing, oh and a joez intake pipe.
Old 02-06-08, 10:44 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Like I said Troy..... "in their setup"

Originally Posted by combfilter
^^^^ they also didn't have front passenger seats in their car(gernby and caymandive), low fuel, drag radials (cept gernby didn't have drag radials), good density altitude, lower profile tires to change gearing, oh and a joez intake pipe.
Old 02-06-08, 11:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Sorry to go a bit OT, but I didn't have low fuel for my best runs and I wasn't using "drag radials", but R compounds like Gernby. I had close to a half tank of gas, which is why I pulled the seat to compensate for the extra weight. Seemed fair to me.

Extra 7 gallons of gas x 6lbs each is 42lbs. Passenger seat is 65lbs. So basically equaled out to me being a 142lb driver.
Old 02-06-08, 11:56 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
Sorry to go a bit OT, but I didn't have low fuel for my best runs and I wasn't using drag radials, but R compounds. I had close to a half tank of gas, which is why I pulled the seat to compensate for the extra weight. Seemed fair to me.

Extra 7 gallons of gas x 6lbs each is 42lbs. Passenger seat is 65lbs. So basically equaled out to me being a 142lb driver.
Every 7 pounds is aprox. 1 HP...
Old 02-06-08, 11:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big *****
Every 7 pounds is aprox. 1 HP...
Every 1 hp or equivalent we can get out of this car is like finding gold.
Old 02-06-08, 12:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Sorry to go a bit OT, but I didn't have low fuel for my best runs and I wasn't using "drag radials", but R compounds like Gernby. I had close to a half tank of gas, which is why I pulled the seat to compensate for the extra weight. Seemed fair to me.

You only weigh 142 lbs?! Damn, I guess I need to gut the whole interior to compensate for my 222 lbs ***!

BTW, our cars weigh at least 3500 lbs, and have about 270 rwhp. That's about 13 lbs = 1 rwhp.
Old 02-06-08, 12:13 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gernby
You only weigh 142 lbs?! Damn, I guess I need to gut the whole interior to compensate for my 222 lbs ***!

BTW, our cars weigh at least 3500 lbs, and have about 270 rwhp. That's about 13 lbs = 1 rwhp.
No, I'm 165lbs. I was just pointing out that I weighed an equivalent of 142lbs with the 1/2 tank of gas and front passenger seat removed.

FYI. 1/4 tank of gas, full interior minus spare and jack. The car weighed 3650lbs with me in the car.

Last edited by caymandive; 02-06-08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 12:19 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

that was easy. troll lines work well in the winter.
Old 02-06-08, 12:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I just realized that Texas Motorplex opens back up this weekend. I guess I need to get going on the transmission controller ASAP so I can reclaim my friggin' title!
Old 02-06-08, 12:48 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

you also might want to start your diet too
Old 02-06-08, 04:32 PM
Letsrunem
Driver School Candidate

And so....in conclusion,

Unless your goin to the track a lot, having a JoeZ intake or any other aftermarket intake isn't going to make a signifcant difference.

Would that be an accurate statement?
Old 02-06-08, 04:37 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Letsrunem
And so....in conclusion,

Unless your goin to the track a lot, having a JoeZ intake or any other aftermarket intake isn't going to make a signifcant difference.

Would that be an accurate statement?
Correct. Biggest difference is noise.

Quick Reply: JoeZ vs Injen