Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake VS K&N intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 07:02 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well chek this out...I just recently dyno'd my GS400; I have the K&N FIPK intake, Borla exhaust and newly tuned Apexi AFC Neo. I dyno'd at 268.1hp and around 296.2Tq. So, my baseline was around 251hp (that's WITH the K&N FIPK intake and my Borla exhaust). Let's say there is roughly a 20% loss of power due to the drivetrain...that means a BONE STOCK GS400 should be at 240hp. Therefore, it is PROVEN in this example that my K&N intake with a tuned Apexi Neo (along with my rear section Borla which probably makes nothing.lol) made 28.1hp @ the wheels more over a stock GS400 (240hp - 268.1)! It's all the same here guys. You spend $550+shipping on an SRT intake or you spend $250 on a K&N intake and $300 on a Apexi Neo. Yeah, you still have to spend some more $$$ to have the Neo dyno tuned BUT guess what....whenever you do ANYTHING down the road such as headers, full exhaust etc etc you can re-tune this Neo (as GSteg mentioned) whereas you CANNOT add an A/F controller to tune these added items if you have the SRT; you are stuck. and THAT's why you see many SRT intakes on the CLASSIFIED section more so than ever before.
+1 That's the whole reason I went with the K&N also! I wanted to expand with other things.......The SRT setup is made for just an intake with stock exhaust! I had one on my 98gs4 with the headers and just l-tunned exhaust and I noticed a difference! And you will really hear it. I heard it through all RPM ranges especially at wot!
Old 02-07-08, 07:03 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by masboy
Welcome to CL Vic, I agree with both of them. if you have female in ur car, just be ready to hear their complaint about the SRT intake noise, other than that....lovin' it
I dunno about the females you take in your car, but all the ones I've taken for rides LOVE the loud aggressive sound of the SRT ... Especially my g/f now, she's really into cars, I got lucky on this one, she's a keeper
Old 02-07-08, 08:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

For those who can't afford the neo, the regular apexi SAFC2 can be had for about $160 or so off of ebay. Spend the rest on dyno and a tune, and no doubt you'll be making a good amount of power
Old 02-07-08, 08:25 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Well chek this out...I just recently dyno'd my GS400; I have the K&N FIPK intake
Did you end up using that extension on your intake or did you have to take it off?
Old 02-07-08, 09:47 AM
st3v3rrino
Driver School Candidate

I have a Gs300 99" would that make a significant difference between getting a SRT or K&N intake?
Old 02-07-08, 09:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

K&N doesn't make any intake system for the GS300.
Old 02-07-08, 09:59 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Did you end up using that extension on your intake or did you have to take it off?
Yes, unfortunately I started to get the P0171 CEL (lean condition). I spoke to several people and they mentioned that the Neo is only correcting fuel at WOT...everything else (part throttle), it cannot compensate for the amount of ram air that is coming in through the fog light hole. I guess SRT's piggyback computer somehow adjusts A/F ratios on BOTH part and WOT. In order for one to be able to utilize a larger intake pipe and/or re-route to colder (and perhaps ram air) air you would need a standalone EMS that can adjust A/F settings at all throttle positions in order to not throw a lean code. I put it back to the standard K&N intake form and the car still feels great! but wish I could utilize my DIY cold/ram air setup.
Old 02-07-08, 03:21 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

So you removed it before you strapped the car on the dyno? What did the dyno tech say? Did you ask him if he could correct it? I thought the NEO corrected A/F ratio according to RPMs, WOT or not. It does not make sense, since there are many people on boost and are only correcting fuel using A/F controllers.
Old 02-07-08, 03:47 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by st3v3rrino
I have a Gs300 99" would that make a significant difference between getting a SRT or K&N intake?
there's quite some diff between those 2. unfortunately for us I6's, k&n only makes the drop-in for us; which is what i have. if u seriously want performance, then look to invest...the way i see it, it's just a filter. the srt advertises some hefty gains, but i personally wont drop that kind of $$$ for an intake in CA...srt isnt CARB legal. GL!
Old 02-07-08, 05:31 PM
pimplux808
Pole Position

i use a K&N drop in filter.....98 gs400

i was hearing all this "MUMBO JUMBO" about better MPG so i thought i'd give it a try.........i honestly thought it was B.S

let me tell you, it really did improve my MPG , i thought it wouldnt be that much of a difference but it was.....re-oiling the filter is a ****** =)
Old 02-08-08, 05:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

So you removed it before you strapped the car on the dyno? What did the dyno tech say? Did you ask him if he could correct it? I thought the NEO corrected A/F ratio according to RPMs, WOT or not. It does not make sense, since there are many people on boost and are only correcting fuel using A/F controllers.
I know this does not make sense, I agree...

No, I dyno'd the car WITH the intake extension. Since we had to disconnect the neg battery terminal in order to connect the Neo I did not get a CEL at all for the first couple of hours (while on the dyno). However, I did mention this notion to the tech about the CEL when I previously added the extension; he assured that tuning the Neo "should" correct the CEL lean issue. On the drive home I got the damn CEL and brought it back to him...needless to say, he was dumbfounded. He suggested he could add more fuel or adjust the low (part throttle) to "try" to get rid of this CEL; still he was unsure. So, I told him I would check with a mechanic and see if one of my O2 sensors or MAF is bad. I called some shops and all said the same thing, I am adding more fuel to match the increased air which is fine but they told me that the Neo "probably" isn't allowing the MAF to read/monitor the increased air. The thing that really gets me is that I took the extension off just 2 days ago and reset everything (pulled ECU-b fuse and unplugged neg batt. terminal) and have driven the car all different styles (from agressive to mild) and have not been able to get the CEL. I WISH I could make this damn extension work because I KNOW a lot more colder air is coming in and I cannot even utilize it! Is is "possible" that one of my O2 sensors or my MAF is on it's way out and causing this? It is definitely due to something with this extension, there are no cracks in the extension pipe and the rubber connecting piece was secured. The MAF seal is good BTW. I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Could it be that my car STILL needs more fuel?
Could my O2 or MAF sensor be on it's way out?
Could I still be popping this check engine code as we speak without it lighting up on my dash? If so then it might not be from the extension, it might be just a bad O2 or MAF.

Please help someone!!!
Old 02-08-08, 03:32 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

I know this does not make sense, I agree...

No, I dyno'd the car WITH the intake extension. Since we had to disconnect the neg battery terminal in order to connect the Neo I did not get a CEL at all for the first couple of hours (while on the dyno). However, I did mention this notion to the tech about the CEL when I previously added the extension; he assured that tuning the Neo "should" correct the CEL lean issue. On the drive home I got the damn CEL and brought it back to him...needless to say, he was dumbfounded. He suggested he could add more fuel or adjust the low (part throttle) to "try" to get rid of this CEL; still he was unsure. So, I told him I would check with a mechanic and see if one of my O2 sensors or MAF is bad. I called some shops and all said the same thing, I am adding more fuel to match the increased air which is fine but they told me that the Neo "probably" isn't allowing the MAF to read/monitor the increased air. The thing that really gets me is that I took the extension off just 2 days ago and reset everything (pulled ECU-b fuse and unplugged neg batt. terminal) and have driven the car all different styles (from agressive to mild) and have not been able to get the CEL. I WISH I could make this damn extension work because I KNOW a lot more colder air is coming in and I cannot even utilize it! Is is "possible" that one of my O2 sensors or my MAF is on it's way out and causing this? It is definitely due to something with this extension, there are no cracks in the extension pipe and the rubber connecting piece was secured. The MAF seal is good BTW. I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Could it be that my car STILL needs more fuel?
Could my O2 or MAF sensor be on it's way out?
Could I still be popping this check engine code as we speak without it lighting up on my dash? If so then it might not be from the extension, it might be just a bad O2 or MAF.

Please help someone!!!
What was the code? Did you get A/F ration reading with cel?
Now I wonder if my neo will work with my srt intake? (minus srt ecu ofcourse)
Did they use A/F readings through the tail pipe, like when you smog the car? This question might not make sense, I don't know if you guys smog in NY.

I remember when you first installed the extension a while back, how long did the car run with the extension and no light back then?

How about just running out side air into your box? It won't be like you had it, but you would still be getting some cold air to the intake.
Old 02-11-08, 05:38 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

What was the code? Did you get A/F ration reading with cel?
Now I wonder if my neo will work with my srt intake? (minus srt ecu ofcourse)
Did they use A/F readings through the tail pipe, like when you smog the car? This question might not make sense, I don't know if you guys smog in NY.

I remember when you first installed the extension a while back, how long did the car run with the extension and no light back then?

How about just running out side air into your box? It won't be like you had it, but you would still be getting some cold air to the intake.
I think they used the A/F readings through the tail pipe...they put something way into the tail pipe (a wideband O2).

The same as this time, maybe for about a couple of days...I kept it on though for about another month with the CEL on and finally I got sick of seeing the stupid dash light and removed the extension and re-set everything. I then was running the regular K&N intake and made that cold air box (you probably from an old post of mine), and used that for almost a year.

I was thinking about running out side air into the cold air box, i might try it.
Old 02-11-08, 03:40 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Do you know what was your A/F ratio with the cel?
Old 02-12-08, 05:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I am going to get the A/F sheets e-mailed to me today, I will post them up when I get them.