Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HPS Intake Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 05:23 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPS Intake Dyno Results

Here is the dyno results compared to the stock run

tested on a dynapack
Old 02-19-08, 09:16 PM
phil9892
Driver

Not bad. Got any Videos?
Old 02-19-08, 09:52 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at last some dyno test from HPS!!! any video?? i want to hear how it sounds when the car is running...
Old 02-20-08, 06:47 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i'm no dyno expert but i wonder why they tested them differently? look at the starting points
Old 02-20-08, 07:08 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Intake dyno tests are pretty pointless, but this looks even less significant due to it being tested on the manufacturer's own dyno.
Old 02-20-08, 04:14 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sd-FkQwEkI

that's when the intake is on, but not on the dyno

this dyno was tested at the HPS facility using a Dynapack.. dyno numbers may be different, but the gain is there..
Old 02-20-08, 04:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
dyno numbers may be different, but the gain is there..
... when the hood is up with fans blowing on it?
Old 02-20-08, 04:27 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

of course that may be different, but they also considered the map temperature and air temp.. fan blowing is the same as the car driving.. there's still an air vent that has air coming through.. obviously in order to keep the engine from overheating, hood has to be up..
Old 02-20-08, 05:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
of course that may be different, but they also considered the map temperature and air temp.. fan blowing is the same as the car driving.. there's still an air vent that has air coming through.. obviously in order to keep the engine from overheating, hood has to be up..
You don't understand. The OEM intake is a cold air ntake that pulls air from in front of the radiator while the car is moving. All aftermarket intakes pull in air from inside the engine compartment, which is MUCH hotter with the hood closed since it has to pass throught the radiator.

On a nit-pick note, there is no "map temperature". The dyno was only adjusting for ambient temperature for the SAE correction. Real world results will be much worse than this. The common consensus is that all aftermarket (short ram / hot air) intakes actually reduce power for the ISX50.
Old 02-21-08, 11:26 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

i understand where you are going.. i understand that the stock box will give a better performance than the short ram intakes and i have nothing against what you say...

i'm only putting up the results of this intake through the dynapack..
Old 02-21-08, 11:46 AM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
You don't understand. The OEM intake is a cold air ntake that pulls air from in front of the radiator while the car is moving. All aftermarket intakes pull in air from inside the engine compartment, which is MUCH hotter with the hood closed since it has to pass throught the radiator.

On a nit-pick note, there is no "map temperature". The dyno was only adjusting for ambient temperature for the SAE correction. Real world results will be much worse than this. The common consensus is that all aftermarket (short ram / hot air) intakes actually reduce power for the ISX50.
I know there has been a lot of discussion about this, but it always seems to be that they reduce power on the (ISX50). Basically then ever since the existance of the short ram intake if what you are saying is true then they have robbed power on every vehicle they have ever been put in. If they were so bad I think that K&N and all the other companies would have discontinued them years ago. I know that if the car has been sitting idling for some time that the initial burst of air that goes in the intake will be hotter, but as soon as you start moving that air is out, and fresh air has to have moved in. I dont think it is that much difference, and even so, most leave the stock intake tube that sucks the cold air from the front of the radiator while the short ram is installed. Of course it will not be as effective as with the stock sealed box setup, but that cool air is not passing through the radiator, and is (at least on mine) sitting flush next to my air filter. So I do not think that while while driving at any speed above 20 mph you are getting MUCH hotter air into your intake, and loosing as a dramatically amount of power as some people seem to believe. I just have not seen any loss in power from my INJEN. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-21-08, 01:04 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You're losing maybe 3-5 hp, nothing anyone could possibly "notice" in casual driving. Doesn't make the loss not exist though.

Short rams can show gains on vehicles that otherwise have crappy/restrictive stock intakes... the ISx50 just isn't such a vehicle.
Old 02-21-08, 03:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

^^Nail meet hammer. This is the truth.
Old 02-21-08, 03:47 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

so even having the K&N intake makes the IS350 loses power?
Old 02-22-08, 06:33 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dblockjr
... If they were so bad I think that K&N and all the other companies would have discontinued them years ago....
No company would discontinue a product that makes good profit. K&N doesn't produce intakes or filters because they improve performance. They produce them because people buy them.

Quick Reply: HPS Intake Dyno Results