Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another 3.76 LSD INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 04:46 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGS
For those that have had their 3.76 LSDs for a while, did you ever have to replace it? How many miles can you put on one? How durable is it?
I bought mine new back in Dec 04 from Rod Millen and have 40K trouble free miles on it. I change the gear lube every 15K. This part will last longer than the rest of my car
Old 02-21-08, 08:01 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on new rear end.

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
rear diffs don't go bad!
my stock diff was bad at 21k miles and replaced under warranty. it was humming.
Old 02-22-08, 10:24 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
congrats on new rear end.

my stock diff was bad at 21k miles and replaced under warranty. it was humming.
you're correct some go bad.......but VERY FEW! it's one of the most dependable parts on your car!
Old 02-26-08, 11:20 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason why the 430 goes bad is because the front pinion seal is a known fault in these rear ends. I'm waiting on getting a 3.76, so i am just adding fluid every few thousand miles just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-26-08, 12:24 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was looking to do the same. Can I just change the center part of the differential. Not the entire thing?
Old 02-26-08, 08:43 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
After a few days of driving I have noticed this......this is by far the 2nd best mod I've done so far! The best was BBK! I found out what the poping noise was.......I put it in without putting the top bushing on the front of the pumpkin...... it was creating a small vibration which is all now gone! Luckly all I had to do was take the front two bolts out and slide in the bushings! AWSOME MOD! RECCOMENDED TO EVERYONE! This is how our cars should have come from the factory!
awesome Hopefully I can get my hands on a Poopura or LS brakes this year.
how's the gas mileage? any noticeable change at all?
Old 02-26-08, 09:20 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

guys, there is someone local to me selling a torsen type lsd. According to his description its a helical (torsion) limited-slip differential for MKIII Toyota Supras. These were not available for the US MKIIIs and I believe they only came in the JZA70 MKIIIs. Its not the entire pumpkin but just the internals. Will this work in our stock rear ends if I swap them out? Is this the same gear ratio as the 3.76 ??

Old 02-27-08, 06:40 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

that should work.....but I would take it to a shop that really knows their rears(if you know what I mean) just to make sure. There is a thread somewhere I just can not find it at the moment, but It's a DIY about how to do just this type of install for cheaper than buying the whole pumpkin! I know you need a press to get them in there correctly! GL with that! I didn't want to go that route bc when I want to sell my ride it's easier to remove the whole pumpkin!

Have noticed a small difference in mileage.........maybe it's because I have been keeping my right foot on the floor! most say it's about a 2-3mpg difference. well worth it in my opinion!
Old 02-27-08, 08:15 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

well the install im not worried about, I just want to make sure its the right kind of lsd and that it will work in our stock pumpkin. Also how do you determine the ratio? The seller does have a part number off of the lsd unit if that helps in anyway.
Old 02-29-08, 01:57 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
guys, there is someone local to me selling a torsen type lsd. According to his description its a helical (torsion) limited-slip differential for MKIII Toyota Supras. These were not available for the US MKIIIs and I believe they only came in the JZA70 MKIIIs. Its not the entire pumpkin but just the internals. Will this work in our stock rear ends if I swap them out? Is this the same gear ratio as the 3.76 ??

There is no ring on that differential. That is just a differential with no gears. If it would work you would either re-use your gears or purchase a new ring and pinion.
Old 02-29-08, 09:36 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
There is no ring on that differential. That is just a differential with no gears. If it would work you would either re-use your gears or purchase a new ring and pinion.
that's just the LSD. I don't know if it fits, but if it's the same as mkiv tt auto, then yes it will.
Old 03-10-08, 01:30 PM
puz pounda
Driver School Candidate

I used to own a mk3 supra and I'm pretty sure it won't fit due to the axles having a different spline gear on them. I remember a supraforums member did the swap and added a mk4 supra diff to his car & he had to have custom axles made consisting of mk3 & mk4 axles. It will fit in your diff case but you too will have to have custom axles. You may also want to check the supra forums for yourself I do recall those torsen diffs wich only were available on jdm jza70 supras are not that reliable under high horsepower applications. I personally just go with the mk4 diff plenty of members have driving on them.
Old 03-10-08, 11:22 PM
Neo300
Lead Lap

Is it worth putting in this same LSD and 3.76 gearing in to a GS300, or is it more beneficial for a 400-430?
Old 03-11-08, 03:12 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he just re-uses the pinion gear won't his ratio remain 3.27. Just like the TRD LSD the ratio stays the same.
Old 03-11-08, 06:02 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo300
Is it worth putting in this same LSD and 3.76 gearing in to a GS300, or is it more beneficial for a 400-430?
No, it will not help a GS300 as far as acceleration goes. The GS300 comes with a 3.92 rear...so it will actually make your car slightly slower in fact! You will benefit from the LSD though because it gives better traction if you are already having problems with traction due to having big power. If your GS300 is stock and is NOT boosted then the 3.76 LSD will not be good for you all around.

Quick Reply: Another 3.76 LSD INSTALLED!