Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking about a GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 06:40 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a GS

I have owned two LS400, One SC300 and one SC400. I am seriously considering getting an older GS400 and stroke it to 5.2L and run it N/A. I put a 4.7L (Low compression) in my SC400 and its a beast. It jumped about 45 rwhp in hp and lot more in rw tq. With 5.2L and high compression going to be a very nice daily driver. SS headers and Cams will make this GS scream.
Old 02-25-08, 07:35 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

sounds like a plan!! can't wait to see how it goes! Keep us posted often with many pics!!!
Old 02-25-08, 08:43 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that thing would be a monster !!
Old 02-25-08, 09:16 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Here is a little vid from my current setup.

Accelerate from a dead stop

Imagine the setup is 5.2 with high compression, cams and exhaust.... WOW WOW.... WOW>... I just think the GS is damn sexy.... LS was great but the image is too mature....

Last edited by Lextreme; 02-25-08 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 12:22 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were are you getting cams from?
Old 03-06-08, 10:23 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

that would be insane. i agree with the GS having a more sportier body. if and when you get it done clock the 0-60 and quarter mile!!
Old 03-07-08, 05:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
I have owned two LS400, One SC300 and one SC400. I am seriously considering getting an older GS400 and stroke it to 5.2L and run it N/A. I put a 4.7L (Low compression) in my SC400 and its a beast. It jumped about 45 rwhp in hp and lot more in rw tq. With 5.2L and high compression going to be a very nice daily driver. SS headers and Cams will make this GS scream.
+1...I have been thinking of doing this for quite some time now. If I cannot find a supercharger in the next 1-2 years I will definitely go this route. I am NOT mechanically inclined enough to do this job so I will have a shop do it all. It will be a nice and reliable power mod for sure! How much do you think something like this will cost? Start to finish incl. labor???
Old 03-07-08, 05:53 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

As for me I need to allocate my budget about $6,000 for the motor and about another K for the cams. I also need to reserve some money for the installation of the engine. In my area I can get it done for about $500 (In and Out). So that is my budget right now. However, I would also need a piggyback to fine tune it. Money been tight, so I am slowly saving up for this. I also have another twin turbo project currently so time and money need to be carefully plan. Here is a picture of my stroker crank.

And here is picture of my crank with custom rod:

I am pretty confident with this combo my FUTURE GS will out run the new GS.
Old 03-07-08, 08:49 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

As for me I need to allocate my budget about $6,000 for the motor and about another K for the cams. I also need to reserve some money for the installation of the engine. In my area I can get it done for about $500 (In and Out). So that is my budget right now. However, I would also need a piggyback to fine tune it. Money been tight, so I am slowly saving up for this. I also have another twin turbo project currently so time and money need to be carefully plan. Here is a picture of my stroker crank.

Of course your new GS with outrun the '08+ GS'. Heck, my GS with my mods will give a new GS350 a run for it's money. If I get those damn headers and stop spinning my rears like an SOB then it will be all over for the new GS. GL. Oh, BTW why would you need and engine management sys. for this setup... it's going to be all motor right? I though EMS is only needed for boost?
Old 03-07-08, 09:19 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Oh, BTW why would you need and engine management sys. for this setup... it's going to be all motor right? I though EMS is only needed for boost?
Not sure why my pictures didnt come out. Anyway, I will need a piggyback to alter Air/Fuel due to aggressive cams and increase cubic from 4.0L to 5.2L. All modern EFI engine need EMS. NA or FI. The question is why type and why. Therefore, EMS is NOT only for FI application.
Old 03-07-08, 01:15 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I understand now...thanks. GL with the project! If a stock GS400 has around 235-240whp what #'s do you think you could reach with all this work and no other work? Maybe 280-290??? Add a crap load of bolt-ons (Intake, exhaust, headers, SAFC/Neo) and you will be pushing 325+whp (~400hp @ the crank)....reliable NA!!! Awesome!
Old 03-07-08, 04:24 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I really dont have any objective data at this time. Couple things about the GS400 that is good. It has very high flow heads. I have a friend with the Mustang 5.0 heads from AFR compare to the VVTi 4.0. The 4.0 flows better then aftermarket Mustang heads. So that really tell u something. If i have to take a rough guess on this. Here is the break down:

Increase Stroke: 30-45 rwhp
Cams: 30-35 rwhp
Increase compression: 20-25 rwhp
Tuning: 10-15 rwhp

Conservatively speaking around 100 rwhp gain is possible and torque will be massive from idle to redline. I would think torque be around 150 rwhp additional to stock and very street friendly too. So i gotta save up....
Old 03-07-08, 05:19 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

GL on the GS project man. keep us posted, i am very interested in following your progress with this one.

have you upgraded any of the internal engine components in the 5.2 stroker in your 95 LS??
Old 03-08-08, 01:36 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what I am to understand is you are going to come out with some cams that no one has made. Bore the engine and some how tune it which I havent seen anyone do. And you are going to do this because you think you know some stuff about the V8 vvti lex.
From what i know no one other than the most professional ppl have done it in the last 10 yrs?
I hate to be negative but the GS 400 is alot different than the older projects you have worked on in the past. You cant just walk up to this engine acting like its the same as the old 1uz....
OOO and your going to do all of this on a budget to.... sorry if I cant see this happening. I hope you succeed but I remain skeptical. GL

Last edited by evil00017; 03-09-08 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 12:43 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at your previous projects, it sound like somethng that you can make happen.
Can't wait finally see a stroker on the GS

Quick Reply: Thinking about a GS