Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How much louder is your Tanabe Medallion over the stock exhaust!?
Good lord, it's really loud.
4.29%
Three times as loud.
7.14%
Twice as loud.
68.57%
Same level as stock.
15.71%
Actually, it's quieter.
4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Rate the loudness of your Tanabe Medallion exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 09:52 AM
inrainbows
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate the loudness of your Tanabe Medallion exhaust

Thinking about dropping some funds in the near future for a Tanabe Medallion exhaust. I love the reviews I've read. Unfortunately, I don't want to **** the wife off. I think she'll hate it if it's too loud or ricey. How much louder is it, if at all, than stock? What is the tip diameter difference from stock?
Old 02-26-08, 10:00 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you heard the exhaust from the G35C before? It's about the same as that except it's deeper. You can only hear it when you're under 3500 rpms...
Old 02-26-08, 10:03 AM
RSolution
Driver School Candidate

I'm very pleased with the exhaust.. At idle it almost sounds stock, but slightly deeper tone... when accelerating.. its a very nice low tone to it .. but it doesn't drone or sound like crap.. The tip diameter is slightly larger than stock but looks proportionate to the exhaust cutouts on the rear bumper.. I would recommend it
Old 02-26-08, 10:43 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

twice as loud, you will hear it on start up! has a nice tone to it

driving it sometimes its about the same as stock. when you step on it you will hear it. its a nice sports exhaust IMO. not too much or too little. it also looks perfect with the cut outs of the rear bumper.

very pleased. Luis at Carson was great to deal with!! fast service and very informative. Check them out in the vendor section.
Old 02-26-08, 11:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
twice as loud, you will hear it on start up! has a nice tone to it

driving it sometimes its about the same as stock. when you step on it you will hear it. its a nice sports exhaust IMO. not too much or too little. it also looks perfect with the cut outs of the rear bumper.

Ditto!
Old 02-26-08, 11:23 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Truely love the exhaust. Well built. when i first installed it i didnt think it was loud enough, but Its perfect IMO now. deep and sexy JoeZ takes over at 3500rpms
Old 02-26-08, 01:16 PM
tshek
Pole Position

i voted for twice as loud.. but when the stock loudness is 0... 0x2=0... so...
Old 02-26-08, 01:22 PM
TangoC
Driver School Candidate

It's rated below 93 Dba so it can't be twice as loud. I didn't really notice too much of a difference from inside the car but people have said how sweet it sounds.
I drove the car in an underground car park recently and had the window down to take the ticket....the sound coming back off the walls was amazing...love it.

Last edited by TangoC; 02-26-08 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-08, 03:11 PM
Jenomic
Driver

getting mine installed saturday! cant wait!
Old 02-26-08, 04:04 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

How is it on the freeway? Im seriously considering it, however I do a lot of freeway driving at 70mph+ and really dont want to listen to an exhaust note drone for 2 hours a day.
Old 02-26-08, 05:58 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoC
It's rated below 93 Dba so it can't be twice as loud. I didn't really notice too much of a difference from inside the car but people have said how sweet it sounds.
I drove the car in an underground car park recently and had the window down to take the ticket....the sound coming back off the walls was amazing...love it.
if it's rated at 93db, then what's stock? Anyone know?
Old 02-26-08, 06:49 PM
tshek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shortbus19
How is it on the freeway? Im seriously considering it, however I do a lot of freeway driving at 70mph+ and really dont want to listen to an exhaust note drone for 2 hours a day.
you will only able to hear it when you speed up, when you cruising, it's just like stock.
Old 02-26-08, 07:39 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its definately louder than stock, its not annoying but cruising at 80-95mph youll here it in the background. the only thing heard while driving stock was the tires to the road.. with the tanabe you hear a a pleasant hum
Old 02-26-08, 08:48 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted for twice as loud. Doubling the loudness does not equal to double the decibles, I believe Tanabe said increasing the decibles by 3 db's is equal to double the loudness. Anyways, I love the looks of the exhaust, especially the tips. The sound is great, very similar to a 350z or g35, but a little deeper. I agree with rsolution and passnu2, during idle and light cruise, it's a little louder and deeper and very close to stock, but once you lay on it you'll know this is no longer a stock exhaust. The nice thing is once you go past 3300 rpms you hear more motor or intake and less exhaust. not like a honda whose exhaust gets louder and louder as you reach higher rpm's.
Old 02-26-08, 09:56 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tshek
you will only able to hear it when you speed up, when you cruising, it's just like stock.

Just what I was hoping to hear. Looks like a Tanabe is in my near future. I had a 350Z with a Nismo exhaust on it and sounded "the sex". Im hoping to do the same with the IS just a little quieter.

Quick Reply: Rate the loudness of your Tanabe Medallion exhaust