Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Challenge- quietest exhaust w/ best performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 11:22 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Changing exhaust will change sound but not give you any power gains worth the worry.

Sorry.
Old 03-20-08, 01:50 PM
jbw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do most others here agree with JBrady's comment? I'm not doing the mod for sound purposes, strictly to gain some added performamce with my TOM's filter.
Old 03-20-08, 02:14 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't gain that much messing around with the exhaust. Exhaust only gains horsepower when you add it with other supporting mods. If you want increased performance without sound increase, look into a cam gear and or fuel management, like an safc.
Old 03-20-08, 02:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jbw
Do most others here agree with JBrady's comment? I'm not doing the mod for sound purposes, strictly to gain some added performamce with my TOM's filter.
If they're just axle backs, then you're not going to get anything. 1-2whp at most. There are no true full catbacks for our cars. The closest thing we get is a setup that replaces the OEM resonator with a straight pipe, but the resonator isn't even that restricting.

For $600, you get headers that WILL GAIN power throughout the revband. A $600 exhaust system is mostly get you sound with no performance gain.
Old 03-20-08, 02:26 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
If they're just axle backs, then you're not going to get anything. 1-2whp at most. There are no true full catbacks for our cars. The closest thing we get is a setup that replaces the OEM resonator with a straight pipe, but the resonator isn't even that restricting.

For $600, you get headers that WILL GAIN power throughout the revband. A $600 exhaust system is mostly get you sound with no performance gain.
Yep, if you don't mind a mild sound increase, the bolt on that will give you the biggest difference is a header. You can even leave the stock catback exhaust so it can be as quiet as possible. Also consider a Joez intake, it works like the PLP intake. It is a tube that connects from the TB to the stock intake box. It is really quiet also, and it will work with your TOMS filter.
Old 03-20-08, 09:12 PM
jbw
Driver

OK....I think I've got my answer; many thanks for the input. Will probably get a Joe Z intake and then follow later with headers. Does the Joe Z fit a GS3? I saw their applications only being for IS models.
Old 03-21-08, 01:23 AM
VFORCE08
Driver

Hi;
Who Is Joe Z
I can't find there web page...
Old 03-21-08, 07:25 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

GSteg, are you talking about the Mazzuri Super headers? Those seem to be the best performing and are on sale with a Y pipe for $600. I have seen headers for the 2JZ-GE for less but these are the way I would go. Power increase is reported at 24rwhp and 28rwtq which is VERY impressive if accurate as the stock system does not look that restrictive (unlike the GS400 and 430s)

Now this does delete the primary cats so emissions legalilty is out the window.

I cannot comment on durability and have no first hand experience with them. I did talk to the owner a year or more ago and he seemed to be a good guy. I cannot confirm the power increase OR the way the car feels in the low and mid RPM ranges which is something I always preach because these are STREET cars we drive and most of the time the engine is in the low to mid RPMs.
Old 03-21-08, 08:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, I'm talking about the Mazzuri headers. To be honest, it's the only headers worth buying for the GS300 if I were to ever take the NA route. 24whp is definitely impressive, since the 2jz-ge isn't known to make great power off of NA mods. I think I've seen a few dyno of guys with the Mazzuri headers and they do seem to make their claimed power.
Old 03-21-08, 10:26 AM
jbw
Driver

I just talked to L-Tuned and they said the Joe Z intakes they have will NOT fit a second gen GS300. However, they are going to ask Joe Z if he could and would make one. I should hear back by Monday.
Old 03-21-08, 11:33 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Oh I thought I saw a thread that said the JoeZ intake did fit the GS300s . Maybe it was the other way around. About the mazzuri header, yes go with this header. Even when I'm driving around normal, I can feel the smoother acceleration from a stop. It is effortless. When you are passing, forget it, a light tap on the accelerator and you are gone.

BTW, I have a hi flow cat on the y-pipe to help with the noise and most of all, so my car will not smell like rotten eggs.
Old 03-21-08, 05:24 PM
VFORCE08
Driver

Default Joe Z

Hi:

Can some one tell me who's Joe Z and how to find his products..

THANKS