Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lextreme GS430 Owners inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 03:46 PM
shawnberry
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lextreme GS430 Owners inside!!!

Im trying to find some Lextreme TC owners that have a GS430, According to Lextreme thier torque converter doesnt give off a CEL light like the precision industries does. Anyone here have one of these converter's?
Old 03-17-08, 05:42 PM
SCmist
Rookie

Its been over 2 years since I had a lextreme tc in my sc400. I'm not sure if there is a revision or upgrade to the one before, but mine seem to worn out in less than half of year. It makes sense since its a stock TC that reworked.
Old 03-17-08, 08:25 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCmist
Its been over 2 years since I had a lextreme tc in my sc400. I'm not sure if there is a revision or upgrade to the one before, but mine seem to worn out in less than half of year. It makes sense since its a stock TC that reworked.
worn out can you explain, I don't get what you mean?
Old 03-18-08, 10:18 AM
SCmist
Rookie

The TC from Lextreme are stock ones that are opened up and reworked to a higher stall. Kind of like "stock cams regrinds" where they weld on more material to the lobe and "rework" them to the custom lift and durations you choose. Over time, they get worn out. Its not the same as having a one piece billet core to start out with. If you have one, I'm sure you will feel the difference as I did.

I don't know if the Lextreme TX are built the same way anymore, since I been out of the lexus scene for some time now. This is not a bashing on their product either. Its a couple hundred vs. close to a grand for a aftermarket precision, etc. It would be a different post if they tried to charge the same price as the aftermarket stuff. You get what you paid for.
Old 03-18-08, 10:28 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, when you run such a high stall torque convertor, you run the risk of more heat and wear. Stick with your stock TC, go with lower rear gears..
Old 03-18-08, 03:08 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCmist
The TC from Lextreme are stock ones that are opened up and reworked to a higher stall. Kind of like "stock cams regrinds" where they weld on more material to the lobe and "rework" them to the custom lift and durations you choose. Over time, they get worn out. Its not the same as having a one piece billet core to start out with. If you have one, I'm sure you will feel the difference as I did.

I don't know if the Lextreme TX are built the same way anymore, since I been out of the lexus scene for some time now. This is not a bashing on their product either. Its a couple hundred vs. close to a grand for a aftermarket precision, etc. It would be a different post if they tried to charge the same price as the aftermarket stuff. You get what you paid for.
Ok, but you can't see that it is actually worn, so my question is what was the difference from new to 6 months? How did the car change from stock to the lextreme tc and after 6 months?
Old 03-18-08, 03:56 PM
SCmist
Rookie

Hmmm lets see... The car felt great with the TC upgrade, did what every other owner experience with a TC upgrade. Then it felt like...stock again. It was worth it for the time I enjoyed my car. Lextreme does offer a warranty on it, but it wasn't really worth it to me spend another couple hundred buck to remove and have it installed again. By time you add everything up, you could have bought a name brand one. You know, even stock ones wear out and you don't need to see pictures to know it. Its a wear part. What could you do?
Old 03-18-08, 05:22 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

I was trying to see what symptoms you got that gave you the idea that it was the tc and not something else. What stall speed did your tc have? what was the stall speed after six months? When was the last time you serviced your trans? Have you checked your compression? When was the last time you changed your plugs? Did you have your car checked out when you noticed the issues? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to meke sure that all other possible causes were eliminated?
Old 03-18-08, 07:08 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...........

I have the dragon tc on my 02 430. It's been about 2 years now, and no cel. Great mod
Old 03-19-08, 03:20 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One person that comes to mind is Pearlpower, I know about a year ago he installed a Lextreme TC on his SC430. I don't think he got a CEL.
I don't know if he still has it.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 03-21-08 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 01:26 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I also have this TQ on my sc430. 6 months and no CEL .
Old 03-20-08, 01:51 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GammaLex
I also have this TQ on my sc430. 6 months and no CEL .
lextreme or PI Dragon?????????
Old 03-20-08, 08:24 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry the Lextreme
Old 03-21-08, 06:21 PM
shawnberry
Pole Position

2800 isnt a high stall speed at all....besides most people run a transcooler.

lower gears??? dude you got it backwards... im not going to give up my top end for low end. doing sixty mph in high rpm because I put in lower gears isnt what im looking for.

anyone else?

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Yeah, when you run such a high stall torque convertor, you run the risk of more heat and wear. Stick with your stock TC, go with lower rear gears..
Old 03-21-08, 10:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

2800 rpm is considered a high stall speed for our V8s. It's practically almost half of our bandwidth anyways. Anymore of that and then you run into the risk of diminishing returns. Then again, anything is considered high stall when compared to the 1800rpm unit I think someone said that if you run a 2600rpm stall, you wont get a CEL. 2800 might be too high for what the car wants to recognize. There aren't too many GS430 owners with an aftermarket torque converter.

Quick Reply: Lextreme GS430 Owners inside!!!