Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe exhaust owners, please chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 06:12 PM
sblue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe exhaust owners, please chime in...

I just had my exhaust installed today, and i like the loudness of the exhaust not to loud and not to quite. I'm just wondering if it has a break in period as far as the not goes? i've driven about 20 miles so far with it on and from a start to about 50 i cant hear a note just a hummm? doesn't sound quite refined like i thought or have heard on youtube? Do you guy's with tanabe noticed the same thing when first installed? and if you had it for a while now does it home from a start on normal acceleration? thankyou guys in advance!
Old 03-20-08, 06:20 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

heard that there's a break-in period. I think the exhaust sound will get louder as more miles are put in.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 03-20-08, 07:16 PM
sblue
Rookie

I was thinking the same note as a 350z/g35? love the way there stock exhaust sounds. havent been in one so not sure how the sound from in the cabin is? maybe i need someone to do a driveby in my car while i listen to the note?
Old 03-20-08, 07:19 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

its noticable to me, but its not really that loud only between 1-3k rpms
Old 03-20-08, 08:09 PM
sblue
Rookie

This is the note i'm talking about in this clip at 29-31 sec. and 39-41 sec. the whirl sound is so awesome! does'nt quite sound like that from inside the car, like i said more of a humm? we'll see as i pile on the miles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZzg55ymIjg

Last edited by sblue; 03-20-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:16 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

yes there is a break in period. have mine for about a year now and its deffinately gotten louder. but its still a quiet exhaust. then again since i have an intake also, mine should be louder then if you only had an exhaust.
Old 03-20-08, 08:25 PM
BLITZ123
Driver School Candidate

Default Tanabe

Yes, there is a breakin period. Give it time, it will start to humm nicely every time you rev the engine.
Old 03-23-08, 09:18 PM
since5oh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i noticed that when the car is hot (long drive) and/or when it's hot outside, the tanabe gets louder. i drove to las vegas last summer and the noise was annoying.
Old 03-23-08, 09:42 PM
sblue
Rookie

I got about 50 miles on the tanabe and the sound has gotten a bit louder. (still totally tolerable). From a dig pedal to the floor it sounds awesome, it's just that normal load driving up to 50+ that it has a non refined humm? Overall though totally enjoy it as i drive fast all the time anyways
Old 03-23-08, 11:08 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

How about cruising between 60 and 80 MPH? I would rather not get this if it's going to have a drone at these speeds, as that is what I typically do on the highway.

WOT is not my concern, as I'm sure it's gonna sound awesome...my thing would be the drone (or hum) you hear between highway cruising speeds.
Old 03-23-08, 11:16 PM
sblue
Rookie

Originally Posted by myculito
How about cruising between 60 and 80 MPH? I would rather not get this if it's going to have a drone at these speeds, as that is what I typically do on the highway.

WOT is not my concern, as I'm sure it's gonna sound awesome...my thing would be the drone (or hum) you hear between highway cruising speeds.

When cruising at highway speeds 60+ you dont hear anything just when you mash the gas.. the more i drive the car the more i like this exhaust. it grows on you and the sound does get better and better.
Old 03-23-08, 11:21 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by since5oh
i noticed that when the car is hot (long drive) and/or when it's hot outside, the tanabe gets louder. i drove to las vegas last summer and the noise was annoying.
lol i've noticed when ur car is extremely cold. the start up sounds like a dream. im sad only im there to hear it, but every morning i start it up its like music to my ears. you only get 1 shot at it a day but it sounds like a beaute. and ya def a break in, i think 500 miles is pretty safe, once i broke that i started to get alot better sound and i wouldnt trade it for any thing now. except llama keeps telling me how bora's sound =/
Old 03-23-08, 11:58 PM
sblue
Rookie

Originally Posted by weesped
lol i've noticed when ur car is extremely cold. the start up sounds like a dream. im sad only im there to hear it, but every morning i start it up its like music to my ears. you only get 1 shot at it a day but it sounds like a beaute. and ya def a break in, i think 500 miles is pretty safe, once i broke that i started to get alot better sound and i wouldnt trade it for any thing now. except llama keeps telling me how bora's sound =/

lol, yeah it does sound pretty sweet when you fire it up from a cold start. "you only get 1 shot at it a day but it sounds like a beaute. " It's the little things in life that bring us joy.lol! It's midnight, my car has been in the garage for 2 days and its cold out. I'ma fire her up right now!! lol
Old 03-24-08, 03:52 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

lololol nice. im usually tired n grumpy in the morning untill i hit start
Old 03-24-08, 04:33 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Oh man, I love the sound of the exhaust in the morning. To answer your question, it definitely sounds better as time goes by. I wouldn't trade it for any other exhaust out there.

Quick Reply: Tanabe exhaust owners, please chime in...