Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got a ride in supercharged GS400...my impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 06:15 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Got a ride in supercharged GS400...my impressions.

Well, as some of you may know I have been looking for a supercharger for my GS4 for the last 2 years. I finally came across a gentleman selling his supercharged GS4 on Long Island. Needless to say I have offered this individual a certain amount of $$$ for him to take the SC off his car and sell it to me separately. Before I wanted to go any further I wanted to take a ride out to check his car out and see how it rode with the SC.

The seller was very nice but the car was a little too "rough around the edges" for a 49K mile GS4. My car was in MUCH better condition. Anyway, he took me for a ride. Before we took off he mentioned that he had 2.6XX" pulleys on it and was hitting around 8psi (so he states). The supercharger is a RMM and had about 25K +/- miles on it. He also had a Haltach FX10 and a UNIchip module (???) for tuning. Upon start-up it sounded good but VERY VERY loud. I mean the supercharger was so loud that I thought there was something wrong with it.

He took off and the car felt very quick NOT as fast as I thought it would. In fact MY car didn't feel that much slower!!!??? I began to inquire about how much it dyno'd @ he mentioned around 320whp!!!??? I was thinking to myself, damn aren't these things supposed to AT LEAST put down 360whp on a GS4XX??? I mean my car put down 270whp and I don't even have headers yet!

He then asked for a ride in my car. So I took him for a ride. He was ASTONISHED on how quick my car was! Eventhough he was supercharged I think his car had issues; his tuning was probably WAY off and just about EVERY CEL was on his dash!!! This made me upset because i didn't know that you will get CELs with a supercharger. He said also that there was NO WAY that his car would pass inspection (emissions); I thought some of you supercharged guys still pass? I'm confused.

I think besides his car NOT running good these are the factors that made my car "feel" comparable to his.

He had:
RMM supercharger (ill-tuned???)
PI TC (2400 stall)
stock 3.26 diff (w/LSD installed)
Exhaust

I have:
PI TC (3000 stall)
3.76 Supra TT LSD
K&N Intake
Exhaust
TM plugs
Tuned Apexi Neo

I'm telling you I couldn't believe his car wasn't as fast as I thought it was going to be...It made me think twice about buying HIS supercharger. I thought maybe perhaps his supercharger could be shot as well..?? Another item against this upgrade is because I forgot that this mod requires a TB upgrade in the tranny. I am sort of against this mod because I heard that it definitely changes the luxury aspect of the car. Even when he was just rolling to a traffic light the supercharger was VERY loud almost obnoxious...not cool.

Questions:

What could have been wrong with his car?

Are all those CELs normal with a standalone EMS?

Can a supercharger be "worn out?"

I have read of supercharged GS4 members using 3.1X" pulleys and getting 360whp what could be wrong with his setup? Maybe his upgraded injectors ar still too small?

I might just try to get those headers and perhaps get an engine shop (with experience w/ toyota/lexus) do some porting and polishing; perhaps check out a stroker kit from Lextreme. We'll see... That was my experience thanks for reading.
Old 03-24-08, 06:27 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may i ask how much you offered him for his setup??
Old 03-24-08, 06:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

My RMM SC in general is quieter than my SRT intake was, and I have no CEL codes. Mine passes emission just fine.

Sounds like he has some problems.

The power of the SC is 'sneaky' and doesn't push you back like you'd expect it to. It feels I guess I'd say... additive to normal accelleration along the same curve but faster.
Old 03-24-08, 08:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My RMM SC in general is quieter than my SRT intake was, and I have no CEL codes. Mine passes emission just fine.

Sounds like he has some problems.

The power of the SC is 'sneaky' and doesn't push you back like you'd expect it to. It feels I guess I'd say... additive to normal accelleration along the same curve but faster.
I figured that you wouldn't have CEL codes and would pass inspection with your setup. I also figured that this setup was noisier than normal. You and your tuner have done it properly; I'm sure of it! I would like a setup like yours...reliable and problem free!

BTW, did you have a VB upgrade done? What standalone EMS are you using? Are you using 440 injectors? What is your pulley size? Sorry for all the questions but interested in how you attained that sweet 389whp figure.
Old 03-24-08, 08:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
BTW, did you have a VB upgrade done? What standalone EMS are you using? Are you using 440 injectors? What is your pulley size? Sorry for all the questions but interested in how you attained that sweet 389whp figure.
Click that link in my signature I need to update the dyno, but should have most of my mods listed
Old 03-24-08, 08:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks! Does SRT have these A/F EMS units available to all or was this a one-off just for you at the time? Thanks again...
Old 03-24-08, 09:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

It was a one-off for me at the time since I had them install and tune it.
Old 03-24-08, 04:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I rode in many SC'ed cars and most of the time, these centrifugal type blowers wont give you a linear increase throughout the revband. If you want instant power right from idle, get yourself a twin-root supercharger.
Old 03-24-08, 06:04 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Just some personal experience as well with a SC'd GS4 vs my GS4 (when it was stock with 3.76 LSD 2400 stall TC and intake)

A buddy of mine had the SRT SC kit and it was kinda tuned. At a stop light he kinda wanted to see what his car could do against an NA'd GS4. (he only had the SC kit no TC and stock gearing). Both of us had 20's and full ICE so it seemed about equal. Long story short, off the line, I got about 1-2 car lengths until 3rd gear, then he started picking up on me fast. Even though he had the SC, it still takes time for the car to rev and "build" psi. His car is fast when we were cruising at 65 and hitting WOT, but under that my car would get a little jump on him every time.

Now with my TT'd setup, stock gearing with LSD, it's no competition.
Old 03-24-08, 06:57 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rock-a-Lex: Your input is much appreciated. I'm really on the fence between a SC and NOS. Your setup is a good example of pulling good power out of the 4.0 n/a. Even if a SC'd 400 dynos 360 at the wheels, that's only 70hp on you. For how often the power is used/needed/whatever, my logic is telling me a NOS kit is a faster/easier install, and considerably more cost-effective. The fact that you were unimpressed by this guy's SC, albiet possibly untuned, is comforting.

I know some guys on this board have huge houses and crazy cars in their garage, but I'm the definition of a middle class, single-income family, and I'm starting to wonder if investing $20,000 into a $15,000 car is smart for my family... The Kiplinger's and Sport Compact Car magazines next to my bed compliment each other like oil and water.
Old 03-25-08, 05:31 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HI98GS
Just some personal experience as well with a SC'd GS4 vs my GS4 (when it was stock with 3.76 LSD 2400 stall TC and intake)

A buddy of mine had the SRT SC kit and it was kinda tuned. At a stop light he kinda wanted to see what his car could do against an NA'd GS4. (he only had the SC kit no TC and stock gearing). Both of us had 20's and full ICE so it seemed about equal. Long story short, off the line, I got about 1-2 car lengths until 3rd gear, then he started picking up on me fast. Even though he had the SC, it still takes time for the car to rev and "build" psi. His car is fast when we were cruising at 65 and hitting WOT, but under that my car would get a little jump on him every time.

Now with my TT'd setup, stock gearing with LSD, it's no competition.
I found your "SC'd GS4 vs my GS4" a very intersting example. Now imagine if your PI TC stall was 3000 instead of 2400 and you had another ~20whp (from my Apexi Neo). It would take him even a little longer to catch up to you. Also, now I'm adding headers.

FI is a beautiful thing but it just goes to show that if you properly mod an N/A GS4XX you can hold your own a little.

What I'm REALLY curious to see is for someone to put brand new super sticky staggered tires (10"+) in the rear (or slicks)...what would a modded N/A GS4 run in the 1/4 mile with VERY minimal wheelspin? It is all about how the power gets put down to the ground (off the line of course). I would LOVE to mash the pedal and only get 1 or less than 1 wheelspin rotation; grab quick and go. I'm sure that would shave A LOT off a 1/4 mile...who knows.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 03-25-08 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 05:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Rock-a-Lex: Your input is much appreciated. I'm really on the fence between a SC and NOS. Your setup is a good example of pulling good power out of the 4.0 n/a. Even if a SC'd 400 dynos 360 at the wheels, that's only 70hp on you. For how often the power is used/needed/whatever, my logic is telling me a NOS kit is a faster/easier install, and considerably more cost-effective. The fact that you were unimpressed by this guy's SC, albiet possibly untuned, is comforting.

I know some guys on this board have huge houses and crazy cars in their garage, but I'm the definition of a middle class, single-income family, and I'm starting to wonder if investing $20,000 into a $15,000 car is smart for my family... The Kiplinger's and Sport Compact Car magazines next to my bed compliment each other like oil and water.
...Amen to that. There are many of us in your shoes...including me. You have to set priorities that's all. These same priorities change drastically as time goes on; usually between the ages of 20 and 30 is the most drastic.
Old 03-25-08, 06:35 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

These same priorities change drastically as time goes on; usually between the ages of 20 and 30 is the most drastic.
nah.....when I was 20 I wanted the most power I could get out of a car.....and now it's the exact same thing at 28!
Old 03-25-08, 07:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, as some of you may know I have been looking for a supercharger for my GS4 for the last 2 years. I finally came across a gentleman selling his supercharged GS4 on Long Island. Needless to say I have offered this individual a certain amount of $$$ for him to take the SC off his car and sell it to me separately. Before I wanted to go any further I wanted to take a ride out to check his car out and see how it rode with the SC.

The seller was very nice but the car was a little too "rough around the edges" for a 49K mile GS4. My car was in MUCH better condition. Anyway, he took me for a ride. Before we took off he mentioned that he had 2.6XX" pulleys on it and was hitting around 8psi (so he states). The supercharger is a RMM and had about 25K +/- miles on it. He also had a Haltach FX10 and a UNIchip module (???) for tuning. Upon start-up it sounded good but VERY VERY loud. I mean the supercharger was so loud that I thought there was something wrong with it.

He took off and the car felt very quick NOT as fast as I thought it would. In fact MY car didn't feel that much slower!!!??? I began to inquire about how much it dyno'd @ he mentioned around 320whp!!!??? I was thinking to myself, damn aren't these things supposed to AT LEAST put down 360whp on a GS4XX??? I mean my car put down 270whp and I don't even have headers yet!

He then asked for a ride in my car. So I took him for a ride. He was ASTONISHED on how quick my car was! Eventhough he was supercharged I think his car had issues; his tuning was probably WAY off and just about EVERY CEL was on his dash!!! This made me upset because i didn't know that you will get CELs with a supercharger. He said also that there was NO WAY that his car would pass inspection (emissions); I thought some of you supercharged guys still pass? I'm confused.

I think besides his car NOT running good these are the factors that made my car "feel" comparable to his.

He had:
RMM supercharger (ill-tuned???)
PI TC (2400 stall)
stock 3.26 diff (w/LSD installed)
Exhaust

I have:
PI TC (3000 stall)
3.76 Supra TT LSD
K&N Intake
Exhaust
TM plugs
Tuned Apexi Neo

I'm telling you I couldn't believe his car wasn't as fast as I thought it was going to be...It made me think twice about buying HIS supercharger. I thought maybe perhaps his supercharger could be shot as well..?? Another item against this upgrade is because I forgot that this mod requires a TB upgrade in the tranny. I am sort of against this mod because I heard that it definitely changes the luxury aspect of the car. Even when he was just rolling to a traffic light the supercharger was VERY loud almost obnoxious...not cool.

Questions:

What could have been wrong with his car?

Are all those CELs normal with a standalone EMS?

Can a supercharger be "worn out?"

I have read of supercharged GS4 members using 3.1X" pulleys and getting 360whp what could be wrong with his setup? Maybe his upgraded injectors ar still too small?

I might just try to get those headers and perhaps get an engine shop (with experience w/ toyota/lexus) do some porting and polishing; perhaps check out a stroker kit from Lextreme. We'll see... That was my experience thanks for reading.
Good thing you did not buy this car on based on under-hood face value (supercharger). I say keep your car as is. 270hp is quite respectable on the streets. Heck, later on you can purchase a factory supercharged machine like the 493hp E55 Mercedes as prices continue to drop. There are some affordable E55's in our area like this one for 34k. No bolt ons needed for this car. 15k in tuning, labor, saved imo.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=24
Old 03-25-08, 08:13 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Good thing you did not buy this car on based on under-hood face value (supercharger). I say keep your car as is. 270hp is quite respectable on the streets. Heck, later on you can purchase a factory supercharged machine like the 493hp E55 Mercedes as prices continue to drop. There are some affordable E55's in our area like this one for 34k. No bolt ons needed for this car. 15k in tuning, labor, saved imo.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=24
... you know what's really funny...I have been planning on getting one (a nice pre-owned) for the last 2 years. Now, I bought a house as of recent and I am also planning for a wedding in a year or so. So, needless to say I will be keeping my current ride for at least another 3 years. It will be paid off in 8 mos. Perhaps in 3 years there will be even more potent pre-owned vehicles at that time. I am hoping to stick with Lexus though, but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Got a ride in supercharged GS400...my impressions.