Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

any piggy back out there for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 07:42 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orlando628
hmmm i wonder if anyone has successfully done it if u have please share the details
imma ask my cousin husban he owner of p2r hopefully they kno something i'll keep u guys updated
Unless your really good at hard wiring don't try it. If I ever find where my wife stuck my wiring diagram I'll post it up.
Old 03-30-08, 08:55 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
SAFC2 works fine. I picked up 6whp by leaning out the fuel from 45k rpm and up.Fuel Reduction of @ 8%. A/F ratios are now around 13.0 wot. During the SAFC setup you can do a sensor check and all of the voltages are inline. It doesn't matter what voltages you have, the AFC just changes the value the ECU sees. From what i've seen on TIS, the voltage is the common 0-4.5 volt toyota always uses.
Cool info. I am inspired to look into this unit a little more.

I know it's a typo but........ 45k RPM .... That's "Dremel" speed. Hell yeah.
Old 03-30-08, 10:34 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaugster

I know it's a typo but........ 45k RPM .... That's "Dremel" speed. Hell yeah.
lol...yeah just wait until you hit 88mph.
Old 03-30-08, 03:59 PM
orlando628
Pole Position

omg that freaken awesome im soo gonna do that when i get all the bolt on please find the wiring diagram XD it would soo much help when i get my n my dad just could do it for me
Old 04-01-08, 06:52 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Yes, it seems that this type of unit is best when you add larger fuel injectors and a larger diameter MAF. Then you can use this unit to adjust the A/F ratio that was made richer by the larger then stock fuel injectors. The basic concept seems to be increasing the dynamic range of the fuel adjustment so that you can dump more fuel into a boosted motor.

For simple bolt-on's it does not seem to be of much benifit. I was actually thinking about a A/F controller to 'optimize' the fuel curve when I get the Mazzuri headers installed. This depends on how the fuel curve looks when all is said and done of course.
I haven't ever heard of a modern car with standard N/A bolt-ons and a stock motor that needed bigger injectors or more fuel. Manufacturers always tune for safety, which means a richer than optimum AFR, and big enough injectors to maintain the rich AFR long enough for the warranty to expire.

That said, all "good" bolt-ons should lean the mixture out some on their own, but modern ECU's will adjust the fuel curve to compensate. At full throttle, the fuel curve might change a bit in shape, but it will still be richer than optimum. That's where a piggy-back can help. If tuned properly, the MAF signal can be manipulated to smooth out the air / fuel curve to give a more optimum power curve. Of course, the fuel curve of a totally stock setup usually provides the most opertunity to gain from fuel tuning since it will usually run richer than it would with good bolt-ons.
Old 04-01-08, 07:22 AM
orlando628
Pole Position

yea true. i just want lil more power and im happy i kno it wont be super flow just enough to beat all the honda in my neighborhood -_-*
Old 04-01-08, 08:10 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Hey guys - Lots of good information here. The more I read the more I am encouraged about using a piggy back to lean these cars out just a tad.

One of my concerns was that a ISx50 with headers etc... would run lean during cruise or partial throttle conditions. It seems that during these conditions the ECU runs in a closed loop mode so it should trim itself back to "normal" for everyday driving. As long as the trims are minor adjustments there should be no CEL light.

It is my understanding that the ECU runs in open loop at WOT. Can anyone confirm this operation for these DI motors? So a piggy back could be used to make A/F adjustments without the ECU negating the adjustments based on its sensor readings over time.

Regards,
Old 04-01-08, 08:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ECU does run open loop at full throttle and high RPMs. My piggy-back lays in wait until 90% or higher throttle and at least 3K RPMs.