Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

trying to get turbo boost on 00 gs300

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 06:08 AM
sexygamja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trying to get turbo boost on 00 gs300

i'm looking forward to install a turbo on my 00 gs300
i have injen intake and catback with unknown brand but nice sound.
in order to install turbo, do i have to convert more stock parts into aftermarket parts?
please help me with ur recommends.
*which brand i can trust? or i don't have much choices?
Old 04-06-08, 10:11 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. hope your planning to spend 5k or more...
that's just to start...
as for a gs, theres not much brand choice. i mean 1 brand i know of...SRT.
good luck.
Old 04-06-08, 10:14 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

but i'm not an expert. just a beginner like u
Old 04-07-08, 05:16 AM
sexygamja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tommyGS3
but i'm not an expert. just a beginner like u
thank you for your reply
Old 04-07-08, 05:21 AM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

http://www.clubna-t.com/ I'm starting my turbo project in a couple of weeks still need to pick up some more parts. It depends on what your goals are on what you need to replace. There are a few of us in tristate area going boosted or already boosted.

Last edited by PlatanoTLS; 04-07-08 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Old 04-07-08, 09:47 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sexygamja
i'm looking forward to install a turbo on my 00 gs300
i have injen intake and catback with unknown brand but nice sound.
in order to install turbo, do i have to convert more stock parts into aftermarket parts?
please help me with ur recommends.
*which brand i can trust? or i don't have much choices?
Like Platano stated. What you need to change other than the standard stuff (manifold, etc.) all depends on your goals.

You should come out one of these days to our meets over on NELOC.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
Old 04-17-08, 12:04 PM
BJ91T
Driver School Candidate

Alright so you want to boost your GS300 here is what needs to be done.

* First off I see you have a 2000 Model Which uses a VVTI 2JZ you will need to start by replacing the weak VVTI connecting rods with the stonger units that can be found in non VVTI 2JZ's (GE or GTE they both use the same rods). If finding a factory set of rods is not an option many aftermarket companys make rods for the 2JZ from eagle to carillio,crower the list goes on and on and really depends on what you want to spend, however the connecting rod set is one of the most important peices in the engine.

* Now that you have strong rods in the motor lets focus on pistons, yes you can reuse the stock VVTI pistons. However you will need to install new rings and have to block honed to put a fresh surface in the bores so that then new rings will seal. This is needed since you had to pull the pistons out to swap the rods DONT REUSE RINGS.

*New Rods Means new bearings, Bring your head,block,crank,rods,and pistons to a trustworthy machine shop and have them all checked and balanced. Have new bearings installed etc.

*Have the machine shop check your block and head to make sure they are both 100% flat (head suface and block deck). If they are off by even a hair have them cut to be straight. If they are cut take how much material was removed into account when you purcase your MHG (metal head gasket). If they did not need to be cut I reccomend either a stock twin turbo supra head gasket or a nice aftermarket peice, again these can be found anyplace that carrys supra parts pretty much. I reccomend atleast a 1.6mm to drop compression a little since this motor was NA factory it had higher compression.

*The rest of the turbo setup is up to you and you can go as big or as small as you want, here is what you will need

*2JZ-GE turbo manifold (can be found on ebay etc..)
*Turbo of your choice (must be flanged to fit the manifold obviously)
*External wastegate that fits your manifold
*Downpipe (or atleast a flange and some pipe that fits your turbos discharge)
*Intercooler
*Intercooler Pipe kit with silicone couplers and T-Bolt style clamps (it takes alot of pipe if you keep the stock intake manifold you may need more that one kit if you get one of the ebay kits)

*Blow off valve with a flange (make sure the flange is made of the same material your intercooler pipes are so it can be welded on)

*Wideband 02 sensor kit (not just an afr gauge that taps into a stock 02 sensor but a real wideband its better to spend the money on this than another rebuild down the road because you went lean and blew it up) AEM makes a nice kit for under $300

*Boost gauge
*Boost Controller manual or electronic (I prefer electronic you make the choice do reasearch on the unit that you like before you buy)

*Oil feed line 3 or 4 AN Nitrous line works well you need enough to run from the underside of the intake manifold, around back of the head and to the turbo keep that in mind.

*AN adpaters for the turbo feed line you will need to tap somewhere on your oil system to get oil to feed the turbo ( i usually tap onto the head of the large banjo bolt that holds the oil filter housing on the block)

*AN 10 - 1/2" NPT Adapter for the oil drain back into the pan

*1/2" NPT tap (you will see on the pan what needs to be drilled out and tapped to drain the turbos oil back into the pan its towards the front of the pan and looks like a flange thats just cast shut).

*I recomend getting a walbro 255 fuel pump depending on your goals it should do fine for most.

*Tuning device, thats up to you MAP ECU, Emanage, Full Standalone the choice is yours but dont expect to shove boost down its mouth and not tune for it.

*fuel injectors You may be fine on stock again it all depends on your power goals. I cannot remember what size the stock ones are but The car we have has 440cc/min injectors in it and we are close to maxing them out at 500RWHP.

*setting up a fuel return with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be a good idea if your going for Higher horsepower since the GS3 Stock is a returnless fuel system.

*an oil cooler would also be a good idea since a turbo makes oil super hot.

*Your transmission would like a trans cooler if you plan to shove any power over stock through it. It may need more that that ours started to slip right at about 450RWHP.

I know its long and alot to take in but if your going to go turbo you need to be ready for what needs to be done. All I can say is do it right the first time while some cheap parts are good be carefull of what you buy do your homework before you buy anything. Stay away from turbos with a hotside larger than .90 AR they will spool pretty much to late to have useable power.

BJ @ Sydicate Tuning
Old 04-18-08, 07:36 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

nice post BJ. I decided to just do a 2jzgte swap myself. Seems like for what it costs to boost the 2jzge and build some of the motor that its not even worth it IMO.Go for the swap ftw
Old 04-18-08, 11:02 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Doing the swap isn't really worth the time and effort unless you just REALLY want the look of the GTE and dont mind all the extra labor. I'm sure most guys here are content with 350-400whp. That power level is perfectly attainable and reliable on the stock 2JZ-GE motor(with head gasket upgrade). If I weren't going all out and building a 800hp GS then I would of just stuck with the NA-T setup.

Check out my post of the whole how-to on putting that turbo into your car. One of the last pages has a full list of all the parts I used and prices of those parts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270853
Old 04-18-08, 12:49 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

checkout clubna-t.com. I also have a build thread on this site.

Basically, a wideband, AEM FIC, at least 1.3mm HG, 330cc injectors are a must for about 10 psi of boost.
Old 04-19-08, 09:36 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Doing the swap isn't really worth the time and effort unless you just REALLY want the look of the GTE and dont mind all the extra labor. I'm sure most guys here are content with 350-400whp. That power level is perfectly attainable and reliable on the stock 2JZ-GE motor(with head gasket upgrade). If I weren't going all out and building a 800hp GS then I would of just stuck with the NA-T setup.

Check out my post of the whole how-to on putting that turbo into your car. One of the last pages has a full list of all the parts I used and prices of those parts.

If I had to pay even close to full price for labor and parts then I wouldnt be able to afford the swap personally. But even still it just seems so much more unique to do the swap rather then boost the stock motor. Lucky for me I have friends who work on supras as well as friends who work at a lexus dealership. Plus I wont be happy with 400 at the wheels. All my friends have 700hp supras, cobras and vettes. I wouldnt even be able to keep up with them with 400 rwhp. Im gonna just go ahead and do a single to keep it simple and aim for 500 on pump gas at least. 650 on race gas. Im also doin a built tranny to back it up so no worries there.
Old 04-25-08, 07:14 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
If I had to pay even close to full price for labor and parts then I wouldnt be able to afford the swap personally. But even still it just seems so much more unique to do the swap rather then boost the stock motor. Lucky for me I have friends who work on supras as well as friends who work at a lexus dealership. Plus I wont be happy with 400 at the wheels. All my friends have 700hp supras, cobras and vettes. I wouldnt even be able to keep up with them with 400 rwhp. Im gonna just go ahead and do a single to keep it simple and aim for 500 on pump gas at least. 650 on race gas. Im also doin a built tranny to back it up so no worries there.
just buy stock 2jzgt3 pistons and rods, the blocks are pretty much the same..stock 2jzgte pistons and rods will hold way more then the power your trying to make...and then just buy a head if you want and its pretty much a done deal. no need to buy a whole swap.. goto supraforums.com buy the pistons and rods with rings and everything brand new for under 600 and you got a built motor that will hold 900+ whp
Old 04-25-08, 09:53 AM
99navette
Driver

or you can just buy a 2jzgte block since it is alittle bit better of a block with oil squirters. i found a block for 500$ then throm in some new bearings and rings and your good to go.
Old 05-07-08, 07:59 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

REALLY ??? and it will be reliable and still attain the stock tranny ?? what upgrades to tranny will be needed ??
Old 05-07-08, 08:12 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
REALLY ??? and it will be reliable and still attain the stock tranny ?? what upgrades to tranny will be needed ??
for that kinda hp......you will have to have a built tranny! upgrades will not do! too much power for the sprags!

Quick Reply: trying to get turbo boost on 00 gs300