Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:39 PM
vinman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake

Hi i have a is 250 rwd i just wondering is witch intake i should put ?????
Old 04-10-08, 04:02 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

afe stage 2 intake or joe z.. we dont have cold air intakes for our cars btw
Old 04-10-08, 04:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

None will add noticeable power. Any of the 200-300 buck ones will make the car louder though. The Joe Z is like $110 and will be at least as good (or better since it keeps the airbox) but not quite as loud.
Old 04-11-08, 05:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The OEM intake is a CAI system. The JoeZ replaces the main tube in that system, therefore keeping it a CAI. All the other aftermarket systems eliminate the CAI function in the OEM system.

Koz
Old 04-12-08, 03:12 PM
thisisj0
Driver

pre order the f sport intake from sewell its utilizes that joez technology so you get real gains and also is suppose to give you a much throatier sound
Old 04-13-08, 11:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thisisj0
pre order the f sport intake from sewell its utilizes that joez technology so you get real gains and also is suppose to give you a much throatier sound

and it's 4 times the cost of the Joe Z too!
Old 04-13-08, 04:32 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the F-sport air intake assembly different from the stock? Heard there was another hole next to where the snorkel goes but not sure.
Old 04-13-08, 05:36 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Does F-sport change to the sound? I heard the Joe-Z doesnt...
Old 04-14-08, 07:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pivo154
Does F-sport change to the sound? I heard the Joe-Z doesnt...
JoeZ hands down... and at 5K rpms, yes... it does.....
Old 04-14-08, 07:30 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

At $314, you can get the Lexus F-Sport right now from Sewelll....the only thing that makes me more comfortable buying it over the JoeZ is the fact that it's a Lexus piece, and dealerships tend to be more flexible with warranty handling when they see their own aftermarket products on the car.
Old 04-14-08, 10:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

It's a metal pipe.

There's literally no warranty issue I can think of that could possibly be a problem with the Joe Z.

Even if there were, it takes like 20 minutes to put the stock piece back on.
Old 04-14-08, 11:50 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The OEM intake is a CAI system. The JoeZ replaces the main tube in that system, therefore keeping it a CAI. All the other aftermarket systems eliminate the CAI function in the OEM system.

Koz
ohh i didnt know thatt.. well if you have a 250 get a joez if you have a 350 then get the AFE so its louderr! lol i dont want my 250 to be loud cause its slow so when i floor it im going no where..
Old 04-14-08, 02:45 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's a metal pipe.

There's literally no warranty issue I can think of that could possibly be a problem with the Joe Z.

Even if there were, it takes like 20 minutes to put the stock piece back on.
Actually, you'd be surprised what an intake kit can do. Pretty much EVERY intake for 05-up mustangs require a programmer due to the change in the air/fuel ratio.

I'm honestly considering the F-sport intake myself, because of the *perceived* hope that IF something did happen to occur, one could argue that it's a manufacturer-sold item. [my consideration is also dependent on the gains]

However, with FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts---similar thing to F-sport, only with Fords), the fact that it's sold by Ford doesn't mean that it won't cause problems or that your car will automatically be covered if something happens as a result of the modification.

A mod is a mod is a mod, and if something happens as a result of one, the dealership could easily refuse to warrant the issue. But, having a manufacturer-made item can at least (maybe) help your argument if you needed to defend yourself for a warranty claim.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-14-08 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 05:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Actually, you'd be surprised what an intake kit can do. Pretty much EVERY intake for 05-up mustangs require a programmer due to the change in the air/fuel ratio.
This has zero bearing on a Toyota. If Ford designed the original intake as the limiting factor in the engine's performance, then changing it will help. Toyota/Lexus did not make this same mistake. Opening up the 2GR or 4GR engines will require something more than a different intake if you want a seat of the pants difference in power.
Old 04-15-08, 06:49 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This has zero bearing on a Toyota. If Ford designed the original intake as the limiting factor in the engine's performance, then changing it will help. Toyota/Lexus did not make this same mistake. Opening up the 2GR or 4GR engines will require something more than a different intake if you want a seat of the pants difference in power.
This may be true. That was the problem with doing mods on the S2000. You buy an intake and exhaust, and the gains were minimal.

But, of all the basic perf. mods out there, the intake is typically the one you can do and get a few more ponies out of the car.

If the engine is louder as a result of the intakes (i wouldn't know as I'm still stock on mine), it may give the driver a greater sense of speed just from the noise.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake