Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone with a PI TC & 3.76 LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 01:16 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bigL
Im eventually gonna get drags for the track.I have a 125 wet zex kit but havent put it on due to trac. Gsteg what do you think on tires?I like the Nittos I think theyre a good bang for the buck tire.I also have thought pilots but I wasnt sure if the trac would be better and they are pretty pricey to be smokin off.I have the 2800 stall convertor.How do you guys feel about staging it?Holdin the gas and brake at 2800 rpm then easin into it off the line?
This is what the PI TC does by itself...it is exactly like holding the gas and brake until 2800 and letting it go. If you want to do this and "ease" into it, then why don't you just go 1/2 or 3/4 pedal until around 5-10 mph and then give it WOT as someone else previously mentioned?
Old 04-17-08, 02:07 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
This is what the PI TC does by itself...it is exactly like holding the gas and brake until 2800 and letting it go. If you want to do this and "ease" into it, then why don't you just go 1/2 or 3/4 pedal until around 5-10 mph and then give it WOT as someone else previously mentioned?
Really?So there is no need to stage it?The problem I have is I did the TC,gears lsd and the valve body upgrade at the same time so I have a hard time tellin whats doin what.The valve body is obvious.But I just assumed all the extra accleration from a stop was from the gears.I thought the TC would be used to stage the car.When I take off from a stop whether fast or slow my car accelerates as if there is no high stall conv.The only other TC experience Ive had was on an old muscle car and it revved pretty high before it would move.My car does not do this.
Old 04-18-08, 05:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

bigL, your high stall torque converter is the main component for your off-the-line acceleration. The gears help but they are mainly for rolling and driving acceleration (where the high stall TC does little if anything once your rolling). I did all those things at the same time as well except with a 3000 stall but no VB upgrade. Do you have a spare in the trunk? When you start multiplying torque down to the wheels weight reduction (removal of spare tire, sub box etc etc) in the rear is actually counterproductive and hurts your performance drastically; especially your launches. This is what I would do if I were you in this order:
1. Bring your rear tires to 36-38 PSI.
2. Leave your full spare in your trunk if you previously removed it.
3. Find something else that you can throw back there (maybe another 30-40lbs worth)
4. Check to make sure your Nittos are still good...they may be more bald than you think.
5. Mash the gas from a standstill...you should be able to grab a little better. If it still absolutely tears the tires up resort to #6.
6. Do some research for much stickier rear tires.
GL!
Old 04-18-08, 08:54 AM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a PI TC from a fellow member and was wondering where a 3.76 lsd can be had for a decent price? Also, would buying a used one be recommendable? Any input and/or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. TIA! ! !
Old 04-18-08, 10:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Brand new? Carson toyota. Used? Probably the classified section on here or the Supra forum. Other than that, they're not as readily available as they use to be. Price soared up high in the last few years.
Old 04-19-08, 12:34 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Rock thanks for clearing this up for me.I always assumed the extra pick up was from the gears.I really wish I had done all the mods one at a time so I could see each one independently.I only did the VB because everything was already out of the car and I knew I would be going FI.Its kinda cool at times at others I feel like it is really hard on my car.I did gut the trunk for weight reduction maybe Ill try puttin the spare back in.Nittos show good on tread so maybe a tire brand change in the future also.What about the gears and the speedo? Ive always assumed mine was off is this the case and is there a correction?Thanks alot
Old 04-19-08, 12:37 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

there is no correction for the speedo....it goes from a speed sensor in the front wheels!
Old 04-19-08, 08:20 PM
jesod
Pole Position

Take my word for it as someone that did them at seperate time the TC makes a BIG difference to the point that I would say if you were to do one mod it would be the TC w/ the gears being behind them, in fact if you're going FI you probably would be better with the little bit higher gearing of the original differential.

Last edited by jesod; 04-19-08 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 02:45 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Anyone have an idea of how far off the speedo is?Say at 60mph?
Old 04-23-08, 03:32 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Originally Posted by bigL
Anyone have an idea of how far off the speedo is?Say at 60mph?
The GS reads off the wheel not the driveline like most cars. The gear change does not effect the speedo at all.
Old 04-24-08, 05:47 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Correct! It does NOT throw off the speedometer/odometer at all...
Old 04-27-08, 07:28 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my best 60' times came when I did NOT stall up against the convertor.

our local track is pretty well prepped but I sit on the line at idle....give it about 1/2 throttle at the last full yellow just until the rear suspension sets, then I go to full throttle. It's only about 1/3 - 1/2 of a second in the throttle change.
Sixty foot times are about 1.9x on my 245 Pirelli's.
Old 04-28-08, 06:25 AM
shawnberry
Pole Position

the lsd is great...but i noticed more difference with TC (it was close)
Old 04-28-08, 09:32 AM
TactiCOOL
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what the hell is a PI?
Im so lost hahaaha.....
Old 04-28-08, 09:38 AM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OKC-GS400
what the hell is a PI?
Im so lost hahaaha.....
PI stands for Precision Industries, the company who makes the stall/torque converters.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a PI TC & 3.76 LSD???