Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing Odyssey PC680T lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 08:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by accelerate
Mounting sideways is good as long as the terminals don't touch any metal, you wouldn't want that to happen because the end result would be disastrous. Good luck let us know what you did.
I have a buddy of mine coming over tomorrow who used to work for a speed shop, so we'll see what he thinks. He is pretty good at welding, so we may have more options than what I posted.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-28-08 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 09:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That's a nice modification, thank you for sharing the photos of this. This is a future modification on my list for my RX.
Old 04-21-08, 08:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you actually connected the battery yet to see how easily it will start the car? I would have bought one long ago if I knew it would crank the motor and maintain a charge for 3 days without being driven. I loved the PC680MJT in my S2000, but it didn't have nearly as many electro-widgets.
Old 04-21-08, 08:20 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gernby
Have you actually connected the battery yet to see how easily it will start the car? I would have bought one long ago if I knew it would crank the motor and maintain a charge for 3 days without being driven. I loved the PC680MJT in my S2000, but it didn't have nearly as many electro-widgets.
Greg, yeah I actually did connect the battery and start the car with it a few times while test fitting. Seemed to start just as good if not better than the OEM battery. As for maintaining charge I won't really know how well it works until I have it mounted in place and driving around. Will be doing more measurements tonight and hope to come up with a final mounting solution.
Old 05-26-08, 09:22 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

The project is 95% done. The mounting bracket has been completed and we will do the install tomorrow evening.
Old 05-27-08, 06:32 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Cool. Any pics of the mounting hardware?
Old 05-27-08, 04:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Almost done!

So we did our test fitting this evening and only have a few minor things to change about the design. The change will be to tack weld the bolts onto the flat bar to make installation very easy. We found that it's a PIA to hold the bolts in place from the rear while tightening from the front. If we just weld the bolts into place then all we have to do is slide the battery cover onto them and bolt it up with the nylocks. The plan is to do the welds tomorrow and I'll drive around for several weeks to see how it works out. I'm not expecting any issues.

PS..Many thanks to board member TYWRAP (Jon) for the design and custom mounting bracket. Once this thing is completed I'll have to name it in some way after him. Maybe the JP Mount.

Here are the pictures.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-28-08 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 04:26 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fluxx
are there any negatives to using this battery as oppose to the normal one?
i dont know about this certain model but when i had those oddysey batteries on my s13, they would last around 10months till u start experiencing problems with maintaining charge. my friends had these problems also with these "type" of batteries, iono whether its because its (gel cells) instead of the norm.
Old 05-27-08, 07:30 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does everyone else get the JP MOUNT??
Old 05-28-08, 06:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sr20****
i dont know about this certain model but when i had those oddysey batteries on my s13, they would last around 10months till u start experiencing problems with maintaining charge. my friends had these problems also with these "type" of batteries, iono whether its because its (gel cells) instead of the norm.
I used this very same model in my Honda S2000, and it always cranked as good or better than the stock battery even when it was new. My stock battery was getting really weak after just 2 years.
Old 05-28-08, 06:54 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I used this very same model in my Honda S2000, and it always cranked as good or better than the stock battery even when it was new. My stock battery was getting really weak after just 2 years.
TYWRAP who drives a Supra has had his 680T for several years as well with no problems.
Old 05-28-08, 07:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Oops ... I forgot to mention that the bracket looks really clean. How much does it weigh, and how can we get / make one?
Old 05-28-08, 07:19 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Oops ... I forgot to mention that the bracket looks really clean. How much does it weigh, and how can we get / make one?
The current weight of the bracket is 7.4 ounces, which may be lighter than the OEM mounting H/W. I can estimate that we can drill out at least 2 ounces in the final mount while maintaining rigidity.

For weights this is what I have noted so far and I will edit when I get solid numbers.

OEM battery - 42.5 lbs
OEM Hold down hardware - .5 (approx)

Odyssey battery - 16 lbs (including the black aluminum hold down box)
JP Mounting bracket- 7.7 oz or .48 lbs

Approximate weight savings is 26.5lbs

Last edited by caymandive; 05-28-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 07:26 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks Good. Thanks for the pics and update! You guys are pinching every pound out of this car...Love it!!!!!!
Old 05-28-08, 07:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by passnu2
Looks Good. Thanks for the pics and update! You guys are pinching every pound out of this car...Love it!!!!!!
Thanks! It's currently the best bang for the buck in modifying this car. I've pretty much concluded that 30lbs removed is approximately .1 off the quarter mile. We drive a Lexus so it would be ridiculous to drive it stripped out, so we have to get creative with weight reduction while keeping it the kind of car Lexus intended it to be.

Plus I'm getting a bit tired of all the intake, exhaust and wheel threads and wanted to do something different.

Quick Reply: Installing Odyssey PC680T lightweight battery