Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Srt Gs430 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 02:49 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Srt Gs430 Intake

I checked out srt site and they claim 22 hp & 30 lbs tq @ the wheels ! with just a cool air intake ! has anyone really challenge that statement ? that seems a lil dramatic for just a cool air intake !! just my thoughts ! if that is even near possible without any other mods im sold !!!
Old 04-15-08, 02:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not a cold air setup. It's a short ram setup with a horrible "heatshield" that most likely does nothing. The intake will most likely suck in the engine's hot air after you've driven around for awhile. Heat-soak will really bring your performance down, especially since you live in NV (Las vegas?). If anything, they probably dyno'ed the car with the hood open like most people. I rather dyno my car with the hood closed to provide a more realistic situation. Yes I'll get a lower reading, but I'm not trying to increase my bragging rights. OK i'm done venting
Old 04-15-08, 03:03 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget it also has the r-ecu, which alters your a/f ratios. But GSteg isn't lying, tempatures will vary hp gains. I think their dynos are just to give you an idea of what gains the intake is capable of making. Heatsoak sucks, especially in places where we are at.
Old 04-15-08, 03:06 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does make the claimed horsepower, i have been there and seen them dyno cars before and after. There are also members here who have done a before and after dyno and achieved the numbers claimed for the 430. Yes, the car was dynoed with the hood open, JUST LIKE EVERYONE IN THE INDUSTRY DOES, and with a fan to get some moving air across the radiator etc...the whole point is to try and simulate driving on the street with the fan, if anything driving out on the road at 60mph will provide MUCH more cool air than a small fan in a non air-conditioned building. There are a few members here who disagree but if you do a search you will find the SRT intake is known on these boards to be the best intake for the cars.

The reason it is able to make this amount of power is not because of the heat shield, which wouldn't make a difference on the dyno anyways, but because it is allowing considerably more airflow through the increased diameter of the pipe and more freely flowing filter. The piggyback ecu that is provided with the intake modifies the airflow signal in order to provide the necessary fuel compensation for the increased airflow.
Old 04-16-08, 11:05 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Default Piggyback Ecu

i mustve missed the part that a piggyback ecu came with the srt cool air intake ! but maybe you'd get the same gains with just a piggy ecu and a k&n drop in replacement filter ! ive read other post where just a afc piggyback ecu was used and had gains of 20hp and 30+ lbs of tq ! also whats the afr with srt piggyback ecu and intake ? if anyone has a dyno with just a k&n filter and any piggyback ecu compared to the srt cool air intake/piggyback ecu ? thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread or even took your time to read this !
Old 04-16-08, 11:21 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly dont remember what the afr was running the Srt ecu, it's going to be slightly different with any car but it is well within the safe range. You can run a K&N drop in but it is still using the stock convoluted rough intake arm which hinders flow, as well as the stock arm is a smaller diameter than the SRT intake o less air will be able to flow.

With the drop in filter you would need to run a AFC or some other similar device which is going to run you roughly $200 for the unit, plus installation and then it will have to be dyno tuned which is generally around $100 an hour. By the time your at that point you aren't saving any money on the Srt and if anything probably have a little less air flow. Hope that helps to make things a little more clear.
Old 04-20-08, 02:43 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

i guess the price with a piggyback ecu isnt that bad ! i'll have to order one this week and see whats the out come !