Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-sport Intake - TECH / OWNER'S OPINIONS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 08:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Glad to see Lexus knows a good design when they see one...

Here is the Official F-Sport Intake Install guide from Sewell..

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...-AI-0077-D.pdf

The $26 cleaning kit, would suggest the filter is oil based & resuable...

Also, the "Do Not Throw Filter Label" is a pretty good hint its reusable..

Looks like I will be taking out my DREMEL when I get home tonight..!!

Here are some pics from our CL member:

Enjoy

Joe Z

Joe so its the tube and the new filter? what is different about the filter box (beside saying Fsport that no one will see)? To me from the pics looks like you are better to get your pipe Joe and change the filter? Seems like an apples to apples comparo!

Looks nice just wondering what more it will do then what I listed above.

Mike
Old 04-18-08, 08:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the F-sport intake supposedly will have an EO number, so it will pass a smog check in California. That might be significant to california owners planning to keep the car more than 4 years.

Other than that it does appear functionally identical to a Joe Z with a reusable filter and an extra hole in the airbox.
Old 04-18-08, 08:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by passnu2
Joe so its the tube and the new filter? what is different about the filter box (beside saying Fsport that no one will see)? To me from the pics looks like you are better to get your pipe Joe and change the filter? Seems like an apples to apples comparo!

Looks nice just wondering what more it will do then what I listed above.

Mike
^^ Mike you are right on the comparo...

The difference in the lower airbox portion, is that it has been completely smoothed down so that there are no slates inside the air box.. Also, the hole in the front is a very old trick that many Toyota (TRD) / Lexus owners have done in the past.. Cutting out a hole on the front of the air box..
Yes it will just be another air inlet and I would expect the intake tone to increase just a bit more than stock.. Especially with the new filter.. which should flow better than stock...

The box cover is not included, you use the one from your car.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, the F-sport intake supposedly will have an EO number, so it will pass a smog check in California. That might be significant to california owners planning to keep the car more than 4 years.

Other than that it does appear functionally identical to a Joe Z with a reusable filter and an extra hole in the airbox.
^^ Your pretty much dead on!!!

Joe Z

P.S. - I have an extra airbox in my garage, and I have been experimenting with it to bascially create my own smooth airbox.. Not sure if i want the extra hole just yet, for more sound..

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-18-08 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 08:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Mike you are right on the comparo...

The difference in the lower airbox portion, is that it has been completely smoothed down so that there are no slates inside the air box.. Also, the whole in the front is a very old trick that many Toyota (TRD) / Lexus owners have done in the past.. Cutting out a hole on the front of the air box..
Yes it will just be another air inlet and I would expect the intake tone to increase just a bit more than stock.. Especially with the new filter.. which should flow better than stock...

The box cover is not included, you use the one from your car.

^^ Your pretty much dead on!!!

Joe Z

P.S. - I have an extra airbox in my garage, and I have been experimenting with it to bascially create my own smooth airbox.. Not sure if i want the extra hole just yet, for more sound..
Thanks Joe-

so isnt this "extra hole" allowing warmer air from the engine bay? Assuming that its an open hole with with no hose fed to it.

Post some pics please of the box you are working on. I am curious to see please.
Old 04-18-08, 08:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thanks Joe-

so isnt this "extra hole" allowing warmer air from the engine bay? Assuming that its an open hole with with no hose fed to it.

Post some pics please of the box you are working on. I am curious to see please.
No problem...

The "extra hole" in airbox concept, is a good question for the F-Sport R&D team..
- You are correct on the fact that it is just an open hole.

Sure, I'll post pics of it when its done... Its just not at the top of my list right now...
Old 04-18-08, 10:00 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is their any way to just get the stickers for the emmissons part, it would be an easy way to pass smog in CA and use the JoeZ pipe, crazy idea.
Old 04-18-08, 10:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
Is their any way to just get the stickers for the emmissons part, it would be an easy way to pass smog in CA and use the JoeZ pipe, crazy idea.
Thats just a crazy idea....

For the record, the pipe swap alone, shouldn't take longer than 10 mins..

Also, as a side note, I passed CA Smog (sniffer & visual) when I owned my IS300..
The smog tech asked me if it was an aftermarket intake.. i said nah, I just replaced the sleeves to Red...

Joe Z
Old 04-18-08, 04:54 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

I am interested in the outcome of the new intake compared to the Joez.

I don't really see the benefit of having that extra hole. I always thought they would have another tubing which connects to the original intake air duct to produce more cold air flow.

This will be really interesting to see once someone has installed it and test it.

Right now, I just don't see the benefit of increasing an extra air hole which pulls the air from in cabin. But I hope I am wrong...because why would Lexus introduce a intake to their customers if it decreases the car performance.
Old 04-18-08, 05:44 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

warm air is more efficient at part load. cold air is beneficial during WOT

i wonder if the extra hole is just for the audio side of the upgrade.

perhaps it's to help with low end grunt with the warmer cabin air during regular driving which most ISx50's face on a regular basis anyhow?
Old 04-18-08, 06:18 PM
kevintq
Pole Position

to be honest with you guys. the only thing different is an air filter and the pipe. because the pipe isnt plasticy and rubbery anymore you are going to have a louder intake. SO think of it as a typical air intake like the fujita or injen with a black box around it. Im sure it gives you just about the same power as the ones already available but for a more expensive price.
Old 04-18-08, 06:44 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just ordered the intake today, so I'll let y'all know (hopefully) next weekend how it fares.

In terms of the extra hole, it should allow more air flow into the box assembly....assuming that air can get into the hole to begin with, which may be a big assumption.
Old 04-18-08, 06:47 PM
FrayKay
Driver

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
You can buy the stickers seperate, but I think they're pretty expensive for what it is.
Old 04-18-08, 07:22 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i noticed in my friends g35 stock air box it has this a 2nd hole as well as the first hole for the air dam.
Old 04-18-08, 07:50 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

I guess we can wait for Joez to open up an extra hole for his extra intake box and test it!
Old 04-18-08, 09:53 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have JoeZ intake on my car, does anyone have the pix of the second hole of the F-Sport?
I would drill one on my OEM box...and let you guys know...

Last edited by blk250; 04-18-08 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: F-sport Intake - TECH / OWNER'S OPINIONS PLEASE