Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-sport Intake - TECH / OWNER'S OPINIONS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 09:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Yeah, but (for me) throttle response deals more with the low end, which is more typical of "real world" driving. So, even if your times stay about the same, if it propels you quicker initially, that's probably going to be more important.

IMO, the low end is a lot more important than the power near redline. Even if peak power does not increase much after a modification, if the low end has an increase, that should be more "pertinent" to the way you are going to DRIVE your car, not necessarily RACE your car
I see 5000 - 6000 rpm and WOT almost daily. I learned a long time ago with bikes to run the engine where the power is when I want to go fast. I really don't care what rpm it happens to be. I've never owned a V-8, so I've never felt the need for low rpm torque. I don't care where the engine makes torque, only where it makes power.
Old 04-22-08, 09:58 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I see 5000 - 6000 rpm and WOT almost daily. I learned a long time ago with bikes to run the engine where the power is when I want to go fast. I really don't care what rpm it happens to be. I've never owned a V-8, so I've never felt the need for low rpm torque. I don't care where the engine makes torque, only where it makes power.
You must get some crazy bad gas mileage

Seriously though, I can't figure out if you're saying that you just drive around at 5-6K all day long.

But, unless you're already moving or trying to maintain high speeds, "power" (meaning hp) will do a lot less for you than torque will.

for my driving, torque always prevails. But, then again, my driving is either traffic and stop lights or 60-65 mph highway cruise for a long period.
Old 04-22-08, 10:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Having torque is like having voltage. It doesn't mean you can do work with it. Work is what moves the car. I'll take power any day because I can use gearing to put torque at the wheel where it actually does some good.

No, I don't drive around at high rpm all the time. Only when I want to accelerate hard, usually a couple of times a day. I also don't get bad mileage. Remember, I'm the guy who'll get at least 80k out of his brakes because I just don't use them unless I have no other choice. Brakes are the anti-gas mileage pedal.

Here's a solid primer on torque. It also explains why I really don't care about low end torque. Note the waterwheel example. It's quite telling of how useless torque by itself is as a comparator.
Old 04-24-08, 05:52 PM
mikes rx

So, here's a good question for the tech wizards on the forum:

Which would you use with the F-sport intake: a K&N filter or the F-sport filter.

In reality, it probably won't make a hill of beans difference, but I already have a K&N filter, so one of them's got to go. I'm leaning toward using the F-sport filter, as the intake was developed for use with it.

But, maybe the K&N is a better quality filter???? I can't remember who typically makes the "blue filters". I'm assuming that the F-sport is also oil-impregnated, so it pretty much comes down to quality/better flow.
Old 04-25-08, 04:09 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Just got mine installed and you can really hear it after 3,500 rpms but only on WOT. Otherwise you can barely tell that it's there... I also have the Tanabe exhaust so I'm not sure if that blocks any intake noise below 3,500 rpms... Intake isn't that much louder... it just makes the engine noise that you normally hear on WOT a lot deeper instead of the normal high pitched noise. Best way to imagine the noise is if you already have the Tanabe exhaust. Normally the Tanabe makes no noise after 3,500 rpms but the intake makes a similar noise after 3,500 rpms (assuming WOT). So just imagine the Tanabe noise all the way to redline.
Old 04-25-08, 06:01 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Just got mine installed and you can really hear it after 3,500 rpms but only on WOT. Otherwise you can barely tell that it's there... I also have the Tanabe exhaust so I'm not sure if that blocks any intake noise below 3,500 rpms... Intake isn't that much louder... it just makes the engine noise that you normally hear on WOT a lot deeper instead of the normal high pitched noise. Best way to imagine the noise is if you already have the Tanabe exhaust. Normally the Tanabe makes no noise after 3,500 rpms but the intake makes a similar noise after 3,500 rpms (assuming WOT). So just imagine the Tanabe noise all the way to redline.
^ that sounds perfect to me, and exactly what I was looking for. BTW, I have the Tanabe, but like you said, all you hear is high-pitched noise after 3500.

I can't wait to install mine.
Old 04-25-08, 07:20 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with what RshaoKh said... the other day I had to floor it when I was getting on the freeway...I was at 3500 - 4000 rpm and it made a sweet sound I never heard before the intake.
Old 05-01-08, 04:46 PM
mikes rx

Well, I just installed the intake tonight, as I must say, I'm pretty impressed.

I think it's a little quicker, and even if not, it SOUNDS quicker.

Like another member posted on another thread, as soon as about 3200 rpm comes, you hear a very nice and noticeable grunt from the intake. No more high pitched whine at WOT. Now, the car SOUNDS like it's got the power that it has.

All this, and it's a factory part made for the vehicle.

BTW, I've never had the Joe-Z, so I can't compare.
Old 05-01-08, 05:14 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound of f sport intake here ...just fast fwd to is350...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOzN-QBcez8
Old 05-07-08, 04:31 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i know im not suppose to say just get the joe z its cheaper.. but i agree on it! i cut a hole in my stock airbox just like the f sport and i can guarantee you it sounds just as nice as the f sport intake.. why spend 300 bucks rather then close to a mere 100 bucks for the joez.. and im pretty sure the gains are the same or we dont even know if the f sport gives you any gains.. im just saying if people would prefer doing it the cheap route or have a over priced name brand with warranty in which i think is useless cause how often does ANYONE for that matter have a problem with their intake unless they put it on wrong?? i work at lexus and i heard the f sport intake and it sounds dam close to what i did with my stock airbox.. and im pretty sure it will sound even better with the joez intake and the drop in filter.. all much cheaper then the f sport for the same sound and gains if any
Old 05-07-08, 07:44 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the F-Sport intake comes with a LOT more than the JoeZ intake. So it is NOT $100 vs $320. F-Sport comes with a filter similar to the K&N filter ($50), Lexus lower airbox portion, AND stickers that protect you from cops and visual smog checks. I always see comments like, "This is a Lexus, not a Civic." Not that I agree with those kinds of statements, but why does it magically not apply here? Is it because people with the JoeZ intake are upset with not knowing about the F-Sport intake at the time they made their purchase? I personally think the JoeZ and F-Sport intake are both fine. They don't really add much and one is just more "official"/legal. Just get whatever you want to waste money on and not bash the F-Sport intake.
Old 05-07-08, 07:48 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

ohhh the stickers are nice i guess? totally forgot about that.. we floridians dont have those smog inspections thats why lol lucky us.. both ways practically sound the same.. put on a joez intake and there you have it.. i call it the joe sport intake without paying the heavy price that doesnt do much but cause sound. im just saying your getting the same thing for a different price..im not tring to bash on f sport accessories either but i just dont like it how they rip alot of people off when you can get the same thing for a cheaper price.. thats lexus for you.. i work at lexus and they only pay like 300 a wheel.. the put a is250 on display with the f sport accessories and charging 6 grand for the rims+tires

Last edited by Pnuge88; 05-07-08 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 07:55 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

People with the JoeZ intake still wasted $100 for "only" sound. Most people here agree that intakes provide insignificant gains. If people don't want to waste money then they shouldn't have purchased an intake in the first place... Why not just get a $50 intake pipe off Ebay? Cheaper than JoeZ and provides sound at a low price... Not trying to argue or anything but both ways are fine. If you don't want to waste that much money then just get the JoeZ and cut your own hole. Otherwise just get the F-Sport Intake if you have the extra $200 you don't mind shelling out.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 05-07-08 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 08:02 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

for car enthusist that want products at a cheaper price? im sure people would pay for that pipe off ebay too but how bout people who like popular branded products as well.. joe z intake (w/ modified airbox)is VERY VERY popular and f sport is on the list as well.. they both do the same thing so which one would you pick 150 for joez and (HKS, BLITZ, K&N) filter or 300 for f sport? its not about WASTING money on the product but SAVING on a product that they WANT

Last edited by Pnuge88; 05-07-08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 08:16 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
for car enthusist that want products at a cheaper price? im sure people would pay for that pipe off ebay too but how bout people who like branded things too.. joe z intake (w/ modified airbox)is VERY VERY popular and f sport is on the list as well.. they both do the same thing so which one would you pick 150 for joez and filter or 300 for f sport?
Last time I checked, Lexus was a much larger brand than JoeZ... Once again, if people want to play the price game then and ignore the brand (essentially what is happening here since Lexus is MUCH larger than JoeZ... isn't the JoeZ pipe only made for the 2IS and no other car or brand?) then ebay is the best route since it is the cheapest. But I think our arguement is pointless... since we're basically arguing over which name brand is better... Sorta like Lexus vs Benz. Everyone has their own oppinions but lets not discredit the F-Sport intake. $320 is NOT a ripoff since you get way more than just a pipe. If you want to save money then go JoeZ and cut your airbox. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the F-Sport intake either. BTW, if you say it's what people WANT then why argue against the F-Sport? What if people actually want it for the Lexus name? Why is price an issue if it's what people want?

Last edited by RshaoKh; 05-07-08 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: F-sport Intake - TECH / OWNER'S OPINIONS PLEASE