Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-sport Intake - TECH / OWNER'S OPINIONS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 04:27 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M1sTa801 and RshaoKh:

Simply put, yes, the f-sport intake is expensive, but it's a FACTORY part. It's no different than people that want NOS parts on their antique vehicles vs aftermarket. Would you buy an aftermarket headlight for your car if it needed replacement, or would you buy the factory OEM part? Would you buy a Fram oil filter for your car, or would you buy the factory OEM filter?

You always pay more for OEM, but you get OEM quality and peace of mind.

The joe-z pipe is a custom home-made pipe. Good quality or not, it's still a custom no-name part, and (although unlikely) if anything were to happen to the vehicle due to it, it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with either, but those that want OEM quality and peace of mind would rather pay the extra $$$ for that luxury.

So, now that that's all said, let's get back to the TECHNICAL side of the thread

PS:I'm not trying to bash Joe-Z's pipe in anyway. I'm just providing a fact

Last edited by mikes rx; 05-08-08 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-08-08, 06:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

$310 isnt a bad price (with discount code from Lexus Parts), I paid nearly that much for a AEM CAI for a honda prelude
Old 05-08-08, 07:01 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

How big is the extra hole in the F-Sport box?

Koz
Old 05-08-08, 10:23 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
How big is the extra hole in the F-Sport box?

Koz
I think the new hole is slightly smaller? I can't recall... From post 31, it looks like the new one is smaller.
Old 05-08-08, 11:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Very Interesting discussion here gang..

- For the record the "Joe Z Intake pipe" went through a few independent dyno tests, all resulting in positive gains.. During R&D and well after by end users..

- Also, the manufacturing process is far from "homemade"..
I use only the best materials available and every unit goes through a strict quality control inspection, before it makes it to the anodizing process.
&
Even afterwards before it reaches the end user.

and

- Finally, YES.. The intake is made for one Lexus Model..
The IS from 2001-2008. Since these are the only 2 cars I have owned in the last 8 years. (Also fits GS350 & GS450h)
BTW - did I mention I only do this for the Enthusiasts??
I do have an everyday job in the Financial industry that takes approx 50 hours a week of my life...

- Just providing some side facts...

Thank You

Joe Z

P.S. -> You should all be very HAPPY & GLAD that Lexus did not release another Open Element Intake Design..

The F-Sport Intake is a Great Design!!!!
Old 05-08-08, 11:39 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Can anyone post the size of the extra hole in the F-Sport box. I seen the picture (post #31), but I don't want to guess the size.

Koz
Old 05-08-08, 02:52 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

JoeZ, just for the record, I want you to know that I've never bashed your pipe in any of my discussions regarding your pipe vs. the Lexus pipe. I've never once stated that your kit was an inferior product....the main reason being that I've never used your intake so I don't know. But, I've even said that now that l-tuned sells it, your credibility has increased significantly (not to say that it wasn't before, but now it truly is substantial).

I'm writing this just to clear up the air a little. I don't want you to think that I consider your intake a piece of junk or anything. My comment about it being homemade was only as a comparison to it not being a "name-brand" piece (ie-K&N or, in the case of the F-sport, Lexus themselves). Although, JoeZ is a name-brand on the IS forums.

Again, I wasn't trying to be derogatory toward you or your intake, as I appreciate the effort that you put into the Lexus culture.

Just wanted to let you know,

-Mike
Old 05-08-08, 04:04 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

what a ongoing discussion lol we werent arguing just stating our opinions on the two products.. btw i was saying mainly for the 2IS for these two specific intakes joe z is very popular on these forums. its like comparing mazzuri headers and megan headers or even jun-t headers all great products they have their +'s and -'s
Old 05-08-08, 04:33 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Again, I wasn't trying to be derogatory toward you or your intake, as I appreciate the effort that you put into the Lexus culture.

Just wanted to let you know,

-Mike
Mike no worries my friend..

I aprreciate your honesty and for the record I had zero issues with your post(s)..

Joe Z
Old 05-09-08, 12:34 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

I just received my intake. WOOT!! But did anyone notice a smaller hole towards the bottom of the intake? At the indent on the bottom where the peg leg is used to secure the box to the car? A small cutout, used to attach somewhere? Hope I didnt get a lemon .

Last edited by kloh7; 05-09-08 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 12:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can the blue air filter in the F-Sport be bought separately?
Is it a blitz?
Old 05-09-08, 05:22 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Alright, just got it installed. I found out the indent towards the bottom with a small indent hole is normal since the oem one had it also. Now on to my opinion, I'll say that it's pretty nice sounding. For people who have driven the IS-F, I want to say that the intake sounds pretty close to the IS-F intake sound where when you really get on it, the intake wakes up and sounds pretty mean. I do notice that this is typical beyond 3500 rpms especially in the first 3 gears. But once the later gears come into play, you can slightly hear it at about 2500 rpms (very little, barely, I have good ears). The exhaust will typically render anything you hear below 3500 rpms from the intake nonexistent. I tried even setting the car in park and just giving it gas and you definately hear the intake. Like I said earlier, it pretty much sounds like the IS-F intake how it kinda opens up when you really get on the gas. I'm sure the IS-F still sounds better due to the V-8 but overall, I'm real happy. No more whining sounds beyond 3500 rpms. The intake is perfect for me in that you can still drive family around and the car is still civilized like a lexus should be but it has the sport sound when you want it.
Old 05-10-08, 08:16 AM
Rican219
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine today. Anyone want to buy and brand new never installed Joe Z intake? LOL I had ordered it and then decided to go the F-Sport route
Old 05-10-08, 09:03 AM
dra5037
Rookie

just got my f-sport intake installed yesterday.
absolutely love it! it sounds amazing!
it is a perfect balance too. you can really hear the roar when you step on it, but at a normal cruise, you don't even notice it.
Old 05-10-08, 09:23 AM
gbusy1906
Driver School Candidate

Any performance numbers for the F-Intake? I noticed the independent tests for the Joe Z shown 6hp increase. Sound is one thing but performance is the bottom line. You pay for performance, hp and torque. That's why you pay more for a 350 than a 250. I would like to see some performance numbers via independent testing. I would hate to spent 300 plus for no hp/tq gains.

Quick Reply: F-sport Intake - TECH / OWNER'S OPINIONS PLEASE