Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I drilled

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 09:07 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^- they call em electronic cutouts, although I dont know if I'd install em on a 2IS
Old 05-09-11, 08:44 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a thought. Looking at the fins on the intake, it looks like they were put there as a design consideration (i.e. after a mold flow analysis) to help the intake cool correctly without warping. This allows less plastic (and less $$$) to be used in making the intake.

The cost savings is not really a consideration for the F-sport intake which could be why they do not have them.
Old 05-11-11, 09:09 PM
machefai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So yes, I drilled...but then I stuffed it with a modified check valve. My new Joe-z pipe made me to do it....

I did this mostly out of fun, but I also wanted to try and limit the amount of heat making it's way in with a large new opening. The valve only opens when there is enough vacuum pressure applied from the intake. It remains closed all other times. Figured this would allow the nice sound out while allowing (possibly hot) air in, but only when at WOT, or there about. Need to test to see how much pressure/rpm is required to open it. I also wanted to maintain pressure within the box as well in hopes to overcome any possible lag in throttle response with the new opening.

Inside:

Outside:
Old 05-11-11, 10:33 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ very interesting. Nice looking
Old 05-12-11, 08:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lobuxracer explained a while back why at less than wot you'd prefer hotter air for efficency-so your mod, while interesting, may be counterproductive
Old 05-12-11, 01:34 PM
machefai
Driver

Thanks ApokC! My initial idea was taken from the isf intake which opens electronically based on rpm. Mine's obviously not as accurate since it's based on vacuum pressure which grows at higher rpm's. I originally had a panel that was more spring loaded that would open and close with the vacuum pressure. But then I wanted to try and build a cold air intake using the scoops in the front lower grille. So this new check valve concept was supposed to connect to a snazzy new (fsport blue) tube that connected into one of the lower scoops. So once installed the check valve, I connected the hose to it and went to connect it to the scoop. Unfortunately, the scoops lead to the wheel well. FAIL

In any event, was mostly just having fun building something unique that gave me the added intake growl while maintaining the overall design integrity of the original box.

As far as Lobuxracer’s comment, I seem to recall him discussing 06isDriver’s custom cold air intake where he was pointing to better gas mileage in summer vs. winter(hot air vs cold air)? Is that what you’re referring to? If so, there are a lot of other things to consider. The biggest of which is, gas is a completely different blend in the summer and contains nearly 2% more energy. Secondly, oil viscosity is affected by heat. Heat reduces the viscosity, making it thinner and reduces drag and increases efficiency. There’s also tire pressure and many other elements that come into play. However, I think his MAIN point was, that any increased performance 06isDriver might see in his cold air intake would be offset by the drain on the alternator.

Long story short, the impact on the opening of the throttle with hot air(open box) vs. having a valve in place will not be measurable at low rpm’s. Especially since as the throttle needs to open, it increases the vacuum pressure which opens the check valve.
Old 05-14-11, 01:40 PM
birador
Lead Lap

a very interesting subject going here,i might try this and bring to my friends shop to see the difference.
Old 05-14-11, 02:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by birador
a very interesting subject going here,i might try this and bring to my friends shop to see the difference.
there won't really be one other than noise.

The stock airbox already provides more air than the engine is capable of using
Old 05-19-11, 11:27 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

My engine needs more air than Kurtz engine bahahahaha
Old 05-20-11, 04:36 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ApokC
My engine needs more air than Kurtz engine bahahahaha
If you believe that I've got a really awesome bridge you might be interested in purchasing!
Old 05-20-11, 04:47 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is more rednek then removing the resonator off the exhaust
Old 05-20-11, 11:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by panda327
this is more rednek then removing the resonator off the exhaust
Actually, I think it's the other way around.

He created a design similar to (or better than) the F-Sport Box...

The bonus is that the check valve hole extra air, will only come in at WOT...

Which "in my opinion", is more than likely better than a hole open all the time..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-20-11 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-24-11, 11:27 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The reason for the extra hole in the airbox on the F-sport intake is so it makes more noise.

A surprising number of folks who drop a ton of cash on aftermarket parts want more noise.

See also some of the crazy-expensive exhaust systems that don't add much else... or any of the open-element intakes that suck in hot air but sure are loud.
Well I would like the best of both worlds...as in no loss in power by sucking in hot air and a louder howl from the intake. JoeZ and a dremel it is?

Last edited by mjh09e; 05-24-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-08-11, 11:27 PM
is250noob
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone datalogged this to see if you truly do lose power or not because of extra heat? I'm very interested in doing a similar setup to this (Joe Z Pipe, K&N filter).
Old 06-09-11, 06:10 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Has anyone gotten negative feedback when taking their car into the dealer with a huge hole in the side of the airbox?

Quick Reply: So I drilled