Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I drilled

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 02:03 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking running an air duct to that area so that we will get more cold air.
For now, link to the Youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtPEtUfAQBc
Old 04-23-08, 02:09 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

So is the drilled air box sounds very much deeper than the stock air box?? or just a minimal change? from the video it sounds quite deep...have to hear it in person...
Old 04-23-08, 02:27 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

it is much deeper around 3500 to 4000 RPM, my video sound quality is not good enough.
Old 04-23-08, 03:49 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
+1, i totally agree with this, the OEM box is atleast a CAI type (due to its sealed nature and drawing air from the grill, also ram air style), the F-sport lower box has a big hole no longer making it CAI. F-sport intake = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement (R.I.C.E.)
I disagree with both you and caymandive. I think we need at least 45 more threads on intakes and exhaust. I think we should have articles with polls on them, such as "rate the loudness of your f-sport intake". These threads should be regurgitated every 3 days.
Old 04-23-08, 03:59 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by combfilter
I disagree with both you and caymandive. I think we need at least 45 more threads on intakes and exhaust. I think we should have articles with polls on them, such as "rate the loudness of your f-sport intake". These threads should be regurgitated every 3 days.
ROTFLMAO. Seriously, though, all we need is one TECH thread on subjects, and have it limited to tech q&a and owner's experience.

Back on topic though: I would think that the extra hole that the F-sport intake has would make it more "ram-air" like. Again, assuming that air from the front grille could actually get there.
Old 04-24-08, 05:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The IS-F (V8) may need more supply air, that’s why the extra hole. Or, it may be there for the extra sound. By adding holes the ram affect is gone and you have now introduced engine bay air. The only way to determine if there are any gains is to dyno before/after and get drag times/trap speeds before/after.

I think James is right on the money when he said "minuscule gains in power it's just not worth testing and debating".

Koz
Old 04-24-08, 10:29 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great thread first of all & Great discussion..

It always amazes me when people with no productive answers and no input about the discussion, can't refrain from clicking on this button..

Originally Posted by Koz
The IS-F (V8) may need more supply air, that’s why the extra hole. Or, it may be there for the extra sound. By adding holes the ram affect is gone and you have now introduced engine bay air. The only way to determine if there are any gains is to dyno before/after and get drag times/trap speeds before/after.

I think James is right on the money when he said "minuscule gains in power it's just not worth testing and debating".

Koz
Hey Koz

For the record, the OEM IS-F Intake Box and F-Sport Intake Box are very different in design... (not even close)

However, you are right about the V-8 IS-F needing more air...
Above 3,600 RPM's, the IS-F air box has a vacuum controlled door that flips open to suck more air in from the passenger side fender compartment.. During normal driving, the air is only sucked in through the one ram air scoop... When you floor it or pass 3,600 rpms, the second stage door opens and allows more air to flow into the box compartment.
This is why it carries the term "Two-stage Intake System"

Moving on to the F-Sport Box, I would "think" the hole is there to aid additional airflow into the air box under heavy acceleration...
I am sure there is an increase in noise.. However, I can not comment on whether there will be a power / torque gain or loss.
The hole is open all the time in this case.

Hopefully, this info will be provided by Lexus and their wonderful R&D team.
Since I would think they tested & dyno'd this set up many times...

I am Glad to see they finally caught on, on how to smooth out and optimize air flow in the IS intake system...

Which I have been doing since 2002...

Joe Z

P.S. - The hole in Air box is an old school concept / trick that many TRD performance part owners have done in the past on their own Toyota's..
Old 04-24-08, 11:51 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is embarrassing!

I'm sorry, to say it.

We are over here talking about "drilling holes," in our intake box.

While the 335i guys are talking about what Chip they are going to use and many how lbs of boost they are pushing.

Oh and to top it off, adding a second intercooler...

Again Sorry!

lol

Last edited by t0e; 04-24-08 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 12:34 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e

I'm sorry, to say it.

While the 335i guys are talking about what Chip they are going to use and how lbs of boost they are pushing.

Again Sorry!

lol

I agree
Old 04-24-08, 12:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by t0e

I'm sorry, to say it.

While the 335i guys are talking about what Chip they are going to use and how lbs of boost they are pushing.

Again Sorry!

lol
Ha ha.. OFF TOPIC...

Yeah Paul..

We can only work with what we have...

It must be tough for them to know we are running a V-6 3.5L 306 HP N/A and they are running a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder 300 HP, out of the box..

BMW owners will get more engine modification support and more warranty problems.

We get more HP, less to no engine mgmt support and a lot less un-scheduled visits to the dealership..

So... what day do you want me to comer over with my dremel???

Jz
Old 04-24-08, 12:49 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Ha ha.. OFF TOPIC...

Yeah Paul..

We can only work with what we have...

It must be tough for them to know we are running a V-6 3.5L 306 HP N/A and they are running a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder 300 HP, out of the box..

BMW owners will get more engine modification support and more warranty problems.

We get more HP, less to no engine mgmt support and a lot less un-scheduled visits to the dealership..

So... what day do you want me to comer over with my dremel???

Jz
+1 lol but it is funny to talk about drilling holes in our airboxes
Old 04-24-08, 04:35 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

F@K drilling holes...

my K&N has a big enough hole!

Hahaha!
Old 04-24-08, 05:05 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think we need a GB on dremels so we can all do this mod and get FASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. rofl.
Old 04-24-08, 06:40 PM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should we name this Lexus "A" (airbox) holes?
Old 04-24-08, 10:28 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

The avg. MPG is going down...I used to get 27.6 to 27.8MPG, now I am only getting 25.9 to 26.4. Maybe it is because of the way I drive the car differently. I floor it more now to hear the intake sound around 3500RPM+. I am loving it more, regardless of MPG... Thinking of going for a dyno this weekend with the air holes cover and without.. Will let you guys know.

Quick Reply: So I drilled