Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I drilled

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 01:36 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have to have a joe z intake tube then you can cut the holes?
Old 04-14-09, 04:00 PM
curtdragon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this thread too and just to put my thoughts out there I think that those ridges on the inside are just there to collect dirt. It is common on a lot of cars to have that design. Air gets sucked up hits the air filter and drops back down and collects between those ridges.
Most likely it wont be a power gainer but it does add sound for a nice effect.

Also some people were talking about why there wasnt an open air element if it makes more power. Well just like the stock exhaust its quiet
Old 04-14-09, 04:04 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glide
I've read this whole thread trying to figure out which intake to go with. Only one person said he liked his K&N.

Can a JOE Z with a drop in aftermarket hi-flow filter match the 11 hp gain of a K&N Typhoon? K&N are pretty good with they're R&D. See attached link http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2804

Looks like the best of both worlds, sound (I've used them on other cars) and hp. Comments?
I assure you the only person to measure an 11 hp gain on a 2IS from a K&N intake is K&N.

An open filter element won't do any better than a closed filter element because the -stock- intake already provides more air than the engine is capable of using. And in some cases it'll do worse because it'll be providing hotter air.
Old 04-14-09, 05:53 PM
Glide
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I assure you the only person to measure an 11 hp gain on a 2IS from a K&N intake is K&N.

An open filter element won't do any better than a closed filter element because the -stock- intake already provides more air than the engine is capable of using. And in some cases it'll do worse because it'll be providing hotter air.
1st, I don't believe K&N's HP claims either although I've seen a special on TV where they toured the factory and tested their air flow on different cars and dynoed them before and after. It's got to be at least 5-6.

2nd, The Typhoon is a true Cold Air Intake as it comes with a box and sucks air through the same place the factory box did.

3rd, I'm not promoting them, I was just curious what other members thought of them as I'm in the market for something and I want the best.

Last edited by Glide; 04-14-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 07:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, and the Joe Z intake, which costs a ton less, adds the same power and also sucks air from the factory location.

Hence I think the K&N kit is very overpriced for something that'll produce the same results as the Joe Z intake.
Old 04-17-09, 11:01 AM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

So what were the long term effects of drilling holes did this subject ever get a consenses?
Old 04-17-09, 04:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickRSM
So what were the long term effects of drilling holes did this subject ever get a consenses?
I believe there is only one possibility for long term outcome:

A little bit more noise, and a microscopic reduction in power.
Old 04-17-09, 08:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be very surprised if there was any loss of power measurable inside the margin of error of whatever you tried to measure it with.
Old 04-18-09, 08:19 PM
Glide
Rookie

I ended up with the K&N Typhoon CAI for $200 from Ebay.
Old 04-22-09, 12:50 PM
Doco21
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one to notice the twin bumps in FS's intake that helps deflect it a bit. The original fins looks like they are helping to guide the airflow and is most likely there to help dampen the noise. I've noticed that most designs are for the target dB levels and performance for the general mass.

That said, I find it very funny that another thread is debating just a few horses. I wish someone would creatively find a way to get more power...
Old 08-05-09, 10:11 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any negative affects to this yet?

I just picked up a F-Sport Exhaust last week and have a Joe Z on the way. I wouldn't mind some intake noise to complement the exhaust.
Old 08-30-09, 04:01 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

in the process of doing the same... one question: on the side of the lower intake box, there's a wire running along the side. i tried pulling it out and stuff but i cant get it detached from the lower intake box. any suggestions?
Old 08-30-09, 08:31 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just didn't pull hard enough. It is just a little plastic t-clip that is holding that in. Just make sure you don't pull on the wire and that you pull on the clip. It'll come out....
Old 08-30-09, 09:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by gdcheng
You just didn't pull hard enough. It is just a little plastic t-clip that is holding that in. Just make sure you don't pull on the wire and that you pull on the clip. It'll come out....
Actually if you turn it over you'll see two small catches on the sides in the long direction. Squeeze them in gently with a pair of pliers and the wire mount will come right out of the hole. Pulling on it will very often break the clip.
Old 08-30-09, 09:19 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks lobuxracer. I must have just gotten lucky with mine...

Quick Reply: So I drilled