Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I drilled

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 10:37 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys!!
Old 02-07-10, 11:47 AM
mikechu8
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, im just being cheap. i don't have a aftermarket on my 350. but i want the growl. will cutting a whole in the front, yet retaining my stock piping create a growl. because for me, what i think is that the minuscule performance added from any aftermarket intake is not needed for me. any advise?
Old 02-07-10, 11:57 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We drive a Lexus...you got to pay to play and to answer your question, no it shouldn't make much of a difference with a few holes in your stock intake.
Old 02-07-10, 01:07 PM
mikechu8
Driver School Candidate

so, holes with joez? or no hole with joez? are you against holes?
i know for sure i don't want a short ram. Cali gets pretty hot in the summers.

i think i didn't make it clear, i don't want f-sport due to the price. i think you would prefer f-sport.

F-sport is basically a joez pipe with stock intake box which has a hole in front, with a license. Correct me if i am wrong.

my ultimate question is, with the stock intake pipe which is around 3 inches. which is quite big already. With an opening in the front of the intake box like a f-sport intake box. Will it create a deep roar sound similar to the f-sport?
Old 02-07-10, 01:25 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikechu8
so, holes with joez? or no hole with joez? are you against holes?
i know for sure i don't want a short ram. Cali gets pretty hot in the summers.

i think i didn't make it clear, i don't want f-sport due to the price. i think you would prefer f-sport.

F-sport is basically a joez pipe with stock intake box which has a hole in front, with a license. Correct me if i am wrong.

my ultimate question is, with the stock intake pipe which is around 3 inches. which is quite big already. With an opening in the front of the intake box like a f-sport intake box. Will it create a deep roar sound similar to the f-sport?
You said you had stock an stock intake and not a Joe Z, if you do have a Joe Z then yes drilling holes will help and make it sound similar to the F-Sport. Yes Joe z is a pipe and stock intake box just like the F-Sport except F-sport uses a lower portion that already has a square cutout on the bottom. Anyways our cars are all show no goes anyways, what's 3hp going to do for us. If you really want sounds spend your money on a Injen or Fujita intake and then an exhaust. I myself live in cali and I have a short ram, the power gained or loss isn't noticeable. To answer your real question, stock intake pipe and drilled holes shouldn't give you a real difference in sounds but you can try it. If it fails then just buy a joe z pipe for like 60 and there you go you got a joe z intake with drilled holes. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by Sytfu_IS; 02-07-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 04:23 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

i'd think it'd make a difference in sound(it can't get any quieter thats fer sure), i put the joe Z tube on my friend's car and honestly i couldn't hear a sound difference. if there was, it was very very miniscule. so if that by itself doesn't do much, the holes make most of the noise
Old 02-07-10, 08:54 PM
mikechu8
Driver School Candidate

i agree with the both of u, i have no need for the minuscule increase in power, if any at all.
but i do like sound. not loud, but something subtle, deep roar.
i might drill, will let u guys know IF that happens.
Old 02-07-10, 08:55 PM
mikechu8
Driver School Candidate

anybody got hook up for blitz drop in filter?
Old 02-07-10, 10:36 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikechu8
i agree with the both of u, i have no need for the minuscule increase in power, if any at all.
but i do like sound. not loud, but something subtle, deep roar.
i might drill, will let u guys know IF that happens.

Yes it will make a difference in sound,

But before you drill try removing ur intake snorkel if all u wnat is sound (perf will drop slightly but car will be more responsive).

If you want, test it out, try removing the intake snorkle. search on here for instructions. Its REAL simple and effective. Sounds aggressive as hell.

IMO Unless u get the Joez dont cut holes.
Old 04-16-10, 04:12 PM
albis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ndk83
Yes it will make a difference in sound,

But before you drill try removing ur intake snorkel if all u wnat is sound (perf will drop slightly but car will be more responsive).

If you want, test it out, try removing the intake snorkle. search on here for instructions. Its REAL simple and effective. Sounds aggressive as hell.

IMO Unless u get the Joez dont cut holes.
I took out the snorkel in my car and yes sounds mean as hell plus super easy to take out......put it back on after two weeks driving without it the sound is amazing but did notice a slight drop on mpg....did not notice any performance drop or gain will be testing it out next time i go to the track gonna do a couple of passes with and without it will be posting back once i do that...
Old 04-16-10, 07:08 PM
Seattle_IS
Driver School Candidate

I cut some long holes in the airbox a few weeks ago (Joe Z Intake).... by far the best free MOD. Sounds much more aggressive.
Old 04-16-10, 09:50 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

post some pics ! you are flooring for the sound @ 3.5K rpm right?
Old 04-18-10, 07:45 PM
Seattle_IS
Driver School Candidate

Here's a picture of mine:

Old 04-23-10, 07:03 AM
LandonZ
Rookie

I bought a joeZ and I plan on cutting a big in the front of the box and then installing the snorkel back on the front. I did notice a lose in gas mileage as well. Ill keep you updated
Old 04-14-11, 09:35 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great thread first of all & Great discussion..

It always amazes me when people with no productive answers and no input about the discussion, can't refrain from clicking on this button..

Hey Koz

For the record, the OEM IS-F Intake Box and F-Sport Intake Box are very different in design... (not even close)

However, you are right about the V-8 IS-F needing more air...
Above 3,600 RPM's, the IS-F air box has a vacuum controlled door that flips open to suck more air in from the passenger side fender compartment.. During normal driving, the air is only sucked in through the one ram air scoop... When you floor it or pass 3,600 rpms, the second stage door opens and allows more air to flow into the box compartment.
This is why it carries the term "Two-stage Intake System"

Moving on to the F-Sport Box, I would "think" the hole is there to aid additional airflow into the air box under heavy acceleration...
I am sure there is an increase in noise.. However, I can not comment on whether there will be a power / torque gain or loss.
The hole is open all the time in this case.

Hopefully, this info will be provided by Lexus and their wonderful R&D team.
Since I would think they tested & dyno'd this set up many times...

I am Glad to see they finally caught on, on how to smooth out and optimize air flow in the IS intake system...

Which I have been doing since 2002...

Joe Z

P.S. - The hole in Air box is an old school concept / trick that many TRD performance part owners have done in the past on their own Toyota's..
Nice....but it saddens me that a non-luxury sport car such as the 2003 Mazda6 has had the 2 stage intake system and the ISx50 does not.

see this post for more info...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6309980-post8.html

Quick Reply: So I drilled