Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Performance Air Intake on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 09:10 AM
spartanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does sound sweet! Pardon my ignorance, but I wonder if most of that sweet sound comes from the exhaust.
Old 04-26-08, 10:19 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Installation of F-Sport Performance Air Intake

Originally Posted by iKenn
They let you watch them install it?
Yes, they let me watch up until you see the video stop showing the installation. That's when someone came over an invited me to leave due to "safety reasons." I don't blame them. I'm sure their insurance requires customers to be away from the work area.
Old 04-26-08, 10:29 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spartanz
It does sound sweet! Pardon my ignorance, but I wonder if most of that sweet sound comes from the exhaust.
Most of what you hear is the Tanabe exhaust at the lower speeds and the initial acceleration. You can hear the air intake howl when you floor the car or give it a lot of gas. I can hear it really clear when driving the car. Making the video was hard because I tried to keep the windows up to keep the wind noise to a minimum.
Old 04-26-08, 11:40 AM
spartanz
Driver School Candidate

I have to say that I had to strain to hear the intake howl. You're right, its not easy to make the video. But I have to say that your exhaust does sound sweet! Makes me tempted to get one too!
Old 04-27-08, 09:54 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Man I love this intake!!!!

Sounds just like my car....

Joe Z
Old 04-27-08, 03:49 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

I thought JoeZ intake only had a small diff in sound at WOT? Most people claim the FSport starts at 4k RPM & gets louder at WOT.
Old 04-27-08, 05:34 PM
wilwilB
Driver

sounds sweet! how much did u pay for it? it starts @ 4k rpm? I barely drive pass 3.5k cuz of gas price=( I wonder how much diff it sounds on 250?
Old 04-27-08, 06:07 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wilwilB
sounds sweet! how much did u pay for it? it starts @ 4k rpm? I barely drive pass 3.5k cuz of gas price=( I wonder how much diff it sounds on 250?
Here is a link to the F-Sport suggested resale price list the dealer gave me:

http://www.mastersdiving.com/lexus/08FSportPricing.pdf

I paid $100 to get it installed. The retail prices are also posted on the Lexus website at:
http://www.lexus.com/f-sport/overview.html

It usually starts somewhere between 3,000-4,000 RPM. I noticed it isn't the same all the time and depends on how fast I'm trying to accelerate, car speed at the time I push on the gas, etc.

I'm actually getting better gas mileage and I don't know why. I'm going to monitor that as well to see what is going on. I can't help you on the sound for the IS250. You might ask your dealer or mechanic in case they have installed any on the 250.

Last edited by twitte; 04-27-08 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 06:54 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
I was just about to post that... Just went on a 200 mile roundtrip and got about a 2-3 MPG increase. This was about 80% freeway and 20% local, so if it was more local then those numbers might have been a bit smaller... Other than that, I felt NO increase in throttle or performance (that was expected). As for the question of loudness, I'm not sure what to say. You can definitely tell that there is a difference. I can't really say that it's louder but the intake is very audible. It's as loud as the engine is when you floor it and above 3,500-4,000 rpms. So it kind of replaces the higher pitched engine noise that you experience after 3,500-4,000 rpms with a deeper grunt.
Old 04-27-08, 07:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Guys - were in the transition month from winter to summer fuel mix. You will pick up ~5 - 10% mpg because the oxygenates are lower in summer than winter.

I've done absolutely NOTHING to my car and seen my city mileage go from 20.5 to 22.6, and even as high as 23.8 in the last two weeks. NO changes - not oil, not air filter, nothing....
Old 04-27-08, 07:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

even a JoeZ pipe alone made 6 rwhp at mid-high rpms, F-Sport has a different and less restrictive airbox in addition, wouldnt be surprised if it made a little more
Old 04-27-08, 07:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
even a JoeZ pipe alone made 6 rwhp at mid-high rpms, F-Sport has a different and less restrictive airbox in addition, wouldnt be surprised if it made a little more
Assuming the airbox is restrictive from the factory. There is no evidence to support this even after the million or so threads in this forum on intakes. There are no real world tests (dyno tests of intakes are all but worthless) showing any intake makes the car accelerate quicker. All subjective testing indicates you can change the sound of the intake with a kit.

Lexus makes NO claims the new intake does anything except legally replace the existing box for all 50 states.

Having read the million or so threads on intakes in this forum, the only conclusion that seems reasonable is get an intake if you want to hear something different.
Old 04-27-08, 07:50 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Having read the million or so threads on intakes in this forum, the only conclusion that seems reasonable is get an intake if you want to hear something different.
I totally agree. but can someone tell me how loud F-Sport is compared to JoeZ. I dont care about the increase in rwhp, all I care is sound and NO Check Engine Light..that's all.

and after reading tons of reviews here, JoeZ adds almost insignificant sound, but F-Sport is louder than JoeZ. So, if you want sound and willing to spend more, and dont want to mess with CEL, get F-Sport!!
Old 04-27-08, 08:00 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
So, if you want sound and willing to spend more, and dont want to mess with CEL, get F-Sport!!
Who said anything about a Joe-Z throwing a CEL?? That sounds slanderous.
Old 04-27-08, 08:02 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There are no real world tests (dyno tests of intakes are all but worthless) showing any intake makes the car accelerate quicker.
I just took a look at the K&N website and here is what they claim:

"GUARANTEED HORSEPOWER
We will not sell an air intake that does not provide a measured increase in horsepower and torque (acceleration). Our air intakes are proven to increase horsepower and torque on a rear-wheel dynamometer (think treadmill for cars). These thoroughly engineered air intakes provide huge increases in power that a customer will definitely feel when they accelerate. See our horsepower guarantee."

Here is more on their horsepower guarantee:
http://www.knfilters.com/HPGuarantee.htm

Quick Reply: F-Sport Performance Air Intake on IS350