Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Performance Air Intake on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 08:06 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
Who said anything about a Joe-Z throwing a CEL?? That sounds slanderous.
wow..wew..i didnt say joez throwing a CEL, i said both f-sport and JoeZ are save with CEL.. i know there are many intakes that produce louder sounds than these two..but they may mess up with CEL... so I narrow it down to JoeZ and F-sport...if sound is priority, then get F-Sport..
Old 04-27-08, 08:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by twitte
I just took a look at the K&N website and here is what they claim:

"GUARANTEED HORSEPOWER
We will not sell an air intake that does not provide a measured increase in horsepower and torque (acceleration). Our air intakes are proven to increase horsepower and torque on a rear-wheel dynamometer (think treadmill for cars). These thoroughly engineered air intakes provide huge increases in power that a customer will definitely feel when they accelerate. See our horsepower guarantee."

Here is more on their horsepower guarantee:
http://www.knfilters.com/HPGuarantee.htm
Yeah, I know. I put their product on one of my bikes and immediately went slower. A lot slower. So much for guarantees.

Besides, do you want the car to spin up a set of rollers faster, or do you want to get from A to B more quickly? I really couldn't care less what an intake delivers with the hood up and a fan blowing on the front of the car. I've never driven with my hood open intentionally, and I'd bet money the results with the hood down are considerably different than with it open. At least that's been my experience over the last 15 years or so with dyno testing.
Old 04-28-08, 06:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Assuming the airbox is restrictive from the factory. There is no evidence to support this even after the million or so threads in this forum on intakes. There are no real world tests (dyno tests of intakes are all but worthless) showing any intake makes the car accelerate quicker. All subjective testing indicates you can change the sound of the intake with a kit.

Lexus makes NO claims the new intake does anything except legally replace the existing box for all 50 states.

Having read the million or so threads on intakes in this forum, the only conclusion that seems reasonable is get an intake if you want to hear something different.
there is a thread around that compared the two airboxes and the F sport one has an extra opening, hence why the induction noise is louder. F Sport one is less restrictive in that regard. Restrictions are put on intakes to keep the engine noise down
Old 04-28-08, 09:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Invest in a Dremel if you want your OEM airbox to be a tad bit louder... ...

This is an old school trick done by many Toyota truck/car owners in the past.. Especially when they ran a TRD drop in filter..

Joe Z