Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny Fluid leak.....help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 01:23 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tranny Fluid leak.....help

I just picked up my 98 GS300 w/34K miles two weeks ago, and this morning I noticed a transmission fluid leak coming from somewhere.....(haven't had it up on a lift yet) I called my local Lex dealer (Rohrich Lexus in Pittsburgh) and talked to Garrett in service. He asked me if my car had "been maintained" or not before I owned it. Since I don't have any service records on this car, he ran my VIN. Their system showed that car had only been in once.... for the free first oil change.

My question is: Garrett claims that if the car has "been maintained" then it should be covered under warranty. He also said that by now, the trans should have been flushed at least twice. That apparently would help my chances of having this covered. He finished by saying that "if it was just a gasket" he would cover it. I'm thinking what kind of ***** is this??? I thought this car was covered bumper to bumper for 4yrs/50K miles, let alone powertrain. I have an appt for Monday for them to look at it. Should I be ready to strangle someone when I get there????

Opinions?????? (sorry for the long post)

Last edited by ebruce2; 02-07-02 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-07-02, 02:46 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

The warranty assumes that maintenance has been done following the schedule in the maintenance manual. If it was done by someplace other than Lexus it won't be in Lexus's computer, but if you can show it was done it will satisfy the maintenance requirement. If the previous owner never serviced it then the lack of maintence can contribute to the problems (and void the warranty).

So what your dealer is asking for is some proof that the car has been serviced as the manual calls for. Any chance you can get the service records from the previous owner?
Old 02-07-02, 02:59 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

RealMarty,

I bought the vehicle from a high-line used dealer in the area, and they don't have any service records on the car. This car was initially registered in NY and I am in PA. I guess I just basically relied on the carfax report for checking to see if there were any previous problems. What was I thinking???

Anyway, the service guy did say that if the fluid looked clean (indicating a flush) that I would more than likely be OK. It is still a nice bright shade of red/pink.........Kinda shaking in my boots since I walked into the dealer and saw the "service menu" $75.00/hr labor.

At this point I don't see what I can do concerning any future warranty issues, other than take it in at 45K for scheduled visit??!!??
Old 02-07-02, 05:45 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ebruceii
At this point I don't see what I can do concerning any future warranty issues, other than take it in at 45K for scheduled visit??!!??
Can't answer that one. Perhaps someone else on the site can...or you could call Lexus customer service.
Old 02-07-02, 06:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Obviously Real Marty hit it on the head. You don't have to take it to Lexus for the recommended maintenance, but in order to keep the warranty, you have to perform the maintenance as required. In fact, leases have this provision as part of the lease regardless of warranty impact. This won't be cheap either but when you take it in why not have them do a 30K maintenance. At least get it in the computer that you have gotten some of the maintenance done. Could help with any future warranty work. Lexus is probably better than anyone on a reliable car but there are a lot of people, especially those that want to turn a car over every two or three years, who are terrible on maintenance. By keeping a newer car, these people are avoiding the bills and stranding that they will eventually get by not performing routine maintenance. Last sickening item is that this is innevitably why the dealers (Lexus, BMW, Merc) skim the cream used cars - the ones with the dealer performed maintenance records - for the certified cars. Hope everything turns out OK.
Old 02-08-02, 01:22 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the input. RON430, I think I just might take your advice and have them do the 30K maint while it's in there. It'll set me back $495.00, but it will be well worth it.