Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which exhaust is quieter for the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 04:34 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which exhaust is quieter for the IS?

Magnaflow or Tanabe?
Old 05-03-08, 04:37 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-03-08, 04:39 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Dude, just answer the question. IF you don't know, why post? Search came up with tons of subjects related to exhaust and I'm not about to search through every single thread just to get the answer.
Old 05-03-08, 04:42 PM
silksdj
Driver School Candidate

If your looking for added performance with a quiet sound the HKS Ti Limited is a good one to go with.
Old 05-03-08, 04:42 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

everyone has their own opinion on that question...if you want a quite exhaust stick with stock.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=337570
Old 05-03-08, 04:44 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Didnt mean to sound **** about it, but I narrowed it down to Magnaflow and Tanabe. I read a lot of posts regarding those two exhaust but very few members on here have Magnaflow. I know that Tanabe has a more quieter tone. Stock is just too quiet. But I don't hear much reviews in regards to Magnaflow mufflers. HKS and Borla are definitely out of the question since everyone on here say how loud they are.
Old 05-03-08, 04:47 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

i have the hks hi power and to me it's not that loud...just attend some local meats in your area and judge the sound for yourself.
Old 05-03-08, 05:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tanabe is the exhaust of choice around here for a quieter exhaust! I have it and IMO its perfect. Its got a nice sport note to it but I am not heard blocks away!
Old 05-03-08, 05:10 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you search in the 2IS you can see how it looks on my car. I just posted photos on Friday if that is of help. There are more pics on the 3rd page I think and you will see a shot of the rear of the car!

Enjoy!
Mike
Old 05-03-08, 09:16 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Lexus HKS exhaust here. I got it for a real good deal.

My second choice is the Tanabe
Old 05-04-08, 03:30 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies. Any good deals going on now for the Tanabe exhaust? I've decided to keep the IS250 instead of getting the Accord Coupe. I think the tip of the Tanabe will make the car look super nice (more noticeable, no doubt).

I'm thinking of also adding the Joe-Z pipe too because it looks super simple to do (since it only entails replacing the stock pipe). It's cheap too compared to the F-Sport intake. I'm still curious as to how replacing a simple pipe can actually improve performance though. But it looks like it's proven technology and I like the sound it produces--from what people say at least. The IS is just way too quiet for a sport sedan, you know what I mean? Even the Accords and Civics have the agressive stock sport mufflers available, the G35's have the sport tuned exhaust, Evos and STIs--you know they're going to sound good stock being force fed.

It needs some agressive sounds to make it live up to its name.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 05-04-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 04:14 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
The IS is just way too quiet for a sport sedan, you know what I mean? Even the Accords and Civics have the agressive stock sport mufflers available, the G35's have the sport tuned exhaust, Evos and STIs--you know they're going to sound good stock being force fed.

Ummm lexus is known for being smooth and quiet.. that's their claim to fame and in that regard quiet is good not bad. Lexus is not Subaru or Nissan. If you liked something that's firm riding, sporty sounding and cheaper why didn't you get an infiniti?
Old 05-04-08, 04:49 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Is there anyone on here with a Magnaflow exhaust system? I heard one off of Youtube, and it sounds really similar to the Tanabe exhaust--if not, quieter. Is this true?
Old 05-04-08, 06:40 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You will not get straight answer because different people are opinionated about how loud is loud. I had Tanabe and I thought it was way too loud for me, esp in interior. I did not like the droning sound at 3500 rpm. I like the startup thats it. I got a new IS and not planning on getting Tanabe again and stick with stock. For some people Tanabe is considered very quiet. Tanabe even advertises as below 93db.
Old 05-04-08, 06:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Thanks for the replies. Any good deals going on now for the Tanabe exhaust? I've decided to keep the IS250 instead of getting the Accord Coupe. I think the tip of the Tanabe will make the car look super nice (more noticeable, no doubt).

I'm thinking of also adding the Joe-Z pipe too because it looks super simple to do (since it only entails replacing the stock pipe). It's cheap too compared to the F-Sport intake. I'm still curious as to how replacing a simple pipe can actually improve performance though. But it looks like it's proven technology and I like the sound it produces--from what people say at least. The IS is just way too quiet for a sport sedan, you know what I mean? Even the Accords and Civics have the agressive stock sport mufflers available, the G35's have the sport tuned exhaust, Evos and STIs--you know they're going to sound good stock being force fed.

You know that Lexus does offer F sport exhaust or formally Lexus HKS exhaust as an option right?

Quick Reply: Which exhaust is quieter for the IS?