Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear Mount Turbo Set-up !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 08:10 AM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mount Turbo Set-up !!!!!!

has anyone considered or tried to do a rear mount turbo setup similiar to the sts turbo setup on a gs400/430 ? ive seen them on gto's and camaros in town and they lay down 500+whp with ease ! just a thought of mine since a srt intake,headers,catback exhaust,3.76 rear end will easily set you back a cool 2-3grand in parts without labor! why not spend a couple more g's and do a remote rear mount turbo setup with a t-61 or larger turbo and get 500+whp ! im highly thinking about doing a remote turbo setup which a supercharger will not give you the hp gains compared to the turbo setup and cost you alot more in parts compared to the turbo set up and all the people that have ran the rear mount have close to no turbo lag and great power gains ! alot of the cars/truck with a remote setup dont even have intercoolers. what ive been told is that the air that passing under the vehicle cools the charge pipe before it gets to the intake ! actually i have most of the main parts needed to do this setup sitting in my garage. i'll have to call dana @ virtual works and see what else i'll need and whats labor going to run to complete the job ! just my input ! thanks for taking time and reading this !
Old 05-05-08, 01:32 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Told that many people that runs STS also run a front mount as it doesn't cool enough.

STS have no lag? right..... My DSM with a big 16G, (basically a Evo's turbo) with a front mount, it's got lag that in mid rpms takes about 1-2 seconds to full boost.

For 500hp in a GS, I think you need to beef up your tranny with tranny cooler and valve body upgrade so it doesn't slip...

I wanted to see how a STS system work on a GS also, but I'm also concerning about all the dirt and debris hitting the turbo and pipings, especially for lowered cars, you'll most likely have heard scrapping your exhaust... think about that in pressurized form that if you blew, it can't really run....
Old 05-06-08, 03:31 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but most GS folks aren't willing to spend what it takes get a GS strong enough to hold up to twin turbos, much less the cash for a proper twin turbo kit. That's really what it boils down to. There's aleady a couple of turbo kits on the market and it's just a rough guess, but if you're talking to VW about it, it's going to be comparable in price to what's already out there.

Thanks man,

Eric
Old 05-06-08, 05:30 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I actually was thinking about going this route before I went the classical TT way. My tuner/installer looked really hard into it and couldn't find a good place to mount the remote turbo. He already installed one on a Toyota Tundra and it hauled ***!! The other setup he placed on a Honda Ridgeline and that was pretty damned impressive as well. The only thing is that if it rains, any lowered car will have some problems with intake of water. But if you create a snorkel type system I figure you would be ok.
Old 05-06-08, 05:35 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Emerald, chime in.
Old 05-07-08, 08:23 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I actually was thinking about going this route before I went the classical TT way. My tuner/installer looked really hard into it and couldn't find a good place to mount the remote turbo. He already installed one on a Toyota Tundra and it hauled ***!! The other setup he placed on a Honda Ridgeline and that was pretty damned impressive as well. The only thing is that if it rains, any lowered car will have some problems with intake of water. But if you create a snorkel type system I figure you would be ok.
I agree. A remote/rear mount turbo is a proven design but performance varies depending on application. There are 2 problems with Lexus sedans. First is limited ground clearance. This would dictate 2 smaller turbos. Next is sound control. Two (or one) rear mount turbo like STS runs on Firebirds and Camaros does not use a muffler after the turbo. Loud exhaust on those cars is arguably acceptable but out of place on a Lexus.

Two small turbos mounted in the primary catalsyst location on a GS4xx would provided plenty of compressor capacity for 500-600hp, have superior response to the same turbos rear mounted and still allow whatever exhaust and muffler combination desired.

While the rear mount does offer modest charge cooling it is nowhere close to a decent intercooler. Either layout should be intercooled.
Old 05-07-08, 01:58 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if sound is a concern, I think putting a muffler before the turbo/s should be ok... maybe replace the resonator if needed with the muffler...

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-08, 04:30 AM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

hi98 ! your TT'd ? anypics of the setup i can check out ? what kinda hp ? what size turbo's
Old 05-14-08, 05:17 AM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

www.ststurbo.com
Old 05-14-08, 07:54 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
Emerald, chime in.
There's also another member that did a rear mount on a GS (her's is on a SC right?).
Old 05-15-08, 09:56 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I really, really, really want to do this.......

-Joe
Old 05-15-08, 10:45 AM
c0wboy
Banned

There's no short cuts guys.

Eric